What resurrects, the person or a perfect copy?

by JH 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

AlanF:

Physical continuity is the key.

Hmmm...I wonder about that. If corporeal existence is the true and total essence of being, then indeed indeed resurrection is a re-creation. But what if the "kernel" of our being is something like the idea of an immortal soul? In that case, "re-appearance" in the physical universe (at any time, and in any form) wouldn't constitute an interruption of our uniqueness.

Not exactly a JW idea, tho. LOL

Craig

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

AlanF,

Decady. I like it.

Decady sort of reminds me of the dodecahedron on the old Doctor Who TV show only minus the do which would be decahedron. But a decahedron is one object and a decady is ten separate objects that are all supposed to be the same object but like you said they are all just copies but they look the same. The decady could be as confusing as the trinity but somehow it's not.

Heather S.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    If God places people in the imperfect bodies with annointed ones then does that make them a Twinity? Sorry, couldn't resist the corn.

Oh, that's cute! A TWIN-ity!

I suppose. The main thing is at least the Bible knew to assure us that the multiple personality would just be two (unless the other person originally was a multiple personality anyway, but that's another story).

Subjectively though, I would think it would be no different than depicted in the moves, where somebody remembers another life.

Obviously there has to be some "artistic" or psychosympathetic matching which is done by God himself according to the Scriptures, he CHOOSES for each one a body. So I guess, per the numerous choices available, you get matched up with the most similar or compatible person. Or perhaps the most complementary one, persons with a similar countenance, etc.

JC

• Aztec
    Aztec

Yes! I am damn right about something.

Heather, Dr. Who? I knew I liked you!

~Aztec

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Nope. If you reproduce 10 copies of your brain (and we assume that God can reproduce even quantum states exactly -- after all, he's God), how would you choose which one was the "original"?

We completely replace our own selves every 8 years don't we? Don't our cells wear out and get replaced?

Plus that doesn't address people who will become spirits, angels in heaven? How are they the same? Are they the same person now that they are an angel?

So I think the Bible interprets resurrection rather broadly and not specific to our limited concepts of what that might be. The Bible knows what it MEANS even if we don't? exactly?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cool, Aztec,

Speaking of Dr. Who: he kept changing bodies but was the same Dr. or was he really the same when he was the same mind in a different body. But then the resurrected Jesus was in the same mind in different bodies, too. It's all confusing but then again not. But Tom Baker was my favorite Dr. Who. He'd risk his life to save that scarf. Heather S.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Heather, the scarf was awesome! I can't remember exactly why he kept changing bodies except they kept changing cast members...LOL! I think it was the same memories trapped inside differant bodies. It's been so long.... You may want to look into Frank Herbert's idea of gholas. Very cool concept.

~Aztec

• marsal
    marsal

Thank you AlanF and SanFranciscoJim for the info.

• Maverick
    Maverick

This is a great thread for a little intellectual stimulation. Alan F and SanfranciscoJim both have some interesting points. But the first one Alan brought out about copies, (plural) while a fun concept, has no real point to it. Why would God ever do that? He just wouldn't. One of each of us is all that would be needed. I think the flaw in all of this is time. How long a person is dead is not relevent. We are bound by the constraint of time. I don't think God is. We hardly understand the material universe, and have no clue of the spirit realm, could it be the essence of what makes us sentient beings is not material at all? When you rebuild a car and put a new motor in it, is it the same car? Or if you save the motor but build a new body? Which is it. Or does it even matter at all? See...this leads nowhere. Maverick

• AlanF
    AlanF

You're missing the point, Maverick. The principle of making copies -- not originals -- of people to "resurrect" them proves conclusively that the JW notion of resurrection is wrong. It's not a resurrection, it's a re-creation.

If you disagree, you'll have to present arguments showing how a copy can be regarded as the original.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit