Fables, Farces and Facts

by Farkel 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well the account in the book of Daniel pertaining to the fiery furnace incident is enough to put anybody off the notion that the Bible is Historically factual. Consider this dialogue:

"To you it is being said oh Peoples, national groups and languages, that at the times you hear the sound of the horn, the pipe, the zither, the triangular harp, the stringed instrument, the bagpipe and all sorts of musical instruments, you fall down and worship the image of gold".

And so the horn, the pipe, the zither, the triangular harp, the stringed instrument, the bagpipe and all sorts of musical instruments made their cacophanous racket and the people bowed.Well, of course the three lads did not comply at which point the chief visier went unto the King and said:

"Oh King, We did as you commanded and said unto the people, 'To you it is being said oh Peoples, national groups and languages, that at the times you hear the sound of the horn, the pipe, the zither, the triangular harp, the stringed instrument, the bagpipe and all sorts of musical instruments, you fall down and worship the image of gold', but the three Hebrewsdid not prostrate themselves".

At which the King commanded they be brought before him, and he asked them:

'You men, did you not here it said, "To you it is being said oh Peoples, national groups and languages, that at the times you hear the sound of the horn, the pipe, the zither, the triangular harp, the stringed instrument, the bagpipe and all sorts of musical instruments, you fall down and worship the image of gold'?

To which they replied:

"For a certainty oh King, We did hear the command 'at the times you hear the sound of the horn, the pipe, the zither, the triangular harp, the stringed instrument, the bagpipe and all sorts of musical instruments, you fall down and worship the image of gold'...

etc. etc.

etc.

Anyone who believes a conversation like THAT ever took place has rocks in their head.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I think they just left out the punch-line when they translated it.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yeah. It would make a great stand up routine for Steve Martin.

• Prisca
    Prisca

LOL @ plum

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Might have been thought up for teaching the kiddies.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Farkel said:

hooberus,

You said:

"When your local weatherman on TV tonight discusses the "sunset" and the "sunrise" be sure to call the station and explain to them that they need to fire their weatherman because the sun does not really rise or set, the earth rotates."

Strawman, and a rather stupid one at that. Name a single weatherman who believes the sun revolves around the earth. Get a clue. Either the account I referred to is allegory or it is fact. Stick with the issues. Did God stop the sun from moving or didn't he? If he did, he doesn't understand the nature of motion of his very OWN creation. If he didn't, the story is a lie.

There are no other alternatives, and you'd better get used to it. I can smell a strawman a mile away. I've trained myself to do this, just as you've trained yourself to offer those silly false-rebuttals up as "evidence" and hope no one will notice. I, for one, notice. There are others who do, too.

Nice but a totally lame try.

A strawman is when a person distorts the position of another and then argues against the distorted position which they just created. My comment was simply to show that just because a person uses language which can be construed as implying that the sun goes around the earth, this language does not prove that the person is actually believes this. Of course I don't believe that weatherman believe that the sun goes around the earth. My point was to show that even though weatherman believe that the earth rotates, that they use the earth as a reference frame for the sun, and thus use languge such as "sunrise" and "sunset". In the same way the fact that Joshua uses the earth as a reference frame and uses language such as the sun "standing still" certainly leaves open that concept that God knowing that the earth rotates simply used language (like the weatherman) in which the earth is used as a reference frame and then (like the weatherman uses "sunrise" and "sunset") the observation of movement is imparted to the sun.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

great post Frakell --and I also agree with garybuss I'm still back there with the issue of the talking snake and the naked woman . . . . . and did Adam stick up for her ? . .

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

No way Adam stood up for Eve...for godsake's...it is ALWAYS the naked woman's fault, I mean after all, what man would in his right mind not obey a naked woman????

• Farkel
    Farkel
    Here we go!
    hooberus,

You said:

"When your local weatherman on TV tonight discusses the "sunset" and the "sunrise" be sure to call the station and explain to them that they need to fire their weatherman because the sun does not really rise or set, the earth rotates."

Then I said: (you never bothered to differentiate our comments) Strawman, and a rather stupid one at that. Name a single weatherman who believes the sun revolves around the earth. Get a clue. Either the account I referred to is allegory or it is fact. Stick with the issues. Did God stop the sun from moving or didn't he? If he did, he doesn't understand the nature of motion of his very OWN creation. If he didn't, the story is a lie.

There are no other alternatives, and you'd better get used to it. I can smell a strawman a mile away. I've trained myself to do this, just as you've trained yourself to offer those silly false-rebuttals up as "evidence" and hope no one will notice. I, for one, notice. There are others who do, too.

Nice but a totally lame try.

then you replied with this most disengenouus comment: :A strawman is when a person distorts the position of another and then argues against the distorted position which they just created. My comment was simply to show that just because a person uses language which can be construed as implying that the sun goes around the earth, this language does not prove that the person is actually believes this. I did not "distort" the position of anyone, including you. If you think otherwise, then please show where I did this. You would make a great politician as all politicians are great liars, like you.. : Of course I don't believe that weatherman believe that the sun goes around the earth. My point was to show that even though weatherman believe that the earth rotates, that they use the earth as a reference frame for the sun, and thus use languge such as "sunrise" and "sunset". Of course, the original argument was that Joshua claimed that GOD made the sun stand still has nothing to do with your new and not very novel strawman is not the least bit obvious to you and your utterly pathetic apologetics for what the Babble actually SAYS God did, and you are not willing to accept that the Babble actually said what the Babble actually said, shows that you are in denial about the facts, according to the Babble. : In the same way the fact that Joshua uses the earth as a reference frame and uses language such as the sun "standing still" certainly leaves open that concept that God knowing that the earth rotates simply used language (like the weatherman) in which the earth is used as a reference frame and then (like the weatherman uses "sunrise" and "sunset") the observation of movement is imparted to the sun. Let us revisit this horseshit: : In the same way the fact that Joshua uses the earth as a reference frame and uses language such as the sun "standing still" certainly leaves open that concept that God knowing that the earth rotates simply used language (like the weatherman) in which the earth is used as a reference frame and then (like the weatherman uses "sunrise" and "sunset") the observation of movement is imparted to the sun. You gotta love it when the Babble freaks try to explain what should have been explained simply and clearly from the Creator himself in the first place! Anyone who has to go through THOSE type of hoops to explain the very WORD OF GOD proves that their god (little case on purpose) is a puny, stupid and irrelevant god only worthy of a thinking person's contempt. A smart God would communicate much more clearly. Your god prefers to communicate in the mud. Your god is a moron. Get used to it. Farkel

• avishai
    avishai
    the entire world would have noticed it, for they would either have 24 hours of the same darkness, light, or dusk.

Not to mention, folks, hooberus, etc., If god DID stop the earth from rotating, EVERYONE WOULD FALL THE F**K OFF!!! It's the earths rotation that causes a thing called "gravity". Whithout it, we would'nt have a thing called an "atmosphere" or "air".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit