What resurrects, the person or a perfect copy?

by JH 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

In the recent movie 'Solaris', many of the issues discussed in this thread are portrayed. George Clooney visits a space station orbiting a distant planet. There is some property of this planet which causes dead loved ones in the memories of those in the space station to come back again.

So, one crew member sees his dead son again, another his dead brother. George Clooney's character is faced with his dead wife. The story deals with whether or not these beings are actually the original returned from some other place, or simply an imitation constructed from the memories. And once this is determined, how does this affect how the crew treats these beings.

As it turns out, the beings are pretty much based soley on the memories of the crew, so their own memories are not complete. For example, if Georges real wife had a secret which she never shared with George, the replica would not remember this secret, because George never knew of it, and thus had no memory of it. To the extent that George doesn't know something about the childhood of his wife, the replica will lack memories of her own childhood. There is no actual part of the replica which was also part of the original. They are two separate and distinct beings, existing at different times, one a near perfect duplicate of the other.

One might argue that God would have perfect knowledge of the original, so there would be no memory gaps in the replica. However, even if two twins spent every moment together from birth, and later one died, the surviving twin is still not identical to the one who died.

Anyway, the film is not your average science fiction film. Instead of lots of spacecraft zooming around and aliens, it is a slow-moving, atmospheric and moody piece with a thoughtful plot. Not for everyone, but it does seem germane to this discussion.

Gaiagirl

• Maverick
    Maverick

Gaiagirl that was an unusual movie, but you summed it up very well.

The point here was, if you are brought back to life by God are you the same you, or are you a copy. Alan F, a great and very smart fellow, used the reasoning that you would be a copy. And if multiple copies would be set side by side they all would think they were you. I used quantum theory to show that there is no need to have a continuation of timeline for a person to be the same person.

In quantum mechantics a particle is in one place and then it is in another place. There is no path between, no line that can be traced from point A to point B. It simply is at A, then at B. This illustration was used to show that God does work outside the "normal" intuitive realm we occupy. Alan F gets "stuck" on his multiple copy illustration. And I ask "Why would God do that?" He wouldn't...no reason to. It's a fun paradox but does not answer the question of "are you that resurrected person?" I pointed out that we "live" in our brains. All the information we get is transmitted to our brain via nerves. Alan F said I was getting into the metaphysical, not so..nero-science. We do live inside not outside. All your sense give you data and your brain processes it and there is where you truly exist. The body you occupy is not all that relevant. So, I feel you could and most likely would be you, if resurrected. Maverick

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Maverick,

: The point here was, if you are brought back to life by God are you the same you, or are you a copy. Alan F, a great and very smart fellow, used the reasoning that you would be a copy. And if multiple copies would be set side by side they all would think they were you.

I agree that they would.

: I used quantum theory to show that there is no need to have a continuation of timeline for a person to be the same person.

Not at all. I briefly commented that you had misused quantum theory, but you haven't addressed anything. I suspect that your understanding of quantum theory is what you've gotten from popular works, which is not necessarily representative of physicists' understanding. Se here we go.

: In quantum mechantics a particle is in one place and then it is in another place. There is no path between, no line that can be traced from point A to point B. It simply is at A, then at B.

That's incorrect. A particle doesn't simply disappear from one place and then appear in another. Indeed, according to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which is a foundation of quantum mechanics, you can never say, "A particle is in this place." There's always a certain amount of fuzz in measuring both the position and velocity of a particle. Quantum mechanics doesn't even say where a particular particle actually is. What quantum mechanics gives you is a means to find the probability that, when you measure a particle's position, you'll find it in a particular place. What the particle actually does between measurements is not described by quantum mechanics, which simply shows -- as any physicist will tell you -- that the theory is incomplete. Quantum mechanics is not a theory about what things actually are, but about how certain kinds of things behave in terms of practical measurements.

Furthermore, the Uncertainty Principle applies in practice only to extremely tiny particles or assemblages of particles. It applies to dimensions on the order of the size of atoms, and to time scales on the order of the time it takes light to travel across an atom. By the time you get to an assemblage the size of say, a protein molecule, the uncertainty of measurement is so small as to be practically nil. So applying the principle to large objects such as a human being simply shows ignorance of its applicability. While an electron has no problem "tunneling" through a potential barrier, and seems to just disappear from one place and 'magically' reappear in another, macroscopic objects never do that.

: This illustration was used to show that God does work outside the "normal" intuitive realm we occupy.

You used that illustration, but applied quantum mechanics totally wrongly, so you haven't shown anything.

: Alan F gets "stuck" on his multiple copy illustration. And I ask "Why would God do that?" He wouldn't...no reason to. It's a fun paradox but does not answer the question of "are you that resurrected person?"

It certainly does answer the question. If even in principle God could create multiple copies -- and we can hardly limit God in this way -- then it proves that resurrection cannot occur because copies are not originals. One copy is not an original, nor are two, nor three, and so on. God cannot force 2 = 3, nor can he force a copy to be an original. The only way to keep an original around is to keep it around -- which is the definition of continuity.

: I pointed out that we "live" in our brains. All the information we get is transmitted to our brain via nerves. Alan F said I was getting into the metaphysical, not so..nero-science.

I assume you mean "neuro-science".

: We do live inside not outside. All your sense give you data and your brain processes it and there is where you truly exist.

That's true, but it still doesn't answer any of the objections I've raised to your claims. Let's see if you can answer some questions via another illustration.

Suppose we live in an era when medical science can remove a person's brain from the body and plop it into a tank of nutrient material and hook up all kinds of sensors so that the person gets full sensory input. I'm sure we'll agree that the brain in the tank really is the original person, since the brain contains the personality, memories and so forth -- everything that makes the person who he or she is. Then we get God to create ten identical copies of the brain-tank-sensor arrangement -- identical down to the last atom. Then we take a bomb and blow up the original tank and make sure nothing identifiable is left. Are any of the copies the original? Of course not.

With this scenario in mind, suppose a person dies and then God creates ten copies a million years from now, perfectly identical to the original person. Are any of these copies the original person? Of course not.

But suppose God creates just one perfect copy a million years from now. Is this copy the original? Of course not.

: The body you occupy is not all that relevant. So, I feel you could and most likely would be you, if resurrected.

Feeling and showing are rather different things. You can't show that your feeling is right until you show why my above scenario is wrong. Can you do that? I don't think so.

AlanF

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

ALANF : The only way to keep an original around is to keep it around -- which is the definition of continuity.

nothing can be said against THAT ... otherwise IT IS A COPY !!!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

why wouldn't Jehovah and Jesus, just burn a copy of everyone on they're wonderfully, beautifully multi-dimensional computer, with the pentium MMMXXXXXXXXXXXVIIII chip, and preserve us perfectly.

Ah, how the JW beliefs change with time, to fit the times of today.

• heathen
    heathen

This is all very interesting but I don't think the bible is saying that all we are is a brain . It is apparent that people are judged by their spirituality that people who have evolved from an animal state to a spiritual state are resurected to life where as those that chose not to for whatever reason are resurected to judgement I don't think the brain is on trial here . The brain does serve as the most important part of our physical being but I think what sepperates us from the animals is a conciousness and the ability to determine a moral code between right and wrong which I don't think comes from a human trait but a spiritual one .

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

What's the old line - "If anyone says that they understand quantum physics, then they really don't understand quantum physics"?

A more precise rendering of the uncertainty principle is: "The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa." This is a direct quote from Heisenberg's 1927 paper.

The fundamental question that I haven't read an answer to here is this: If you have two identical items, by definition you can't tell them apart. If one of these items is somehow tagged "original" and one is tagged "copy", then they are not identical.

The problem lies in the wording, perhaps. If you can actually create an identical copy of something, that copy, by nature of its indenticalness, would be indistinguishable from the original. If they are truly identical, you have no way of saying that you have one original and one copy. Instead, you have two originals.

Which is all so much wanking, except that it illustrates what happens when you try to talk about everyday impossible events using language designed to talk about everyday possible events. This sort of thing is really the realm of higher mathematics, which is to say, it's not for this board:)

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Phantom : The problem lies in the wording, perhaps. If you can actually create an identical copy of something, that copy, by nature of its indenticalness, would be indistinguishable from the original. If they are truly identical, you have no way of saying that you have one original and one copy. Instead, you have two originals.
    Well in saying that, you just agree with what have been said about the copy !!! Those two originals are still copies of the original original if I can say it like that ... but maybe I should say that re-creat is not create (to be more understandable) If you ask something to come back, that means that it still somewhere somehow ... otherwise you need to re-creat ... and here we go again !!!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Alan F's points are all correct, and my trying to simplify quanta was probably not the best illustration to use. But I will say Phantom Stranger put it all together very well. The only way you could "tag" the orginial from the copy is that it was in existence first. And at this point to sum up this question as I see it, I believe if I am resurrected, I'll keep this to just me...OK Alan, ....I'll be the same person I am now! I like my verson better than Alan's because in mine I get to live again and not some copy that is not really me! So enjoy this life my friend because if your right, this is all you get! Maverick.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well maybe if I say that God says that he can destroy us forever means that otherwise their is a continuity somewhere somehow of each individual ... (if you believe in the story) and again the re-creation is only related to the body (which would be a copy anyway)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit