JWs have more good points than bad

by lsw1961 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I don't have time to read all of this. I would simply say that if Jehovah's Witnesses did not have some good things going for them, they wouldn't be around. I had some very good JW friends when I was still active. I knew a lot of very good people who were JW, and they have some very good teachings.

There are, however, two sides to every coin. If we are being honest, we have to acknowledge that the religion has some very problematic policies in place that have caused great harm to both individuals and families. If you could put an end to Watchtower abuses, they would be a reasonably good fundamentalist Christian community. Until that happens, however, they are are not a safe place to have your family. There are much, much better places to be imo.

• sparky1
    sparky1

The Jehovah's Witness religion is not a smorgasbord where you can take what you want and leave behind what you don't want. It is a full on commitment. If you don't understand that lsw1961, than you are not a REAL Jehovah's Witness and your posts are meaningless claptrap.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Isw1961, you never call or write - not even a postcard!

Pity you can't offer any defence of the Org's so-called Bible truths presented to you. Maybe one day..............

• lsw1961
    lsw1961
    Ucantnome

You ask me “Do you have faith in the good news Isw1961?”

Answer to this question has already and repeatedly appeared in my replies to various questions. Still I am answering it for you.

I am not just believing this faith of good news of the new world, but already living this faith. For me new world is not just a promise to be realized in the future; I have made it a reality in my mind. There is no need for external permission for this purpose: every individual can enter into this state ­ by his own decision. I take every incident at which people usually get offended as normal and adjust to it, just as all situations, both pleasant and unpleasant, are accepted within a family. I just universalize this family culture wherever I go, thus making my life already in a new world. My principle for living I found in Mathew 25:31-40 where the eternal principle is given (if you want to receive joy, first give joy to others). Be creators (not just reactors) of good and positive thoughts! When we are careless, we hurt others. Hence I take care to think before speaking and acting so that whatever I do should not cause any sorrow to others. This works—I live in the new world even now as I receive cooperation from others. If you are not joyful, you are running against even the very nature of the physical world in which we live. We know that atoms consist of particles and these particles are not made of any material stuff. When we observe them, we never see any substance; what we observe are dynamic patterns continually changing into one another-a continuous dance of energy. Dance is the symbol of joy. Hence be joyful always by giving joy and receiving it back!

See how correctly Albert Einstein identified the problem: “We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.” Bible too says: "Widen out."
  • azor
    azor

Wow ISW you really do live in your own private Idaho. I love that you quoted an atheist at the end there. Probably didn't even know that due to your brainwashing.

I don't know if I should be irritated with you or just sorry for you. A little of both. It truly is astonishing how hard our mind works to make our belief systems deal with reality. You are a tremendous example of cognitive dissonance, and bias. Type in "bending truth" into YouTube if you dare. You may learn some uncomfortable truths about your current dialogue here that will likely cause you to lose sleep at night.

Simon - maybe we can send this correspondence to a University that specializes in cognition biases and there effects.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    Isw1961:
    This shows one should take JW teaching in its essence, not in its details (which means: accept Kingdom Message, at the same time choose between other teachings—for example, ensure your own material independence flouting their teaching on higher studies for which there is no punitive measures taken)

"For which there is no punitive measures taken"... LOL

True, you went for higher education while your dad is an elder, but it might not have been taken so seriously back then

Why not consider the current situation. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Is it possible to be appointed as a ministerial servant / elder if you go for higher education?

2. Is it possible to remain as a ministerial servant / elder if you go for higher education?

3. Is it possible to be appointed as a ministerial servant / elder if you send your children for higher education?

4. Is it possible to remain as a ministerial servant / elder if you send your children for higher education?

5. Is it possible to be appointed as a ministerial servant / elder if you encourage higher education?

6. Is it possible to remain as a ministerial servant / elder if you encourage higher education?

7. Would you be viewed as spiritually strong or spiritually weak if you go for higher education?

8. Would you be viewed as spiritually strong or spiritually weak if you send your children for higher education?

9. Would you be viewed as spiritually strong or spiritually weak if you encourage higher education?

10. Would you be viewed as going against the direction of the organization / disrespecting the organization, if you go for higher education?

11. Would you be viewed as going against the direction of the organization / disrespecting the organization, if you send your children for higher education?

12. Would you be viewed as going against the direction of the organization / disrespecting the organization, if you encourage higher education?

13. If you choose to go for higher education, would the elders meet with you to discourage you from doing so?

14. If you choose to send your children for higher education, would the elders meet with you to discourage you from doing so?

15. If you encourage higher education, would the elders meet with you in the back room for a "friendly chat"?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I am not just believing this faith of good news of the new world, but already living this faith.

Faith is a word that is often used to feel ok about ourselves when our mind is closed and we have given up or can't be bothered looking any further.

For me new world is not just a promise to be realized in the future; I have made it a reality in my mind.

Sometimes we need delusions to keep us going. People who can successfully delude themselves until they come to grips with reality, often appear happier than the people who can’t.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I am not just believing this faith of good news of the new world, but already living this faith. For me new world is not just a promise to be realized in the future; I have made it a reality in my mind. There is no need for external permission for this purpose: every individual can enter into this state ­ by his own decision. I take every incident at which people usually get offended as normal and adjust to it, just as all situations, both pleasant and unpleasant, are accepted within a family. I just universalize this family culture wherever I go, thus making my life already in a new world.

This reminds me of a film I saw where a guy goes on holiday to Mars in his mind.

And no wonder. What good news they have to tell the people! They proclaim the good news that the millennial rule of Christ will begin with this generation and that it will mean ever so many blessings for the people :..Watchtower June 1 1968 page 331

This Watchtower quote is talking about Matthew 28:19,20 which Jehovah's Witnesses were carrying out this commission at the time in 197 lands and islands.

the good news of the millennial rule of Christ is the thousand year reign of Christ not something taking place in your mind.

This occurs after Har-Magedon, Revelation 20:1-3 and not as part of it according to God's Eternal Purpose Now Truimphing for Man's Good page 186

As far as I know this has not taken place and the teaching has been changed on the defining of the generation.

• lsw1961
    lsw1961

Ucantnome

How you feel is your choice.

The idea behind my stand is that first you live out your faith by creating the New World in your mind. Then it does not matter when God’s Kingdom is going to come.

• lsw1961
    lsw1961

Diveecrgent

Such exhaustive questions do not matter; because I became an elder when I did not want to become one. Two elders asked before one service meeting after a CO visit "is it ok with me being appointed as an elder, I said OK. If this is taken out from me, then also it is OK with me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit