Fables, Farces and Facts

by Farkel 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

Little Toe is trying to weasal away from the evidence that in the Bible itself (which itself internally claims to be inspired by God himself) by saying, "who's to say that it really means what it actually says? If it doesn't mean what it actually says and it doesn't disavow that it means what it actually says, then it should mean something different from what it actually says. If it doesn't meet that simple standard, then God is not behind it. God is not a God of confusion, right? Only humans are confused about something so simple a child could see the idiocy of that confusion God is not a part of.

Doh!

: But Avishai, God is all powerfull, He held the earth together while he stopped its rotation so that those guys had enough time to kill their enemies. And he'll do it again one day soon, you just wait and see.

Hide and watch. Heh, heh, heh. We'll all be dead and buried before that day happens!

Farkel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Farkel:

Little Toe is trying to weasal away from the evidence ...

Are you talking to me?
    Are you talking to ME?
    Are YOU talking to ME???
    (If not, then why are you directing your comments to the third person?)

Try picking on someone who gives a sh!te
    (Btw, it's weasel, not weasal)

You don't like the weak points in your argument having light shed on them, huh?
    I'll repeat the comment that appears to have got you so stirred up at me:
    For the record, I see no straw men.

Your rhetoric might stand against a JW, but I am one no longer, and haven't been for a while.
    My comments stand on their own merits (or lack thereof), from which your's neither add nor subtract. Rather they appear a little disingenuous.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    If it doesn't mean what it actually says and it doesn't disavow that it means what it actually says, then it should mean something different from what it actually says. If it doesn't meet that simple standard, then God is not behind it. God is not a God of confusion, right?

Right

"....because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says: `You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive."

• ros
    ros

Hello,

Generally, I think (perhaps wrongfully) that these debates are not "fruitful". :-) However, having ended a busy workweek with a WildTurkey and pineapple soda, I'm entertaining a little different mood. Hope I'm not stepping too far out of character. If so, please excuse.

Wasasister asked, and Farkel asked why no one answered:

Does not the legitimacy of Jesus Christ as the Son-of-God rely on the veracity of the Bible? If the Bible is not reliable, how can one put faith in the Messiah to whom it points? If the Bible is even occasionally in error, how do we believe what quotations are attributable to Jesus?

I can only answer for myself as a non-fundamentalist believer (and I think I'm in some pretty good company. :-).
    I think most of these questions and discussions are directed at the absolute bible unscientific literalness that is espoused by fundamentalism, whether mainstream, orthodox, or bornagainism. Based on my personal study, I have a different perspective of the bible and scripture. In my opinion, it is immaterial whether every word of the bible, as an historical record of the Jewish people, is wholly literal, inspired, true, or whether it was a compiled written record of a people, by a people, written from the perspective of the writer(s), or whether much of it is analogical, any of which happened to have the purpose of an underlying spiritual truth from The Creator.

What historical record does not have error? Does that mean history has no value? Did George Washington chop down a cherry tree and then lie about it? Who cares? Does that story diminish the historical record about George Washington? (I guess that might depend on whether you are French or American. :-)

So to answer Wasasister's question from my perspective, the legitimacy of Jesus Christ does not rely on the veracity of a whole, entire, flawless, scribe-Catholic-compiled biblical record. Not imo. If we refused to believe anything that is even occasionally in error (e.g., newspapers, magaines, history books, science books, evolution books, the bible, etc. etc.) then we would be without anything to believe except our own personal observation of nature? Quite limited.

Wasa also asked:

And finally, did Jesus' own mother, who was the closest and most personal observer of his miraculous birth, believe from the beginning in his ministry? If not, why not?

How could anyone know that? According to John 2, indications are that she held some kind of faith in his exceptional abilities. However, as a point of speculation on the record, it seems that most of the Jewish people did not comprehend what his (and John the Baptist's) ministry was about, including his apostles while he was alive. Many were looking for a nationalistic messianic deliverer to resore the literal throne of David. (As a point to ponder in the biblical 'story', it occurs to me that Mary must have been chosen to be Jesus mother for the very reason that she was the finance of Joseph, because it is he who would have been the one in royal lineage from King David from whom Jesus would have been the heir to the throne in that culture. Just a thought.)

Many biblical scholars conclude that when crowds waved, and "Jesus wept", when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a colt shortly before he was executed, that the crowd was believing he had come to deliver Israel, expecting a literal messiah, and he wept because they did not comprehend.

To put it in perspective, most mothers don't fully understand their sons and their lives; so why should Jesus' mother be so different (unless you accept the religious pious perspective of everything in the bible record of course)? When I was in Israel about three years ago, our Jewish guide used the account of John 2 as an example of a typical Jewish mother, even though she was expecting something extraordinary. Something like: "Jesus, I ask a little favor. Never mind my pain giving you birth, just a little favor for your mother, make us some wine. Is it so much to ask, for youra mother . . ." :-)

In my opinion, if you're analytical, you'll never find a viable faith in in the fundamentalist literalist biblical perspective. I think the message is beyond religion. Nevertheless, religion does not prove nor disprove Christianity, nor does science, any more than history books prove or disprove history. But that is not to say you should have no faith in history books. The information is fascinating if you really dig for it. But may be my interest--not necessarily yours. The question is, how far should we judge? Not.

Jmo,
    ~Ros

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

OK, I'm going to whale into this,

Ros mentioned a side point that is closer to the bottom of this issue in my mind.

whole, entire, flawless, scribe-Catholic-compiled biblical record.

The context of that statement was regarding the veracity of the overall message being dependant on this scribe/Catholic compiled record being 'whole, entire, flawless'. Any reasoning person would answer that question with a snicker.

WHO SAYS IT IS WHOLE, ENTIRE, FLAWLESS IN THE FIRST PLACE? GOD? NOT A CHANCE!

The Catholic Church which over a period of about 1400 years chose what would compose this book called the Bible and this may be why IT (the Catholic Church) never put much stock in the Bible. After all it was their product. Church tradition held the strongest authority because 'God directed his Church with Holy Spirit' so what the Church did was God's doing. The Bible was the doing of the Catholic church.

Along comes the reformation so Luther and Calvin have to find AUTHORITY for rebelling against THE CHURCH 'directed by God'. Attribute inerrancy and divine inspiration to THE BOOK and now you have what you need to condemn THE CHURCH.

This is when the record of the early Christian writers became the Inerrant Word of God. Never was it the early writers intent that their writings be taken to such a level. Nor was it God's intention.

What is important is not who wrote what, who authorized the writing or was it inerrant and unquestionably the word of God. What is important is WHAT HAPPENED BACK THEN, and what generally does it mean.

The wonderful message of these ancient writings is lost when we attribute more to them than was intended resulting in the entire message being discredited.

Steve

• pamkw
    pamkw

I love these discussions. They really make me stop and think. My brain is working kind of slow tonight, but I enjoyed it just the same. Personally, I think the Bible was written by a bunch of men who hated women and wanted a way to keep them down. Pam

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Just a question;

If I remember correctly the Earth rotates at roughly 1000 miles per hour, so if the Earth was stopped from rotating for 1 day, wouldn't all creation be thrown to the East at 1000 miles per hour? (See Newton's laws for gravity/motion.)

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."--J.F. Rutherford.

• kyria
    kyria

I've been reading the book of the Hopi recently. They have several flood stories in their mythology in which their people are wiped out for losing faith in god and letting "the holes in the tops of their heads" close up, through which god supplied them with knowledge. Many other cultures have flood myths as well, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

I remember as a kid, watching some documentary on Noah's ark and scientists talking about how their is geophysical proof that at some point there was a flood. My father saw this as just one more reason that his bible was right. Of course, it also proves that the Hopi and the Chinese and the Babylonians were right as well, but I doubt he saw it that way.

When I read the stories of other non-christian cultures I find them surprisingly, well, Christian. The names of the gods are different, but the morals are still the same. I stopped reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead because I found it annoyingly similar to the bible (well, in some ways).

I find these myths very interesting when you look at them as proof that something happened, and all these different cultures explained it in their own way, adding embellishments as they saw fit. Behind these myths are very strong messages about morality, or what was considered "morality" at the time, which usually had to do with survival (ie: don't be homosexual because we need our clan to reproduce, don't lie with strange women because you'll get a disease)

And, if you've ever read Lord of the Rings or Dune, you know how comparitively easy (that is, if you're a literary genius like Tolkien or Hebert) it is to create an entire world and mythology with very few holes in it. One person could easily accomplish this in his lifetime. If you have more than one writer, well, just tack Revelations onto the end of your story to give the mathematician with the penchant for eating funny mushrooms something to do.

• ros
    ros

jst2laws:

I see we are quite on the same wave. Very well put. (As I said, I think I am (we are) in some pretty good company. :-)

Blessings,

~Ros

• ros
    ros

jayhawk1 asked:

Just a question;

If I remember correctly the Earth rotates at roughly 1000 miles per hour, so if the Earth was stopped from rotating for 1 day, wouldn't all creation be thrown to the East at 1000 miles per hour? (See Newton's laws for gravity/motion.)

No. Only what is on the earth. (Or do you believe, as your comment might imply, that the universe revolves around the earth?)
    ~Ros

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit