11/1/03 Watchtower: an open plea for more donations

by paterfamilias 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

I just read in the 11/1/03 WT an article entitled Cultivate a Giving Spirit. Never have I seen the society so unashamedly extend its hands in search of more money. I'm going to let the article speak for itself. The following excerpt appears on pages 28 and 29:

Ways in Which Some Choose to Give

CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK

Many set aside, or budget, an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled "Contributions for the Worldwide Work -- Matthew 24:14."
    Each month, congregations forward these amounts to the office of Jehovah's Witnesses that serves their respective countries. Voluntary donations of money may also be sent directly to Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, c/o Office of the Secretary and Treasurer, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11202-2483, or to the branch office that serves your country. Checks should be made payable to "Watch Tower." Jewelry or other valuables may be donated as well. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

CONDITIONAL-DONATION ARRANGEMENT

Money may be donated under a special arrangement in which, should the donor request it, the donation may be returned to him. For more information, please contact the Office of the Secretary and Treasurer at the address noted above.

CHARITABLE PLANNING

In addition to outright gifts of money and conditional donations of money, there are other methods of giving to benefit Kingdom service worldwide. These include:
    Insurance: The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or a retirement/pension plan.
    Bank Accounts: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements.
    Stocks and Bonds: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society as an outright gift.
    Real Estate: Salable real estate may be dontated either by making an outright gift or, in the case of residential property, by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. Contact the branch office in your country before deeding any real estate.
    Gift Annuity: A gift annuity is an arrangement whereby one transfers money or securities to the Watch Tower Society. In exchange, the donor, or someone designated by the donor, receives a specified annuity payment every year for life. The donor receives an income-tax deduction the year the gift annuity is established.

Wills and Trusts:

Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Society by means of a legally executed will, or the Watch Society may be named as beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages.

As the term "charitable planning" implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the worldwide work of Jehovah's Witnesses through some form of charitable planning, a brochure has been prepared in English and Spanish entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide. The brochure was written in response to the many inquiries received regarding gifts, wills, and trusts. It also contains additional useful information on estate, financial, and tax planning. It informs individuals of a variety of ways that gifts may be made either now or through a bequest at death. After reading the brochure and conferring with their own legal or tax advisors and the Charitable Planning Office, many have been able to assists Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide and, at the same time, maximize their tax benefits of doing so. This brochure may be obtained by requesting a copy directly from the Charitable Planning Office.

For more information, you may contact the Charitable Planning Office, either in writing or by telephone, at the address listed below or at the office of Jehovah's Witnesses that serves your country.

Charitable Planning Office
    Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania
    100 Watchtower Drive
    Patterson, New York 12563-9204
    Telephone: (845) 306-0707

The Charitable Planning Office? I didn't know such an office existed within the society. And it not only exists, there's also a new brochure that can you request explaining the many ways you can part with your valuable assets. Like bank accounts, IRAs, stocks, real estate, even jewelry!

I was raised in the troof, and I've never seen anything like this. A five page article devoted to financial details that I had always construed as being no more than mildly hinted at.

I just don't see how anyone in the organization can read this and not blush from embarassment. A lot of red flags ought to be going up in people's minds. When a religious organization has the gall to suggest that you forfeit your retirement funds or even your home, not leaving anything (or very little) for posterity, how can you not question that?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thanks for posting this. The society is no different than any of the so-called "false" religions it loves to condemn. This makes me sick. I read it with my jaw hanging open.

Send them your jewelry???????????????? Do they have a vault or dozens of safe deposit boxes just for this?

Unbelievable......

• sens
    sens
    Send them your jewelry????????????????

yer....I know a lady (she is 86) , a couple of jw's talked into giving her mothers antique jewelry to the org...and she was only a bible study....they dumped her as soon as she said ''no more study's''

• shamus
    shamus

Unbeleviable!

When I studied they always brought up that in the first WAtchtower, they were so proud that they would never ask for money. As usual, they do it in a different way, hoping to dupe the believers.

They haven't duped me.

Hypocrites!!!!

• sens
    sens
    Hypocrites!!!!

Yep.....TOTALLY!!!

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I guess a lot of this is due to the fact they want a new printing press with a $5 mil price tag. Expensive toys = need more funds.

But yeah, this is surprising. What'll be even more surprising, is a lot of dubs won't give this article a second thought. After all, you can't go against the lying hypocrites "faithful and discreet slave class" now, can you?

• shamus
    shamus

As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who fell for that baloney. I didn't give them once cent.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who fell for that baloney. I didn't give them once cent.

Even the most die hard dubs?

• shamus
    shamus

Nah, but the "normal" ones... if there ever was such a thing...

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

HUH! They're their one and only favorite charity.....why am I not surprised?

Oh well.....charity begins at "Ho"........

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit