11/1/03 Watchtower: an open plea for more donations

by paterfamilias 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Good one, nos!!

• apple829
    apple829
    Many set aside, or budget, an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled "Contributions for the Worldwide Work -- Matthew 24:14."

Kinda sounds like tithing to me.

Sherryl

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Nosferatu said:

Wouldn't the Society then be able to monitor every purchase a JW makes? "I was disfellowshipped for buying a Poison album"

You got to admit it is a beautiful idea for monitoring and control. I was wondering if someone would pick up on that if I left it out, because it is my pet complaint about the loss of privacy that comes with using credit cards.

They might also go for the bank-free version of plastic, the stored value credit cards. These not only have the same potential of making an itemized listing of every purchase you make, but they can charge you tons of user fees (a fee everytime you load the card or use an ATM for example) but they would have your money in their bank accounts, making daily interest off it. With the promise of potentially millions of Witness users, the credit card companies would be willing to kiss WTS ass and setup the entire infrastructure for the WTS with no charge.

I seriously think they might already be looking at it and will be able to Biblically justify it as a "blessing" of being in the Organization. What's next, their own Sam's Club?

Skipper

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    The Charitable Planning Office? I didn't know such an office existed within the society. And it not only exists, there's also a new brochure that can you request explaining the many ways you can part with your valuable assets. Like bank accounts, IRAs, stocks, real estate, even jewelry!

alt

• mustang
    mustang

"...and the third was a genuine credit card machine that accepted VISA, MasterCharge, and American Express for direct contributions to the WTS. Has anyone else seen this?"

"I can just see some Wal-Mart clerk asking the customer, would you like to charge this purchase on your Watchtower Card? "

"Wouldn't the Society then be able to monitor every purchase a JW makes? "I was disfellowshipped for buying a Poison album" "

"You got to admit it is a beautiful idea for monitoring and control. "

"With the promise of potentially millions of Witness users, the credit card companies would be willing to kiss WTS ass and setup the entire infrastructure for the WTS with no charge. "

What an exchange!!! Some serious ideas there!!!

Now, once this gets rolling, the OTHER FUNDIE GROUPS in the Bible Belt will have a field day with this one: 666 COMES TO YOUR DOOR!!!!!!!!!

Mustang

• metatron
    metatron

"Brother, we couldn't help but notice that you used your Visa card number for

a subscription to Barely Legal magazine and drinks at The Body Shop. Do you think

this is an appropriate use of Theocratic credit?"

metatron

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias
    Welcome to the board paterfamilias. Cute name. You must be a fan of Oh Brother where Art thou! also! How many are you paterfamilias of? When you are comfortable, please share your story.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am a fan of all things Coen. As for the name itself, well... I don't actually have any kids. It's just part of my online disguise.

My wife and I have been fading for about a year now. I started a topic about that here.

Cheers,
    -Pater

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

When I served in Bethel in the late 1980's I worked in the construction plumbing department and we had millions of dollars in equipment and supplies. And all the other departments (trucking,shipping,computer,etc) had millions of dollars in equipment as well. I started to wonder what am I doing here? Is this full time service to Jehovah or am I a receiving and shipping clerk in a million dollar industrial machine?

• heathen
    heathen

jeezus h cahhhhhhhhhhhhhriiiiisssssssttttttttt !!!!!!!!!! I also remember their attitude toward donations and how they think they are sepperate from other religions because they don't ask for money . What a bunch of lying hypocrites . They don't like to pass a collection plate but don't have a problem with taking all your worldly possessions .

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    I also remember their attitude toward donations and how they think they are sepperate from other religions because they don't ask for money . What a bunch of lying hypocrites . They don't like to pass a collection plate but don't have a problem with taking all your worldly possessions .

Yeah, the people I study with used to brag all the time about how they don't pass around a collection plate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit