Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Baker Who Refused to Bake Cake for Gay Couple

by Simon 286 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Why is there labor laws in most modernized countries that penalizes businesses for acting in prejudice against someone of certain religious affiliation or sexual identity (gay) ???

Think of it the other way around, why would you choose to work for someone (as an employee) whose values (whatever those might be) were something you very strongly disagreed with.

The baker, essentially chose not to work for them, the couple. You are framing it backward. labor discrimination and choosing not to work FOR someone are two different things. No one is going to go after an employee who is some fundamental religion and chose not to work for a cause they feel is immoral.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This should be about equal protection - refusing to bake a customised wedding cake isn't actually attacking any one person, so no 'protection' is needed. Lots of people need to grow up, most of all the gay couple whose hurty-hurty feelings were hurt.

What if you're a black couple in an extremely racist town? - are you seriously implying that there are really racist US towns, such that a black couple cannot get a wedding cake? Name the town(s).

And I have seen those in the south. Where even the coffee shop in the middle of town is called the Koffee Kup Kafe (KKK) and clan rallies are held in the park in the middle of town - really? Would this town bake a wedding cake for a black couple? Again, name the town(s).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No it would not because in doing so would be inciting prejudice and hatred toward a recognized minority group

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    No it would not because in doing so would be inciting prejudice and hatred toward a recognized minority group

So you agree that no one is entitled to your labor, regardless of their protected status.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The baker, essentially chose not to work for them, the couple.

Which goes back to my previously posed situation (analogy) of a restaurant owner refusing to serve people who he accepted or knew to be gay, its a business transaction ether way

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Gay marriage is an event/activity, a thing you do. The point is that a business owner is free to think it good or bad and decide, based on that equation, whether he wants to be associated with it. If he decides against, he is not denying or rejecting a person.

Can it be put any more simple than that?

• cofty
    cofty

How many times!

It's nothing like that Fink.

It's exactly like a restaurant owner who will happily serve gay customers but who decides not to hire out his restaurant for a gay wedding reception.

IMO he is wrong but I defend his right to make that decision.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And by the way SIMON. I will carry the label you so hate "Liberal" as a badge of honor! - you're a true liberal, are you ttdtt?

Then you have no problem with a christian baker refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple ...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So you agree that no one is entitled to your labor, regardless of their protected status

Lets reverse it a little, what if a gay couple owned a restaurant and they saw a two priests sit down at a table and asked to be served and the owners knowing these people are against gay relationships refused serving the priests and asked them to leave.

An act of discrimination or prejudice while operating a public licensed business ???

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    you're a true liberal, are you ttdtt?

I would say no, he is a rabid leftist trying to badge himself as a classical liberal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit