Do You Support Trump Being Impeached Again?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Trump has tons of secrets I’m sure. What will he do? Maybe use it as some leverage??

• TD
    TD
    Anony Mous

The Constitution Annotated is the resource provided by the U.S. Government via the Library of Congress for understanding our Constitution. I would agree that it's not the final authority, but it is more than simply "one" opinion published by "a" government.

The characterization of high crimes and misdemeanors with regard to impeachment as fundamentally criminal acts is a misconception commonly repeated in Trump's defense.

This has never been true for judges under Article III, Section 1 of our Constitution which provides that judges of the supreme and inferior courts "shall hold their offices during good behavior."

It's also not true of the office of President as Deschler's Precedents of the U.S. House of Representatives notes with regard to Nixon: "...the grounds for Presidential impeachment need not be indictable or criminal." (I can provide the full quote if context is needed.)

Article I, Section 2 of our Constitution grants the House sole power in impeachment and Section 3 grants the Senate sole power to try impeachments. There is no Constitutional provision for judicial review and therefore unlikely that the Supreme Court would get involved.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Do you think the Senate is stupid enough to actually hold a trial? After the defendant has left? Do they really want to bring Trump back for an encore?

• minimus
    minimus

He will have a right to defend himself with lawyers at a Senate trial. It would be very counterproductive for Biden.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Yes, he would have lawyers. And discovery. And witnesses. And evidence. Hell, he could call every County Clerk in the country to testify. And every State's Secretary of State. It could drag on for years if Trump has the cash. Or would the taxpayers have to fund the whole thing? I like to think that Trump is spending his remaining time declassifying tons of documents, signing pardons (I'm thinking Assange would be a great one. And one for Hunter Biden just for fun), and composing a nice note for incoming President Biden. I wonder if the Bidens will bring a nice gift for the Trumps like the Trumps did for the Obamas?

• TD
    TD

Well again, a Senate impeachment "trial" is not a criminal proceeding. It is a legislative exercise where what is and what is not heard is almost entirely up to the Senate itself.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I hope he has Giuliani defend him. That would be amazeballs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit