JWs have more good points than bad

by lsw1961 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JWs have more good points than bad is a very sweeping thing to say. How is a points system arrived at? What are the rules for scoring?

Does the 2 witness rule that protects paedophiles within the organisation equal in points to something in all other religions?

Just curious.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

lsw1961-

I will agree with you that JWs have many good points. Personally, I feel that they good does not outweigh the bad. I also feel that you cannot truthfully say that you can be intellectually honest as a JW. If you don't agree with a particular teaching, are you allowed to say so during a WT study? What would happen if you did? Would you teach that false teaching to a bible student? What if you went on a study with another publisher who was teaching that point? What if a CO or elder accompanied you on a study and a point came up that you didn't agree with?

You may say that the light gets brighter, but many of the changes in "understandings" are not refinements. They are outright reversals. Why should I believe that the current understanding is anymore true than the previous one? How many times has the "understanding" of the meaning of "this generation" changed? Are you really teaching "truth"?

You ask why many of us don't just go away. Part of it has to do with how we are treated as ex-JWs. The organization doesn't leave us alone. We are cast as "mentally diseased" and our friends and family are told not to associate with us. Many of us don't even want to discuss religion with our families. We'd just like to have a normal family relationship. Unfortunately, the WT org makes that impossible as there is no way to leave the org and not lose family and/or friends. So comparing us attacking the org to an ex-husband monitoring and attacking his wife is only a proper analogy if the wife was unfairly keeping the kids from her ex-husband and lying to them and to the authorities to keep the kids away. In that case it would be proper for the ex-husband to monitor his wife and use whatever legal means necessary to get his kids back. That is how we feel and why we continue to "attack" the org. The great thing is that the org provides all we need to "attack". Some ex-JWs do exaggerate and make stuff up, but they are in the minority.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around. We like to hear alternate viewpoints. Although some will respond hurtfully, understandably since they've been hurt, most will respond with very good points to consider.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Isw1961 - I look forward over the next few days to examine your Biblical proof which proves that I am lying and slandering God's alleged organization/FDS/direct channel of communication on earth.

Here's another recent "little white lie" which they published-

w10 2/15 pp. 15-16 par. 8 - "The anointed followers of Christ have been extending the invitation since as far back as 1918. In that year, the public talk entitled "Millions Now Living May Never Die"........"

w14 5/15 p. 31 - "As a grand finale, a hundred copies of the booklet Millions Now Living Will Never Die! are distributed,..."

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I'll just pick one of these for now.

#4 their fight for freedom of expression which I also used to boast about is completely nullified by their not practicing it. Shunning and censorship of critics makes them blatant hypocrisy in this regard. Their proud arrogant fight for freedom of religion is denied their own members.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

It would do well to review pages 345--348 of this court transcript!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/131122/1954-douglas-walsh-transcript-pdf You can also find it by typing in the words (Walsh transcript) in the Search window above.

WTUnderground!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Ok, I have provided a document! Now it is your turn!

WTUnderground!

• Watchtower-Free
  • Divergent
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    "...spewing venom..."

Pointing out falsehoods and speaking truth is NOT spewing venom.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Welcome LSW, glad you posted. What else do you disagree with the WTS about? I'm always curious about how current JWs feel about things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit