Remember the Revelation book?

by wozza 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

stan ,the thick red one was "Babylon The Great has Fallen" ,the Revelation book was the large book similar in size to the "Paradise Lost " book .

Wasanelder Once

The explanation of the 7 trumpets being conventions in the 1920's was one of the nails in the coffin for me with that explanation .I just could not accept that one bit, and I thought it was very presumptuous of them to claim that.

And it still took me years to ditch the religion altogether. And eventually ditch all religion and the Bible.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I well remember plowing through the "Babylon" book on Tuesday nights back in the day. We met in this little basement flat , the group at that time had some odball characters and tbe rest of us had no great perception of things. The conductor had a hard job with it..

Later on ( 1969/70) we had that other delight "Then Is Finished The Mystery of God" discussing the rest of Revelation. ...

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Most witnesses do not stay in because of the belief in the end as much as for the social networking. I know many elders who are only in because they like being a big fish in a little pond. Getting up and giving talks and having the old blue hairs tell them they give such good talks bla bla bla.

• tiki
    tiki

The Babylon book....I actually liked that one....it had some history that made it more than the usual pablum....then is finished the mystery of God one not so hot but okay...anyone remember that lime green Daniel book? But...that revelation book and its applications were pretty hard to digest. The conventions mentioned earlier....the one that got me was those dead bones fleshing up and coming to live...the imprisoned holy ones in WWI....get released and go apreachin......and yes.....repeat book study of it as nauseum...

I remember that creation book too.... Systematically skipping that book study because I couldn't stand that book.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Interpretation of Revelation has always been a thorn in the side of the WT. The trouble started with 'The Finished Mystery' (the supposed Volume 7 of Studies in the Scriptures) in 1917 that was attributed to Pastor Russell, but was really written by Clayton Woodworth and George Fisher. The book in '69 'Then is Finished the Mystery of God' was definitely a throwback to the 1917 book.

The 1980's Revelation book was one of the most preposterous books they have ever published. I still believe that the only reason they studied it in the bookstudy multiple times was to use of the inventory that they had published in advance, and found they could not place them door to door.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The horn-blowing part in Cedar Point Ohio was always my favorite part. I want to put Cedar Point on my bucket list before I die. Maybe they have gift shops or something nearby where you can buy souvenir horns and blow them (Note: If you arrive by car and have young children, take the horns away from them during the drive home.)

The rest of the horns blowing got me confused though. If you look at the dates when they blew each other, the fourth one came before the third one or the third before the second or something like that (don't make me look up the details but they were not in chronological order).

So it wasn't like they were in a line where you had first, second, third, etc.

It was more like they were standing side by side and they were being called randomly, sort of like they call people on The Price is Right. It doesn't matter what number you are wearing. They call your number and you blow your horn. I bet after all the blowing going on, they were truly happified.

Rub a Dub

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I liked the babylon book. At least freddy kept his story straight. BUT it all came true and nothing happened.

That next one was impossible to follow.

Did anyone mention the dust and mud at Cedar Point?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Oh yeah! I remember (not literally) those Cedar Point Conventions!

Those were earth shaking events. How could anyone not see that they were Revelation's Trumpet Blasts and the Bowls of Wrath from Heaven??????????

OH WAIT -- NO ONE who is alive today remembers any of that crap!

What JW's did in the early 20th Century (or for all time, for that matter) doesn't make a shit-bit of difference any more than does a drop of water in the ocean.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

We had a book study conductor who didn't really prepare for the study so I would correct him during the group with the updates after a few weeks I got a shepherding call and given a finger wagging for making him look bad in front of his group.he later went on to be the po.

I remember as a child the babylon the great book,

There was also a book that delt with Ezekiel .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I was beginning to wake up, as we "studied" the Rev Book, I had some fun in the Group Study with introducing the information that the JW Org had joined the U.N. I couched my answer in such a way that the Elder taking the study, quite an intelligent guy, but a " Society man" 100% , could not actually take issue with what I said, but looked extremely uncomfortable, and somewhat nonplussed.

I really enjoyed doing that. Of course, it made no impression on most there, they just didn't see the significance of what I was saying, but I am sure the Elder did, I hope it added to his Cognitive Dissonance !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit