11/1/03 Watchtower: an open plea for more donations

by paterfamilias 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

All I wanna know is...

Are these 'study' articles??

Question 1 - "Where does a Christian with the proper Christian attitude towards the F&DS send all their worldly possesions?"

*mental of young dub with yellow highlighter in hand... underlining every word - preparing to raise hand at meetings*

Regards,

Jim TX

• mizpah
    mizpah

I remember seeing an occasional article (at least once a year) for a plea such as this more than 20 years ago. One might not have objected to this if the Watchtower Society was more forthright in making a financial declaration each year as to where this money goes. But it has chosen to keep all its financial records in the U.S. secret. Many other religious organizations have full disclosure.

Like Blondie and her husband, my wife and I have also decided to give to local charities where there is no overhead (large salaries and huge expenditures on campaigns). Recent scandals in some of the larger charity organizations have discouraged us. We prefer to give to those causes where we know the contributions are going to the needy...not the greedy.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah, I noticed this in that Watchtower. I stuck out like a turd on an ice cream cone. I especially love the picture of the guy with the styrofoam smile, putting money into the contribution box.

Jewelry or other valuables may be donated as well.

This always got to me when I was still "in". I was always thinking "Why the hell are they asking for jewelry". The only answer was to sell it for money. I always felt something wrong with that.

death to the Watch Tower Society

I agree.

100 Watchtower Drive

This is an address? The WTS has its own street? Doesn't that tie into the government?

I can donate my blood and sperm to the borg. Can I get a tax break for that?

Good idea ntm! Write a little note saying "Here is my rich donation", spurf in an envelope, and mail it. They can have fun trying to peel the note from the inside of the envelope.

• Odrade
    Odrade

It should be noted that Pater only posted the box on the bottom half of two pages. This box explaining the contribution types was preceded and followed by an additional 4 PAGES of money grabbing. They reference (as usual) the bringing of possessions to the feet of the apostles, inferring that they are like the apostles I suppose. They speak of all the things that cost money.

Here are a few more choice quotes from the closing paragraphs:

Contributions, then, are an evidence of our love for Jehovah and of our desire to advance true worship.

and:

Jehovah encourages such giving because it shows that we have the right spirit and a good heart toward him. Those who are generous and rely on Jehovah will be blessed by him and will prosper spiritually.

and finally:

Using our assets--time, strength, finances--to help others and to promote pure worship is very pleasing to Jehovah God.

Ozzie is right, there is a request for donations every fall. Usually an article in the KM and/or a short article about generosity in the WT. But this is the most blatant money-grab I have seen in all the years I have been reading the magazines. News from a couple of disgruntleds still inside the Org have also mentioned to me they are getting sick of all the letters to the congregation asking for money and recommending generosity.

The WTS has always said they would not beg the "brethren" for money--since the beginning with Russell. I wonder what changed? I wonder if the WTS is now begging and hoarding in anticipation of a wave of bad PR and expenses from the pedophile lawsuits. Maybe they are collecting $$ because they know they are hemorraging members, and the funds coming in are starting to show that.

Whatever the reason, 5 pages of solicitation is noteworthy.

Odrade

P.S. to Nos... the facilities at Patterson have private roads that have those lovely little Kingdumb names. If you build a road on your private property, you get to name it.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Using our assets--time, strength, finances--to help others and to promote pure worship is very pleasing to Jehovah God.

You can hear the drule hitting the floor from the GB's mouths. This has got to be the worst sentence I've ever read regarding this. It reminds me of a co-worker telling me about his child's imaginary friend. Apparently the imaginary friend likes chocolate ice cream.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    I can donate my blood and sperm to the borg. Can I get a tax break for that?

Good idea ntm! Write a little note saying "Here is my rich donation", spurf in an envelope, and mail it. They can have fun trying to peel the note from the inside of the envelope.

ROFLMAO!!!!

• jwsons
    jwsons

Have everyone realized that they always ask for more donation alsmost every month recently? In KM November 2003 in "Announcements" again !!!! Money Money Morrrrrrrrre Money and MORT (in French)

jwsons

• mustang
    mustang

"Jewelry or other valuables may be donated as well. "

"This always got to me when I was still "in". I was always thinking "Why the hell are they asking for jewelry". The only answer was to sell it for money. I always felt something wrong with that."

Agreed; but read in between those lines & add this: New York, New York. There are plenty of pawn shops, a "jewelry district" and loads of antique dealers in downtown NYC.

Babylon the Great trades on the many waters...

OK: the "November pattern" has been noted. If things get worse for the WTBTS, they will be forced to make these overtures MORE OFTEN, say, in six months. Will there be another FIVE PAGES IN MAY's Watchtower ? Or will it be earlier?

Mustang

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I thought all the comments and information above were pretty interesting. I would like to contribute something that may or may not be a common practice in Kingdom Halls. A few years ago, I was doing a research project on JW statistics and went "undercover" as a "researcher" to a nearby Kingdom Hall near my home at that time (in New Mexico.) The first thing that caught my attention when I walked in the door was three contribution boxes built on the wall. One was for local contributions, the second was for cash or check contributions to the WTS, and the third was a genuine credit card machine that accepted VISA, MasterCharge, and American Express for direct contributions to the WTS. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that within 10 years, the WTS will get into bed with one of the major credit card companies and produce their own customized credit cards with either a VISA or MasterCharge affiliation. They could make millions of dollars each year from the card use by the dubs using this method. It is already being employed by other business and private organizations and groups as a big money maker.

I can just see some Wal-Mart clerk asking the customer, would you like to charge this purchase on your Watchtower Card?

Skipper

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that within 10 years, the WTS will get into bed with one of the major credit card companies and produce their own customized credit cards with either a VISA or MasterCharge affiliation.

Wouldn't the Society then be able to monitor every purchase a JW makes? "I was disfellowshipped for buying a Poison album"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit