Derek Chauvin - The Right to a Fair Trial

by Simon 240 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I wonder was it really necessary for Chauvin to place his knee across Floyd's neck area, I'm sure placing his knee across the top of his shoulders would have worked as well. - I think we've been through this issue earlier in the thread. Chauvin had his knee on different parts of Floyd's anatomy at different times.

And seeing how we're wondering what was necessary, I have one of my own: was it really necessary for George Floyd to resist arrest and refuse to get in the cop car?

Back to the verdict - I accept it.

If I was on the jury, knowing what I know, I probably would've acquitted Chauvin on the first two counts but found him guilty of the third charge (manslaughter) but I'm not in possession of all the facts of the case.

One thing I hope: I hope BLM and other sjw tossers don't weaponise this case to lead to police 'reform'. The police must be able to use force during their duty, including potentially lethal force.

The only lesson one can draw from this case is this: US citizens - live within the law and comply with police officers.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@LoveUni: it takes extraordinary strength to acquit in this case. The problem being that if you do, you know you will get fired from your job, you will be hated by some of your family and friends and people already called for the murder of the jury if it didn’t go their way. Not only that but you know the neighborhood where you live would go up in flames.

BLM/Antifa terrorists on Twitter and even CBS News had doxxed every single jury member and their alternates https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/04/20/it-happened-derek-chauvin-trial-jurors-now-partially-doxxed-as-they-deliberate-on-a-verdict-n365034

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

was it really necessary for George Floyd to resist arrest and refuse to get in the cop car ?

That goes without saying after the fact.

As I mentioned early Floyd has to bare some responsibility for what happened to him.

The use of deadly force by acting police officers against a individual who is suspect of a crime has to have its limits.

Police officers while on duty have to have the cognitive awareness to be in control of a situation within the bounds of legality during an altercation with an individual, if they cant do that they shouldn't be a police officer.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That goes without saying after the fact - yeah, it often isn't said, lol.

As I mentioned early Floyd has to bare some responsibility for what happened to him - so, yeah, Floyd should have gotten in the cop car, even though most media didn't say this.

Bottom line: citizens - comply with the cops.

Police officers while on duty have to have the cognitive awareness to be in control of a situation - agree. Chauvin could have stopped kneeling on Floyd once Floyd was on the floor, unarmed, and cuffed. <--- But how was this murder beyond reasonable doubt? (manslaughter - yes … but murder?)

The use of deadly force by acting police officers against a individual who is suspect of a crime has to have its limits - it already does.

• Simon
    Simon

People seem to have forgotten that the reason we have jury trials is because it's meant to be better than mob justice.

This was mob justice, not a fair trial, and it will be appealed because you can't imagine a more unfair trial situation than the jurors being under threat of death and senior politicians and the president commenting on that the result of the trial should be.

If it happens again at appeal, then what? Mistrial?

The short-sighted will miss the point that adhering to the principle of ensuring the right to a fair trial is way more important than the outcome of any individual case.

And the result appears to have deflated the impetus for police reform, so no one will get what they wanted.

But expect the long term effect of this to be fewer police. Who would go on duty in the current climate?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Watched the medical evidence and police experts. I have no horse in the race or agenda on American justice.

Looks to me like the jury did a great job and the evidence was overwhelming.

Justice served.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Justice served - yeah, maybe. I'm not in possession of all the details of the case, so I can't say for sure. I'll certainly go along with it. I'm not sure Joe Biden believes the guilty verdict was justice, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iVdsRiFnRc

Biden says he wants to usher reform that will mean black and brown people won't get killed by cops. Well, I've got a very simple solution. US citizens: comply with officers of the law. <--- not difficult, is it?

Biden also mentions systemic racism in the US criminal and justice system. Chauvin was fired and arrested immediately after killing Floyd, and was recently found guilty on all counts. I'm not sure systemic racism even exists in American institutions.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

They don't seem to get it. NAACP regarding the shooting in OH of MaKhia:

Like I said - this is going to happen again and again and again. It had nothing to do with being black. The girl was stabbing someone else, or about to stab someone else. Nothing to do with race - but EVERYTHING to do with character and conduct. There is a lot more crime in the black community - and the black community needs to dig into that problem. It has to do with culture (stop the rap bullshit), focus on school, stop blaming whites, and bring back fathers. Unfortunately, the only way fathers will come back into the picture is if the black community stands up to the people they vote for (the left) and tell them that they don't want the government substituting for fathers.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

An off the cuff question to this case ...

Did all of the attending cops not know that cutting off a person's breathing capability such a choke hold or knee against the neck could cause an individual to blackout and possibly die ?

The taunting by pedestrians seemed have created a psychological effect to Chauvin to directly oppose what the people were saying, kind of like I'm the law officer in charge here not they.

Overall I fail to see the intent to murder, one can look at the video footage which was presented in court and quickly come to that conclusion but there were other mitigating circumstances that needed to be addressed.

I certainly can see criminal negligence manslaughter in this incident.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    An off the cuff question to this case ...

Ummkay... why is it off-the-cuff? But I digress..

Did all of the attending cops not know that cutting off a person's breathing capability such a choke hold or knee against the neck could cause an individual to blackout and possibly die?

Yes, I'm sure all of them knew that cutting off a person's air would cause them to die. Who doesn't? So? What everyone saw was 1) Floyd die, and 2) Knee on the neck. And concluded that they were related. I would be willing to bet that if Floyd was forced into the back of the squad car, he would have just died there. It was an OD.

On what do I base this bet? Go back to the beginning of the thread. There are now two (2!) videos of Crowder getting the same treatment as Floyd. If this was a choke, it should affect all people the same, right? So if he gets a man of Chauvin's size to bounce around on this neck, and in some cases putting his entire weight on the neck, and sometimes putting his entire weight on the back, for more than 8 minutes, and Crowder has an ongoing heart condition, and he is fine - what does that tell you? Combine that with the levels of fentanyl, and the other drugs, and the testimony of his girlfriend (that they were in the middle of a drug deal and they were swallowed to hide the drugs)?

Can we rule out the knee from all causation? No. But based on all of the above, and the crowd's issue, and the rules around maintaining control of the situation, to me, this should have been acquittal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit