Remember the Revelation book?

by wozza 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Back in 1969 that first book got me through 10th grade world history with a A average. The world powers was a big thing in that book. Very accurate on the lineage of those powers. Still Totally ADD

• TD
    TD

Maybe if you overlook the fact that Babylon was a city-state and the difference between Babylonians and Persians is debatable..

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    EverApostate - "The Bible book of Revelation was written by a mentally disturbed person. Who else would write that beasts would come out of the sea, killer grasshoppers, blood filling the earth unto a horses height, Winged creatures in heaven, women being corrupted etc…"

Patmos was used as an insane asylum, after all. Vidiot

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

The revelation book proves beyond any doubt how insular and self obsessed the society was and still is.

The revelation book for me was a giant red flag that helped me wake up. On several occasions I remember conducting the study as a stand in and it was especially during preparation for the group study I remember thinking WTF. Sorry for the French, but I just couldn't believe how they were interpretating everything and it was always connected to either a leaflet, a book or convention.

I always remember thinking if anyone else thought what I was thinking. Like sheep of course everyone would parrot what was written in the paragraph when a question was asked. This book is one of the craziest interpretations of the book of revelation!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WOZZA:

Yes, how could we forget the Revelation book that we studied more than once?

This was back in the days when they had the Tuesday night book study in somebody’s home.. I remember some brother making a joke with comparisons to the Wizard of Oz, the Wicked Witch and Emerald City.

• wozza
    wozza

LongHairGal

Funny you mention the wizard of Oz ,as a kid I had a big hardback copy of that book and loved the illustrations, and on about the second or third run with the revelation book it had all come to be pretty familiar.

I can still remember making a private note that the two books were a bit similar in strong graphics and story line , and then I blocked that thought ,but it did trouble me.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Interesting, I never made the connection. There are some really intriguing theories about the Wizard of Oz book being allegorical. Not everyone agrees with it, but the theory is that it is a thinly veiled commentary on the US political scene in the 1890's. There are a lot of parallels, but one in particular is the abandonment of the gold standard being a big issue at the time, and Oz being the abbreviation of 'ounce'.
  • Cadellin
    Cadellin

I have vivid recollections of cutting out the little paper corrections and taping them over the assigned words/lines. I was obsessive that way. Still, the very act of doing that niggled at the back of my mind and contributed to my eventual awakening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit