What resurrects, the person or a perfect copy?

by JH 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Alan,

I have a question for you.

I would have argued that the resurrected person was the same person as the original because God declared it so.

I have always been under the impression you did not believe in the bible or it's god. Why would you answer a christian.......according to a christian/biblical view? That is..... unless you meant something apart from the bibles teaching of a resurrection.

Gumby

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The perfect copy -- we are Borg controlled from the center -- we have no original thought -- therefore perfect copies make sense

• JH
    JH
    Even if you could make an identical copy of say, a written letter, and you destroyed the original, the copy would still be a copy.

So if God says that we actually will resurrect, then something didn't die, just like the Devil said.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. But it is not the spiritual which is first but the physical, and then the spiritual."

But jws never seem to get what "spiritual" is.

• Maverick
    Maverick

This question came to mind years ago, but I offer a simple assurance that you would be you when resurrected. Jesus would never have allowed himself to be put to death if he knew he was not going to be the same person when brought back to life. We, as humans think in a continuous line. We see it as unbroken. Cause then effect. In quanta, often effect comes before cause. I know it does not make sense, but the math does not work any other way. Just because something is not intuitive does not make it wrong. We actually live in continuum, we create these divisions to make our world work. I see no problem with a break in existence, be it a day or a thousand centuries. You sleep, then you awake, you are still the same, yet the world is different. You tell yourself there was no break, yet the evidence shows there was! Maverick

• JH
    JH
    You sleep, then you awake, you are still the same

So then, something didn't die.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Alanf,

If God made ten copies of us would that make us a tenity?

Just wonderin'.

Heather S.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I was thinking about this belief recently. JWs teach that no part of what makes us who we are survives death. There is no soul that lives on. But in JW belief all the information that makes us who we are uniquely has to survive death for God to resurrect that one. Even with a replica body the genetic code would have to survive death, at least in memory form for God to recreate that body. However, the body does not make us unique. Identical twins share the same looking body, sharing everything including their DNA sequence. But identical twins are different people. The only thing that makes us who we are is our life experience and memory. Therefore, for God to resurrect someone, not only does he have to create a new body that looks like the original but he has to insert the person's original memories.

Where then are those memories after a person dies? They must be with God since he has to add a person's memory to his memory in order to restore it at a future date. That must mean then that the only thing that makes us truly unique survives death and lives on with God in heaven. That sounds rather like soul survival and being with God in heaven..yet that is official JW doctrine.

Thirdson

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I don't really remember what JWs teach about Jesus' resurrection. Do they teach that he was truly resurrected or that a copy of him was recreated?

If you believe the stories in the Bible regarding Jesus' resurrection, remember that he was unrecognizeable to his own disciples after his resurrection. Remember "Doubting Thomas", to whom he had to show the nail prints in his hands to prove he was really who he said he was?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Don't JWs teach that Jesus was unrecognizable because he sacrificed the body his disciples knew? That he appeared in different materialized bodies? This is why he was not recognized according to JWs. What do other churches teach about Jesus using different bodies to appear in?

Heather S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit