Tennis Controversy in Australia

by smiddy3 80 Replies latest social physical

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    Apr 20, 2020

Novak Djokovic sparks a backlash after publicly opposing the Covid-19 vaccine. He says: “Personally, I am opposed to vaccination, and I wouldn’t want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel.”

Asked by Sky News Australia anchor Danica De Giorgio why Djokovic was granted the visa in the first place, the Home Affairs Minister said: “they’re entirely separate processes”.

“To gain entry to Australia you need both – you actually need the visa, which is determined quite separately, and then you have to meet the entry requirements,” she said.

“I know that people are putting the two issues together, but the visa application process and the granting of a visa is very separate to the additional entry requirements that every traveller needs to meet to be able to enter Australia.”

Djokovic has launched legal action against the pending deportation with the Federal Circuit and Family Court set to sit again on Monday after receiving submissions from both parties.

IMHO I think he should have been sent back on the first plane outa here. Allowing him to stay or even give him an opportunity to stay, sends two messages one for the influential money makers and another for the average citizen.

Either abide by the rules and regulations or suffer the consequences .

Everybody else has to. Why give him "special privileges"

Any tennis fans following this story ?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Novak Djokovic is an intelligent fellow. He values his life and health more than Australia's idiotic COVID rules. Why are Australians complaining? Djokovic took a firm stand against the vaccines. He should be admired. By the way, he contracted COVID previously and is protected by natural immunity, which is hundred times more effective than that afforded by vaccines.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I agree with you Smiddy. You have every right to be an antivaxer. You don't have the right to avoid the consequences of that decision. The bloke is an arrogant ass.

He is an excellent tennis player but his grasp on reality is a little less secure.

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.

During an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."

If you want to learn tennis strokes he is a great example, probably the best, don't go to him for medical or immigration legal advice though.

• skin
    skin

He has had plenty of time to prepare himself to enter Australia, he would have known the required covid rules to enter this country. He has made that choice himself not enter by not getting vaccinated, so he can't blame anyone else for upholding the goverments rules to enter.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well, yeah, the story has kinda caught my attention, although I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Djokovic is right: nobody should be forced to have the vaccine.

But I also agree with you - foreigners wanna stay in another country? Then abide by that country's rules.

It'll be a shame if he is deported, a shame for tennis. Djokovic will probably end up with most grand slams out of him, Federer and Nadal.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Countries have rules. If you don't want to abide by those rules you can't enter. If the entire sport of tennis ceased to exist and so did he, who cares.

People are upset over the fact that this yokel can't play a funding game. Who fucking cares.

Fuck all these vaccines and fuck the cult of celebrity.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The issue isn't really whether he has or has not had the vaccine.

The issue is he filled out the forms incorrectly and refuses to say why he is exempt, this seemingly shows a level or arrogance in that it would be accepted by the authorities because is the defending champion.

The fact he announced on Twitter he was arriving before due process again seemingly shows a level of arrogance.

I think the Australian government are far more pissed at this seemingly level of arrogance rather than whether he is vaccinated or not.

If countries have strict rules during COVID and you want to go in there you simply must abide by them, he seemingly has not but the LTA say it's ok because he is a superstar of the sport.

Alanah Pearce detailed her troubles getting in and out of Australia during COVID as she is a games journalist and her story was pretty brutal.

So for me personally Novak is wrong here, abide by the rules if you want to play in the country, if you are exempt then fill out the paperwork required advising so.

It really is that simple.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Countries have rules. If you don't want to abide by those rules you can't enter.

Too damn bad the US has not figured that out.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\

DOC beat me to the punch.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Notsurewheretogo sums it up perfectly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit