Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Baker Who Refused to Bake Cake for Gay Couple

by Simon 286 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Well most modernized countries when you want operate a public business you have to apply for a business license by the local laws and regulatory authorities.

If a business owner is going to accept and welcome all people, must he then accept and welcome and willingly promote all events that those people partake in?

The answer is NO

For the millionth time:

Gay marriage is an event/activity, a thing you do. Not a person...

1. Phillips never turned any customer away due to their sexual orientation.
    2. The two gay men, David Mullins and Charlie Craig, were welcome to purchase any item in the store.
    3. They could have bought all the brownies and cookies and pies that their hearts and stomachs desired. They could have even bought a wedding cake.
    4. Their romantic interests were of no concern to Jack Phillips.
    5. He was not discriminating on that basis or any basis.

Jack Phillips did not refuse service to gay people. He refused service to a gay wedding. He declined to make a special cake — a work of art — for a particular occasion that he determined to be morally objectionable.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

fag-cake

really sounds like someone else is prejudice

from being a JWS possibly ?

god hates fags doesn't he

that's what the good book says

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Another hypothetical situation ...

Lets say a JWS opened their own cake shop but they refused to make cakes for Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's day, Father's day, same sex marriages, secular holidays or any religious affiliated celebrations.

Legal or not even though they held a public business license to operate in their community ?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Fink I was using that expression ironically.

If this gay couple, Mullins and Craig, are setting themselves up as some kinda martyrs in this day and age in 21st century Western society, then I'm gonna shoehorn in the word 'fag'.

And no, I don't hate fags. I'd try and shoehorn in 'fag' even if I was gay.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH/EXPRESSION.

Milo Yiannopolous was 'The Dangerous Faggot', and, despite one or two misgivings, I actually quite like him.

In fact, I think he's fabulous, darling ...

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Lets say a JWS opened their own cake shop but they refused to make cakes for Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's day, Father's day, same sex marriages, secular holidays or any religious affiliated celebrations.
    Legal or not even though they held a public business license to operate in their community ?

Its legal, it's a business decision. Who can demand what kind of cake they make??? How does that make any sense? What if they just don't make cakes at all?? Should someone come in and say if you don't start baking cakes i'm turning you in?

Here is a better one, you are a JW, and a DJ, a gay couple calls you and asks if you can do their wedding, you politely decline (and we all know why). Should you be penalized for choosing to not work a wedding? That's everyone's choice.

But back to your JW cake shop, they would likely go out of business in a month not making all those cakes. And do you really want the state coming in and saying "you must make a birthday cake!"

no way, I'm not with that nonsense, you have to draw the line somewhere and let people have their choice to do business or not, no matter how dumb it is.

• Simon
    Simon

They would be within their right to do that (and probably go bankrupt, because they're ignoring the biggest market for cakes).

You seem to be of the mistaken opinion that having a business license somehow obligates you to perform every service demanded. That's not what a business license is. It's your business, you can chose what services you provide.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Fink, putting a sign on your door that says "no gays allowed" and choosing to not work an event are NOT and never will be the same thing. No matter how many mental gymnastics you do and how much word salad you dish out.

• Simon
    Simon
    Here is a better one, you are a JW, and a DJ, a gay couple calls you and asks if you can do their wedding, you politely decline (and we all know why). Should you be penalized for choosing to not work a wedding? That's everyone's choice.

There is actually a case of a photographer being sued by a gay couple because she didn't want to shoot their wedding. Again, contrived? I think so.

What if someone is a graphic designer and a vegan and a slaughterhouse comes knocking asking them to design some promotional material for them. Should they be able to chose not to?

What about if the government wants some pro-war propaganda printing?

Or how about you're a musician and we want you to perform at a rally for the war ... sing for us boy!

Hey, you can't refuse a customer if the customer wants something ... right?

There are many reasons why having the government be able to force you to perform work you don't want to do is bad, bad, bad, and if people could get past their blinkered obsession with the misleading cause of cakes for gay weddings (deliberately chosen as the issue by activists for this reason) then they would see the bigger picture of why it would be wrong.

When the product you sell is "you" - your skill and expertise, you have the right to chose who you supply that to. If you make a product, then anyone can buy it. But custom services - you're the boss and have the right to tell anyone to keep on walking.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Its insane what people think it a “right”, in this case believing its a “right” to make someone else serve you in the way you require.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    What if someone is a graphic designer and a vegan and a slaughterhouse comes knocking asking them to design some promotional material for them. Should they be able to chose not to?
    What about if the government wants some pro-war propaganda printing?
    Or how about you're a musician and we want you to perform at a rally for the war ...
    Hey, you can't refuse a customer if the customer wants something ... right?

Yep, this is why even though I am totally pro-gay-marriage and all that comes with it, I will defend the rights that got us to this point, when we see something we don't like we can't just sell our soul to the government for a quick feel-good solution. It just because a tool that can be used the other way.

We have gotten off track and think that running around and shaming and censoring the bad guys is virtue, its not, its god damn lazy and narcissistic. Fight for whats right. Do something! Be the Neil DeGrasse Tyson, not the Michael Eric Dyson, fight for maximum freedom and choice rather than authoritarian control and central planning

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit