Memo shows Trump tried to end investigation in Feb.

by Coded Logic 134 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. The memo was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence a continuing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.

Mr. Comey shared the existence of the memo with senior F.B.I. officials and close associates. The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey’s associates read parts of the memo to a Times reporter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

• bohm
    bohm

man...

this week is off to a great start for the Trump-train. I wonder how democrats will be blamed for this as well?

Speaking of things going well, my memory may be failing, but I seem to recall reading something about improper disclosure of confidential information was "bad". Can that be true?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

By Julia Edwards Ainsley writing for Reuters:

Following advice, potential FBI chiefs steer clear of job under Trump

It seems that professionals are horrified of being promoted by Trump even to the point of transferring overseas. Could they know something that Trump supporters don't?

• bohm
    bohm

Imagine that Obama called the FBI director at the height of the Benghazi thing and told him that Hillary was a good person and he should consider "letting Hillary go". I bet everyone would be like: yah, the real story here is the leaks ;-).

So we got: FBI is investigating Trump. First Trump tries to tell the FBI director to let it go, then he fires him, then he says he fired him because he would not let it go.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Is this considered obstruction of justice?
  • bohm
    bohm

Coded Logic: Good question. I am hearing conflicting things. I would watch lawfareblog for an update, they have a team of real scholars.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Amazing
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Memo shows Trump tried to end investigation in Feb.

this week is off to a great start for the Trump-train.....bohm

Image result for train wreck

"Shit-shit-shit-shit-shit....Oh Gawd!... Shit!!"

Image result for donald trump shocked

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Obstruction of Justice: 18 U.S. Code § 1503

(a)
    Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication, endeavors to influence, intimidate, or impede any grand or petit juror, or officer in or of any court of the United States, or officer who may be serving at any examination or other proceeding before any United States magistrate judge or other committing magistrate, in the discharge of his duty, or injures any such grand or petit juror in his person or property on account of any verdict or indictment assented to by him, or on account of his being or having been such juror, or injures any such officer, magistrate judge, or other committing magistrate in his person or property on account of the performance of his official duties, or corruptly or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication, influences, obstructs, or impedes, or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede, the due administration of justice, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b). If the offense under this section occurs in connection with a trial of a criminal case, and the act in violation of this section involves the threat of physical force or physical force, the maximum term of imprisonment which may be imposed for the offense shall be the higher of that otherwise provided by law or the maximum term that could have been imposed for any offense charged in such case.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is this considered obstruction of justice?.....Coded Logic

That`s a jump at the moment, it needs to be investigated..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit