THEY'VE DONE IT!!!! The WBTS set a new date!

by dmouse 208 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Quite a few posters have made the point that it will be the more 'inquisitive' and 'intelligent' JW's who will see the so-called connection that the WT is trying to make between Noahs' 120 years and the present time since 1914. However, there may be a serious flaw in this reasoning.

Even in dubdom, the reasonably intelligent individuals will soon remember that Noah lived to be 950 years old, hence a period of 120 years would only represent one eighth of his lifespan. Can this length of time - 120 years - really be applied to persons who only live about a tenth as long as Noah if they're lucky?

Surely Noahs' 120 years would only equal about 10 or 11 of ours. (1914 -1925 . . . . . spooky!)

Basically, Noah was a dude and we're all bitches living out our dog years.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

SC, welcome. And pls stay around.

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Awww heck! That was your first post SC_Guy and I didn't even say Hi! - How French of me.

Welcome to the board man!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi SC_Guy, and welcome!

There may be a strategy behind the emphasis on the "Days of Noah" routine - it gets the WTS off the hook when the centennial of 1914 rolls around in 2014!

Rather than Dubs thinking, "Hey, wait a minute..." They'll be pre-programmed to say, "Yes, it's been 100 years since Christ came to authority in the invisible spirit realm - SO WHAT? - Noah waited 120 years for the flood..."

It will never occur to them to consider that, as Nicolaou just pointed out, Noah (according to the myth) lived to be almost 1000 years old.

Many, many antitypical "Noahs" (preachers of apocalypse, Dub or otherwise) have gone to their graves since 1914, and they will continue to do so, as they await a day that is never coming.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

There is nothing that the GB puts in print that they have not already thought out. The subtle innuendo of 120 years past 1914 the GB knows that the rank and file will view as "new light." The fact that they did not come right out and say it gives them a way out when it proves to be wrong. Wonderful way of covering your butt MoonyMoonyMoony and still maintaining power and control through fear and intimidation.

Welcome SC hope to see you around. Glad you are here.

Leslie

• Latte
    Latte

Just to settle this once and for all???..

Wachtower September 15 th 2003 p.25

?Expectation postponed is making the heart sick,? Solomon states, ? but the thing desired is a tree of life when it does come.? (proverbs 13:12) Unfulfilled expectation are bound to lead to disappointments that make the heart sick. This happens in everyday life. However, this is not the case with the expectations that are solidly based on god?s Word. We can have complete confidence that they will be fulfilled. Even apparent delays are less likely to be disappointing.

For example, we know that God?s new world is imminent. (2 peter 3;13)

I have had to hold myself back from adding my own thoughts on this text.

What do you guys think?

Remember imminent as in NOW!! Maybe is should of read eminent.......

Maybe returning to meeting?s is in order.

Ooooh......I don't know!!

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

Damn, 2034.....I will be 74 years old then. I hope I make it on that extreme makeover show before then. I think armageddon is gonna come in 2034 and everyone is going to be suprised when it is only strippers and their patrons are the only ones saved. I better make sure I make it to all the "meetings" of stripper appreciators society. I believe their food in due season is hot wings and beer. No donation boxes just $10 at the door and a dollar in a g-string at a time.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

I feel that the older ones who have put thair trust in the end comming soon for so many years, will feel upset, many have not reached out for a retirement, I hve had one elder grab a bible on the construction site and slam it against his hand and say that thair will be no retirement for reg j. this is my retirement. that was 15 years ago. my father inlaw quit general moters because he did not need a retirement and would just survive on what he could earn till the big A came in 75, now he and my mother inlaw live on ss. not that much. he would walk around and say that he was never going to die. that he would never have to taste death. well now 34 years plus 66=100, wow if he has a special mightieness like bob hope, maybe

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

There?s nothing new in the Watchtower?s trickery of prophetic dates! If you reexamine the 1975 fiasco, they never directly stated the "end" would definitely come by that date. But similar to the new prophetic "time-buoy," they strongly implied it (i.e. the "end" would come by 1975)! To me, this new date is just a continuation of the "generation" change, made to deceive and continue the lie of a "paradise-in-your-lifetime and hope of never-dying" malarkey! Its purpose is to keep JW?s selling worthless magazines and books, which promote a "Good-News" other than the "Good-News" contained in the Bible (compare Gal. 1).

As "tonyend" has stated: "The persons at the top, whose only livelihood is the WTBTS, are merely concerned (at a subconscious level I think) with their jobs [spelling errors corrected]." IMHO, I believe this may be a primary factor in this "new light!"

• High Castle
    High Castle

Please indulge some observations from a some one who was raised in the pre- '75 version of the 'Truth' - and left.

As I see it, a longer duration of the period leading to a terminal date solves a set of Organizational dilemnas. It has been stated that the Organization functions best and grows when there is a stated - or firmly implied - date on the horizon. The problem is when the date passes by. The Organization goes into a slump. This has happened at least three times in the Organization's history. It is a cycle of short-term date setting and stimulation then inevitably date passing and slump. It is exactly analogous to the cycle that almost any stimulant user/abuser goes through. A longer term date setting ('sell by date') is a partial solution to the Organizations dilemna. It provides the stimulation the organization needs, while rationing it out over a longer time - up to thirty years. Think of it - 2034 A.D./C.E. - as the 'sustained release' version of The End Is Nigh.

A longer duration also solves the problem of the restricted income potential of the rank and file. An Organization built around the earnings of window washers etc. has limited potential. The Organization has already retreated from its stance on post-secondary education. Just think of the unfortunate child being born right now to Witness parents. There will be enough time for the child to come of age and take narrow technical courses - no context please! - at their local community college. By the time 2034 rolls around they should be at their peak earning power. By then the date horizon should have been pushed out yet again.

I can understand the reluctance of the Organization to abandon 1914 in its chronology. 1914 was a watershed year, one of those years that history seems to pivot around. The historian Eric Hobsbawm - someone not remotely sympathetic to the Witnesses -in his history of the twentieth century The Age of Extremes starts his narrative in 1914. He posits a Short Twentieth Century that began in 1914 and ended in 1989. Other historians have noted the break that occurs with that year. No supernatural explanation is necessary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit