Elders - Law Enforcers or Loving

by Jim Dee 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

They don't care

They enforce the rules without compassion, dogma without dignity and punish with glee - it keeps the others in line. They have total control without guideline or being accountable to anyone.

I've been with this lot for 35 years - 12 of them as an elder.

Rule number one - no-one cares. I'f you've attempted suicide they will publicy reprove you and tell you to go more on the work (big help), if you've been disfellowshipped then "its in Gods hands - but Jehovah won't show compassion because the one who committed suicide turned his/her back on Jehovah. Rule Number two - if you want to get on as an Elder- be seen as a hard line, law enforcer. Disfellowship someone senior (pref another Elder) and you are seen as theocratic, strong and righteous. Rule number three - As an Elder - if you show compassion, reason or care - then the other elders make your life a misery (I know thanks - its what happened to me)

In your congregation - How many depressed, mentally ill, suicidal people do the elders visit to try and offer practical help - answer? The majority cannot be bothered - but they will chase you up if your report is late

Jim

• blondie
    blondie
    Rule number three - As an Elder - if you show compassion, reason or care - then the other elders make your life a misery (I know thanks - its what happened to me)

Jim, I know 3 elders who would agree with you on this point. All 3 stepped aside in the last 2 years over this point. I have been attending for 48 years and have seen it over and over. Is it no wonder that current elder bodies are made up of enforcers and the wimps who let them. Blondie

• Maverick
    Maverick

Very good points! The reason the brotherhood act like souless, lower level managers concerned with enforcing their "guildlines" is because they follow the lead of their overlords. The WatchTower is a business masquerading as a religion. It is just a cold, heartless corporation, devoid of any truly God-like qualities. So with this in mind it is of little wonder that JW elders behave like the petty, small minded, spiteful men that run it! Maverick

• rocketman
    rocketman

In regard to point #2, I don't necessarily think that you must have a hand in dfing someone else in order to be considered for the position of elder yourself. Maybe that's happened, but I wouldn't classify it as a rule.

The other points are right on, and basically, all elders are there to enforce wts policy and decisions. Compassion and flexibility soon get lost in that mix, and as Blondie mentions, the good guys often do not last as elders because, as human beings, they simply can't continue to in good conscience.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The way I see it, the elders are just third level sales managers in a book publishing corporation's distribution division and their primary goal is to secure and retain unpaid literature sales people who are loyal to the corporation and support the primary goal. They are mostly untrained in the facade areas they claim but they are very well trained in their real job of compliance enforcement and literature distribution.

Good thread Jim, glad to see you posting. GaryB

• metatron
    metatron

Rule Number 3 about being loving and kind is GOSPEL TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The organization is undergoing a "reverse cleansing" - in which the caring and thoughtful are slowly being screwed over

and pushed towards the door. By the time the elderly deadheads figure this out, the organization will be wrecked and

apathetic.

metatron

• caspian
    caspian

Jim you are a good man.

Excellent post, hope that you are OK

Cas

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Gary:

The way I see it, the elders are just third level sales managers in a book publishing corporation's distribution division and their primary goal is to secure and retain unpaid literature sales people who are loyal to the corporation and support the primary goal. They are mostly untrained in the facade areas they claim but they are very well trained in their real job of compliance enforcement and literature distribution.

Speaking of that, in the Sept. KM there is an insert about the new presses that will be installed at Wallkill. It will take up 590,00 square feet or 13 acres of land. It includes a new 140,000 sq. foot bldg. and renovation of the existing 450,000 sq. foot printery bldg. Total cost just at Wallkill, $50 million. These presses will be printing out an average cong's magazine order in 14 seconds.

The other branches receiving new presses are Britain, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, and South Africa. This report is supposed to bring greater joy and rejoicing to the R&F. I'm sad that 13 acres of land is being used up for an ugly, huge printing press machine. Oh, FWIW, the press is called MAN Roland Druckmaschien AG.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I neglected to mention that Wallkill will be receiving 2 of these new presses. There is supposed to be great excitement among the Bethel family that the GB approved of these purchases.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    In your congregation - How many depressed, mentally ill, suicidal people do the elders visit to try and offer practical help - answer? The majority cannot be bothered - but they will chase you up if your report is late

Yep... we can personally confirm the above is true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit