My cat died suddenly!

by Fisherman 46 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Fisherman - so sorry for the loss of your kitty.

millie - that's a great quote -- thank you for sharing.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I am so sorry for your loss, Fisherman. (Hugs of understanding and comfort)

Two years ago today, I lost my pretty Juliette to ear cancer. Even though a lot of money was spent on treatment, 6 months later, it came back with a vengeance.

Sending caring thoughts your way.

LoisLane

• Alive!
    Alive!

Fisherman,

it sounds like he was a darling oriental syphnx cat, being hairless.

I've had and have 4 beautiful oriental cats in the course of my life - each one was and is individually irreplaceable - the utterly wonderful things they do, the sheer joy, laughter and tenderness they bring into our lives.

No words to describe the pain of loss - but somehow the loss softens.....and the grief turns into something else that is kinder. You know?

Your boy sounds very special, what a delicious life he must have had with you (((( hugs)))

• kaik
    kaik
    Sorry to hear about lose of your kitty. I am a cat person and grew up with them. I have one Asian leopard hybrid and he is the most affectionate cat I so far had. I had cat for 18 years and died due old age, and I was very sad. I consider my cat to be a part of the family. They have own personality, and show their love. My cat walks me to the door when I go to work, and greets me at the window when I am back. Sudden cat death is actually common. Cats are picky eater, so I do not think it was poison, but cat suffer with kidney failure and respiratory disease. One of my cat died from cancer. He had a tumor in his belly and died several weeks later. Cherish memory of your kitty. I miss my cat of 18 years and I still wish I have him around.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Sorry Fisher.
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo

That's really so very sad Fisherman.. people underestimate just how close we can become to animals and the pain is multiplied unbelievably when we see them suffer. Animals are so very precious.

Really sorry for you.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

House cats often get a blockade in the UI track, if not treated leads to death. They will be in lots of pain, while trying to pee, but can't. Throwing up, is not unusual. It happens more in male cats, but can be in either. The cat food we feed them, needs to be for inside cats, and brands like Iams, tend to be best. Indoor out door cats are far less likely to have this problem, but they still can!

I am so very sorry, I know how much it hurts!

Dwain

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am so sorry for your loss. I almost lost my cat two weeks ago, so I understand how hard that is. My Lizzie suddenly stopped eating and drinking, she had a high fever. The vet gave antibiotics and intravenous fluids. The test came back as indicating a liver or gallbladder issue. At first she still didn't eat, I had to force food and water. She started getting better a few days after the vet visit and an ultrasound showed no issues. I realized she was on the mend when she started milking the attention. They said she had a gallbladder attack, likely something she ate that didn't agree with her? I have switched to a higher quality food, apparently some cats cannot tolerate the traditional commercial cat food. The vet said it's like McDonald's food, it tastes great, but there are better foods out there, regular commercial cat food is high in acid. I also used to give her a lot of treats, she loves her treats, and would do tricks for them, but they are higher in fat. So, Trader Joe's cat food, holistic treats and not many of them.

It's hard to say what went wrong with your cat. Possibly she ingested a poison or toxin somehow? Or she is one that cannot tolerate cheap cat food? It could be she had a genetic defects. Who knows?

This whole thing made me aware of how attached I am to my cat. I have always been an animal lover, but my husband works long hours and she is my companion. She is smart and funny and loves me madly. She works hard at communicating her wishes, plays little jokes on me (grabbing my ankles under the bed, sneaking up and giving me a scare, etc.), she even enjoys music. I almost want to distance myself from her so it won't be so painful if something happens, but I don't think I have it in me.

Pets really worm their way into your heart that's for sure, so I get how hard this can be.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Dang, I am so sorry and can completely feel your pain. I have lost many dear animals over the years, mostly cats. It hurts so badly to lose one and is so sad. It does lead to, as you said, an emptiness.

I was thinking what DwainBowman said about the urinary tract blockage. I've had a number of males that had that.

LisaRose, sorry for your loss, too. I have shed many tears and hurt so deeply in my heart over such losses.

• kaik
    kaik
    I had once issue with a cat licking a paint on the wall. We painted on room, and my cat started licking the wall and threw up. We had to repaint the wall and she stopped doing it. However, cats are also picky either, but they have their weird tastes. The cat I had for 18 years loved donuts, and other liked fries and mayo. My leopard is more stuck on his cat food and does not care much about human food nor does he begs for it. But he is messy either and he likes to plays with his food. I have to stand by him when I feed him and telling him that he is a good boy and he eat his bowl. Otherwise he will smear it all over the floor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit