What resurrects, the person or a perfect copy?

by JH 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Maverick,

Why would God ever do that? He just wouldn't.

If one believes in God - then we believe that he knows things we don't. Think about it - suppose he resurrected, re-created, copied us 15,000 yrs from now.

Remember the jw's speculated that God also might use the resurrected to inhabit other planets - as surely not only the earth was the only planet in his plan? One pioneer wanted Mars to himself - with or without his present wife.

Well, he could copy each person to inhabit each of those planets as needed. No more fussing with new creations. Just copy. There could be a copy of you on each planet. I would assume that as each copied person acclimated to his new surroundings, then their new thoughts would become uniquely their own.....so that if y'all communicated 1,000 years later - it would be same copies.......with almost unique minds & thoughts. Almost.

You say "He just wouldn't." I say "He just might." And both of us couldn't prove right/wrong.

Timeline (Michael Creighton) brought some of this speculation into a level of wording I could grasp. Understand? No.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I don't like to speculate, but since we are living in a computertime, when we back_up our computer, put all our data in a new one, it wil still be the original files.
    So who cares ?

• JH
    JH

Then your original files weren't destroyed. But the entire human being is destroyed at death. Unless something survived death, we are then re created.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I did miss that point Alan, thank you. I don't disagree per say. I find your reasoning very refreshing, and you a very intellegent man. I've always enjoyed your perspective so please take no offense. But I ask you, if the orginal is no more then is the replacement a copy? As pointed out earlier, our atoms are replaced on a regular basis. I wonder if the shell is being given more weight than the essence of our being. After all, we live in our minds, all we view external is from within our own thoughts. The outside world is transmitted to our brains by our senses via nerve pathways. Now, would the replacement body, or copy, have our individual conscience?...I believe yes! Maverick

• Maverick
    Maverick

Waiting, I read that book and was a little disappointed in it. Again, why would God make copies of us to put on different planets. At the point of re-creation, that person would be different from all the other "copies". Why do it? Are we that special He would need to make a bunch of the same people to do what he wants?

I was in an accident and rebuilt. Some bone and skin graphs, some plastic, new voice. But I am still me. I am different than before physically, but inside I'm the same. Maverick

• marsal
    marsal

JH wrote:

"Unless something survived death we are then re-created."

I would add: ONLY according to JW beliefs.

• waiting
    waiting
    Waiting, I read that book and was a little disappointed in it. Again, why would God make copies of us to put on different planets.

Well, I didn't say the book was great!You ask "why would God make copies of us?" Why? Who knows? That's the point. IF we believe in God, an Almighty Being, then we're really in no position to question what he would do. IF we believe in the Bible, then it's written there for us. IF we don't believe in the Bible literally, we still don't know what God would do.....particularily if we're dead. We don't have a clue either way.

At the point of re-creation, that person would be different from all the other "copies". Why do it? Are we that special He would need to make a bunch of the same people to do what he wants?

If one were to buy into the jw idea - because if they're good people, they've a proven track record. If they don't do better in the resurrection/re-creation - God can zap them with no qualms. Actually, God could do whatever he wanted, eh? It's not that we're that special - it's like a person owning a Ford, figuring the thing out, etc.,.....then buying another Ford.

I was in an accident and rebuilt. Some bone and skin graphs, some plastic, new voice. But I am still me. I am different than before physically, but inside I'm the same. Maverick

That's exactly what Alan's writing about! YOU never stopped - YOU continued. Even though your body changed.....you never stopped living. We're at least body & mind....perhaps a spirit. If any ONE of them continue from the original....then the original continues. If ALL stop (as in Timeline)......then the person recreated is a copy - because the original stopped.

I really don't have a problem with this - just interesting to throw it around. And I'm not saying my way is correct.....it's usually flawed somewhere essentially.

((((((((((((((((glad you're the same ol' Maverick)))))))))))))))))))))

• heathen
    heathen

I really like the idea of us being uploaded to the great computer in the sky . It sounds like a reasonable comparison based on what I've seen in scripture. The files can then be accessed whenever the great computer operator decides to review the record either to be saved or deleted . very interesting lol

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I remember thinking about this question 20 years ago, after reading a Star Trek novel (BTW, my critical sense has matured, even if I haven't) in which Dr. McCoy was arguing with Spock about this question regarding the transporter.

Spock's reply was that "a difference which makes no difference is no difference".

Which would be true to everyone except the original...

• heathen
    heathen

Phantom Stranger --- Live long and prosper .lol hell I hope next time I have the physique of arnie swartzenneger when he won the olympia . I'llllll be baaaaaaaaack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit