What is the alternative to JW?

by Formerbrother 475 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine
    Former Bro , most Christians believe in God and evolution . Read Francis Collin's " The Language of God " . He is a Bible believing Christian scientist . The only reason that you think that one has to choose between the two is WT teaching .PLEASE open your mind . You want a suggestion for a church , l will offer the Anglican Church . Only you won't consider that because your mind has been poisoned against it by the WT . You are stuck in an invisible prison in your head because the GB have cleverly put the bars in there . The Good News is that Christ came to set prisoners free . Jan
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    An alternative to JWism is to become a humanist. Stop worrying about what organized religion you are to join and start worrying about the welfare of your fellow man around you.
  • macys
    macys
    ^What Bonsai said. If God existed or actually cared then we wouldn't be having this discussion,
  • Half banana
    Half banana

I agree with you Bonsai and Macys, I joined the local Humanist group and heard interesting people who genuinely wanted to help their fellow humans.

One word of advice though, don't treat such an organisation as a substitute religion!

The only sensible alternative to JW indoctrination is a broad and evidence based, critically examined education.

All religion crumbles when examined on the basis of testable facts and events which are sceptically considered.

To be a JW is to be gullible...be sceptical instead.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Former Brother, I believe God still cares and provides guidance through the Bible. In the age of literacy, I believe we're responsible for picking up that guidebook and knowing it for ourselves. As I said before, there are alternatives and there isn't one right answer about a place of worship. Contrary to what the Watchtower has said, the truth is not a religion, it's Jesus. His death and more important, His resurrection, save us. It's a gift and not by works (Ephesians 2:8-9). That said, since it might be hard to know where to begin, here are some concrete steps:

Step 1. Pray for guidance and clarity as you study the Bible.

Step 2. Read the Bible without WT filters, blinders or commentaries and use a non-NWT translation. NKJV, NIV and NLT are all readily available options. Read entire chapters and books. Start with the New Testament. I say this not because the Old Testament isn't important (after all, it's 2/3 of the Bible) but because I get the sense the Watchtower focuses almost exclusively on the rule based system of the Old Testament and minimizes the New Covenant through Christ.

Alternate with Step 1.

Step 3. Only after doing Steps 1 and 2 repeatedly, start visiting churches in your area. I don't know where you're located but in the US, there are many options. I've attended Baptist, Methodist and non-denominational churches. Listen to what they're saying. Even if the cited Scripture is on a screen, look it up for yourself or write it down for future reference.

At this point, you might have questions. Ask the pastor who should be willing to discuss or look into them for you. If not, that might be a sign that it's not the place for you. You should also know that even within the same denomination, you may have different experiences. Don't give up! Watchtower talks endurance but tells you to give up on anything outside its doors. Don't believe it. That's how they've kept you so far.

I don't know if you mentioned it, but what were your reasons for questioning the Watchtower (and sparking a multipage discussion)? :) Their doctrinal problems aren't going to change without losing its uniqueness from "Christendom". And love your neighbor, don't lie, and be a good citizen aren't doctrines. Was it whitewashing history or hypocrisy? Sorry, but they're digging in their heels and that's just how they roll.

Step 4. All while repeating Steps 1 and 2, shop around and be discerning. Finding a new place of worship won't happen overnight. Be patient with the process and with yourself. Nowhere is perfect because we're all imperfect but faithfulness to the Bible for the sake of Christian growth, not someone's agenda should be apparent. Take care. I really hope you find Christian freedom.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Jesus Christ is the alternative to religion

He is the Saviour. Religion is a false substitute.

Religion cannot save. So don't join a church to get saved.

Get saved and find others who love Jesus and want to serve him.

You will find such in many assemblies.

Stay away from any church or group that claims it is the only church that God approves of or is necessary to follow to gain life everlasting.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Outsider looking in, excellent points!! This is what i try to say many times here to people who still believe in God but feel lost...but you said it so much more eloquently. The steps you listed were exactly what helped in my search.. Except instead of walking in to churches I shopped around online and chose carefully. Walked in to the one I chose and have been happy there for several years now. What I tried to express in a PM to former brother was that different denominations might appeal to what personally is our passion...mine is helping others, and I lean liberal, so I found a good fit for me. But a church that is conservative might be good for someone else. They are not different paths leading to God...they are the same path, and Christ is the way, the truth, and the life, and we all share this in common with small variations which aren't so important. Vanderhoven makes an important point: if they claim they are the only true church, dont walk, but RUN outta there!!!
  • Formerbrother
    Formerbrother
    Trying to find an alternative to JW's. After many years, I still can not find any other option that comes as close to ALL the Bible as JWs do.
    If there is an option that I have missed please tell me here, I would like to look into it deeply.
  • Formerbrother
    Formerbrother
    Jesus Christ is the alternative to religion

He is the Saviour. Religion is a false substitute.

Religion cannot save. So don't join a church to get saved.

Get saved and find others who love Jesus and want to serve him.

You will find such in many assemblies.

Stay away from any church or group that claims it is the only church that God approves of or is necessary to follow to gain life everlasting.

-

So on the one hand stay away from others who love Jesus true teachings, and on one hand find others who do love Jesus teachings and get together in assemblies?

Ummmm I dont get what you are saying?

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

Former Brother, I believe God still cares and provides guidance through the Bible. In the age of literacy, I believe we're responsible for picking up that guidebook and knowing it for ourselves. As I said before, there are alternatives and there isn't one right answer about a place of worship. Contrary to what the Watchtower has said, the truth is not a religion, it's Jesus. His death and more important, His resurrection, save us. It's a gift and not by works (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Outsider, we are in agreement about everything except from " there isn't one right answer about a place of worship." or all roads lead to God. I just cant see how it doesnt matter to God what you believe or who you follow.

It has to matter, there has to be one truth from the bible, not different truths many different interpretations that God is pleased with opposing beliefs?

If Jws are not correct, which I will possibly accept, then which option is the correct option that god is pleased with?

There has to be one truth, there cant be more than one option. There is no place in the Bible that indicates it doesnt matter if two followers of Jesus teachings have different beliefs about the bible, they are both correct. Think about it.

So again, which option is there if not JW's?

Mormons, maybe? One of the 30K so called Christian faiths? If so which one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit