Playing The Hand You Are Dealt

by jst2laws 72 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    What a shame to miss out of one more day blaming others for robbing us of life.

How about......not let it rob you of anything.....AND.....be able to still wonder what you might have done different?

I understand your statement, and agree we MUST move on for anything to change to how we desire it. Many had opportunities they forsook that could have left then sitting real pretty financially right now.......but they have to work or struggle when life would have been easier and they are broke down. These are the ones who have a hard time with this concept.

Me......I'm kinda glad I learned and went through what I did... ( I think?). I learned alot about life and I like to learn.

Gumby

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Willyloman,

is only now doing the fade

Good for you man. I wish you the best, hope you can reach a few of those you love.

Blueblades,

We are so happy that our guys are well balanced and have not been hurt or harmed emotionally beyond repair

Now you touched on a subject that makes me cringe when I face this issue of getting over the past. I am OK with what has been done to me, but I am still a bit uncomfortable with what I HAVE DONE TO OTHERS as a supporter of the WT. My two youngest have survived and become balanced Normal people. The oldest is still inside. I tell myself as you say "I did what I thought was right". But he is still suffering from it. Perhaps that is a topic for another day.

ballistic

Yes, I remember. The "big" Brian that is. LOL. Nice memories.

Steve

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

jst2laws

Are you taking over for onacruse?? Kinda of one those introspective posts he has a fondness for.

Having followed your exodus here, and as a youngin, I wish to comment on your post, if only due to the fact, I have been out longer, and at a younger time.

Your opening statement reminds me of conversations with my dad.

He left the org. some 12 + years ago, though now when we talk about it, he was "Studying in the Scriptures" quite some time before that.

He has lamented over the years over how much different things "could have been"

As I say to him, as I say to all who read this thread......

This is where we are now. Tomorrow......who knows. ????

Am I despondant over what happened, or depressed over what "may have been". NO

I choose to play with the cards that were dealt me.....and am thankful for what I have experienced, and what I am about to.

• gumby
    gumby

Oh yeah.........well I said it better!

Nice comment XJ

Gumby

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    but I am still a bit uncomfortable with what I HAVE DONE TO OTHERS

The sooner you get over that, the sooner you can " play with the hand you are dealt"

And if you believe in the "Dealer" I don't think he's going to penalize you for playing the "game of your life"

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

((((((Steve))))))

Bravo to you, my friend! How right you are. Yes, life deals us blows at times and we can rail against them or we can accept them and move on...as with so much, it becomes a choice. Not that it isn't necessary sometimes to allow ourselves to get angry over injustices/trauma, et cetera, but the choice is to stay stuck or move on. I am so glad that you and Joy have made the choice to move ahead with your lives and it shows in your posts, in your kindness, and in the love and warmth that you display.

I gotta tell you though, I'm feeling a major need to head out in the kayaks and pick your brains for an hour or two If I make it up for the fest...look out!

Love,

Dana

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

gumby,

Many had opportunities they forsook that could have left then sitting real pretty financially right now.......but they have to work or struggle when life would have been easier and they are broke down. These are the ones who have a hard time with this concept.

We have all missed opportunities due to our own choices but it seem more egregious when we miss opportunities submitting to someone else's choices. That is truly a MISSED opportunity. On the other hand it was not necessarily a missed life course with no negative side, just a missed opportunity. Note HillarySteps point:

Sure I could have been the world's best Jazz guitarist and been signing Pat Metheny's autograph book for him, I may also have committed suicide at the lack of sales of my records...lol

We may have passed up that opportunity without WT control. We may have jumped at it only to fail miserably. That's why whatever situation we find ourselves in who knows we would have been better off?

I am a reasonably successful builder but would this be so if it were not for my early involvement in the WT Quick Build program? Joy is a well paid Certified Nurse Midwife. But would this have happened if it were not for the JW suspicion toward conventional medicine and a JW movement in the 70's favoring home birth? I suspect there is an exceptional number of JW's involved in small business, even if most those are janitorial businesses. Can those of us here who run our own business say for sure that we were not favorably influenced in this direction by our WT experience?

We wasted an enormous amount of time knocking on doors. I wonder how much we could have accomplished directing that energy in a more productive way. There could be many time/productivity arguments presented that would suggest we would be better off financially if we had never had the WT experience, but the WT also encouraged us to be frugal as well as to 'work whole souled'. You see there can be gain along with the losses.

But none of this is terribly relevant because what makes us rich and happy people is WHO WE ARE, not what we have. That is still within our control. Isn't is all a matter of perspective?

Steve

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Good post. I qouted on an earlier post, In life, very few are dealt a winning hand but its how we play that hand that matters.

Will

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

xjw,

but I am still a bit uncomfortable with what I HAVE DONE TO OTHERS

The sooner you get over that, the sooner you can " play with the hand you are dealt"

Nope, I'm hanging onto that one. Not because it is healthy for my but it is healthy for others. It too is a good lesson unique to my WT experience: When any human or institution tells you to do something you feel may be harmful, Listen to your conscience. So I did not do that and should never forget it.

But then, you didn't say I should forget it. You said "get over that". As for damaging guilt I think I have gotten "over it". But I will never be 'comfortable with it'. Thanks for the thought xjw.

Dana

I loved hearing from you. Except for the comment:

If I make it up for the fest

What's this "if"

You, the kids, your sister and brother-in-law are all coming.

GOT IT?

Steve

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Good for you man. I wish you the best, hope you can reach a few of those you love.

Thank you for the nice thought. It's too soon to go public with details, but since you mention it: Things are going remarkably well in that area. Right now, a whole new world is opening up for our family. Virtually all of us had been having the same doubts and suffering silently. Now we're talking to each other. It's been pretty amazing so far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit