Remember the Revelation book?

by wozza 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think this particular Revelation book woke a lot of people up. I know that when it very first came out I loudly proclaimed by utter disbelief in the "fulfillments" that were centred on Rutherford and gang.

I am surprised now, though times were different, that I was not censured by the Elders, I actually laughed at those bits, all the Elders did was smile as though they too couldn't quite swallow it.

I guess that was the start of my slow waking process, what a shame it wasn't immediate for me ! I remained in until we were going through that bloody rubbish for the Third ! time.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Yes I remember, still have old and new versions covered in dust in my museum (or should I say graveyard?). It was by far my favorite book and I was well prepared during book study evenings.

All the prophecies, history, angels, demons, plagues, heavenly battles and visions of paradise were food for my imagination and hunger for that special feeling of having THAT spiritual insight, carefully hidden for satan's worldly system and the gentiles. God, was I brainwashed!! Yet, I admit it was exciting to be in the cult at that time.

I sincerely thought the Revelation book was the Wt's opus magnus, the one and only red pill for any christian. Couldn't see through the fake Rutherford era fulfillments yet, ignored it and thought the bigger picure still made perfect sense. Later the whole 1914 debacle became more clear to me, THIS wasn't marginal and couldn't be ignored! The whole thing turned out to be a lie and a placebo, New Jerusalem came crushing down hard but it still took me a few years to take a second red pill, say bye bye to the bOrg and return to reality.

Needless to say The Matrix trilogy is my favorite movie...ever!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I particularly found that the further away from the end of the Cold War we got, the harder the stuff in that book was to swallow.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I remember having to study it at least 3 times...the final times with print-outs of “adjustments” in understandings. 🤢🤢🤢

We hosted the Book Study at our home and I absolutely do not miss having an actual full-time ( extremely physical) job, only to rush home and get ready to have people in my home for 2+ Hours... Especially when the Eldub never had a job in his life, seriously.. his wife worked..

I think I would become ill if I had to read from that abomination aloud to a group... The only thing worse would be having to listen to Brother Marble-mouth McStutters read for an hour while trapped in the books study.. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

DD 😈

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Lol, RedPill... I wish I could find a fun cult to join...

DD

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    Lol, RedPill... I wish I could find a fun cult to join.

DATA- DOG, cults everywhere! Have you ever considered joining a political party?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I've used the Revelation book with JWs to illustrate the difference between sound interpretive practice and interpretive abuse; exegesis vs eisegesis. There are no comebacks.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Interesting V7, no succes stories?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Depends how you define success.

Last time an elder and a rank & file sister sat down with me, I explained what I could and couldn't accept as biblical. My 4 criteria

1. must have at least one scripture to support a teaching.

2. no subtractions, additions, changes in word meanings from that scripture or scriptures

3. no linking scriptures without clear grounds

4. must consider context, textual, situational and historical.

I then asked if they thought that using these criteria might help to reduce doctrinal error.

A definite maybe

I then asked if they knew the difference between exegesis and eisegesis. I gave them an example of eisegesis...putting modern names and dates into a parable.

Once eisegesis was clear I asked them to read and explain several of the primary catasstrophic verses from Revelation 8 concerning the blowing of the first of the 7 trumpets (no clue forthcoming)

Then I read from the Revelation book about Rutherford blowing the first trumpet in a speech given in Ohio in 1922 which allegedly caused this large scale destruction.

Silence, silence, silence...

Then I asked if it was possible that every doctrine that was unique to Jehovah's Witnesses was established by identical interpretive abuse. Examples include resurrection of Peter and Paul in the spring of 1918, rejection of Christendom in the fall, selection of the FDS in April of 1919 etc.

They were quiet, the elder seemingly quite humbled left unwilling to debate or even explore further examples of eisegesis with me.

I knew of course that they would never return.

I only used this strategy twice...both time JWs were unwilling or unable to respond.

Quite sad really

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes it was full of the false doctrines the WTS concocted to help sell it to the public, just like most other pieces of literature put out by the WTS.

People who are JWS are just the WTS's own self designed public sales representatives.

Revelation; Its Grand Climax At Hand!: Watch Tower Bible: Amazon ...

The more "time" you spend out selling/distributing these pieces of literature made by the WTS the more they are showing loyalty and devotion to Jehovah and elevating their righteousness in his eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit