When did Cook, the new GB member, start claiming to be anointed, and what are the implications?

by jwfacts 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Kenneth Cook was a "helper" in the writing department, which is apparently a role for those of the Great Crowd.

Watchtower 15/10/15 p.3 states that helpers are of the Great Crowd. "Since 1992, the Governing Body has appointed experienced, mature Christian elders to help its committees carry out their work.* These helpers, from among the "other sheep," provide valuable support to the Governing Body."

At https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5656472215093248/new-member-governing-body-24-jan-2018?page=10 there is a comment that around the time of him being in the writing department in 2008 he started to claim to be anointed. Does anyone know the sequence of events between him joining the writing department and his becoming anointed.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 10.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 10.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} span.s2 {font-kerning: none; color: #337ab7; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #337ab7}

To rise to the top of the organization requires claiming to be of the anointed and it seems very strategic for those high up in the ranks to start making that claim. I always felt the same when I heard Geoff Jackson started taking the emblems after he got as high as he could as one of the Great Crowd. I wonder if these brothers really believe they are anointed, or are just playing a game of strategy. It would be interesting to know if any Governing Body members encourage those they think would be suited to being on the Governing body to consider if they are anointed. It would be quite an indication of whether some of the Governing Body members really believe it to be the "truth," or are more interested in the power that the position provides them with.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I agree, however, look at what it implies. Is rising to the top in that organization worth it? What do you get from that? The illusion of going to heaven and reign with Jesus or living forever on Earth surrounded by those same people. And the things that people have to give up to get there are beyond ridiculous.

To me that proves that it never is about the well being of people; it's about nobodies feeling like somebodies by exercising power over other people's decisions.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To rise to the top of the organization requires claiming to be of the anointed and it seems very strategic for those high up in the ranks to start making that claim.

I think you answered your own question JWfacts

When your among the top leaders of the organization (GB) and see their privileges, power and overall stature among the rest of the Bethel staff , it would compel people to join this elite club.

The free travel around the world and getting treated like a beloved celebrity wherever you go may be part of the wanting desire.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

That's exactly what I said on a reddit thread, but no one seemed to realise it's relevance. Cook became "anointed" around 10 years ago...(apparently he decided he was in the dining room!)this Also means he is not of 'this generation'' since he was anointed after the 1914 ones had died off.

I thought Cook was the first, but if Geoff Jackson* also started partaking when he was called to Bethel, he too may not be of "this generation".

JWfacts I agree that cynical taking of the emblems would lead one to conclude they are not true believers. However all Witnesses compartmentalise, (and speak out of both sides of their mouths!), and I believe they would say that The very fact they had climbed so high would make them believe Jehovah had blessed them - therefore they must be anointed!

* Paul I always wondered what your take on Geoff was....when do you think he became anointed?

• steve2
    steve2

There is no delusion quite as compelling as a religious one. Look at all the people from diverse religious backgrounds who claim to have had "a personal experience with Christ" which has transformed them. How Christ could have done that when many of those claimants come from competing belief systems is never explained. Yet each individual who claims such "a personal experience with Christ" (to use their terminology) is utterly convinced that he or she has been personally touched by Christ. Emotion trumps reason.

I would suggest it is no different within a religious organization whose teachings limit the top positions to those who are "anointed". By limiting access, they increase the incredible allure of the top positions. So, yes, men's ambition for going as high as they can is a factor in motoring their way to the top. But so is self-induced religious delusion. It is not unique to JW organization - but it does play out in a unique - and to outsiders, a comical - manner in that organization. Where else other than in JW organization is the simple profession of believing one is going to heaven the subject of so much gossip and back-biting? BTW, I'm an atheist.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I've wondered the same thing. The whole thing is really suspicious.

scratchme1010: look at what it implies. Is rising to the top in that organization worth it? What do you get from that?

Is rising to the top of the org worth it??? It's all they've ever lived for. These guys would be zeroes if they left the org, but inside, they're stars, kings, powerful CEOs, etc. They're adored and looked up to.

JWs want to have their pictures taken with them. JWs line up to shake their hands and maybe have a few words with them. They travel the world and are treated like stars. They have good food and nice living quarters, and who knows what kinds of gifts and perks they receive in private. I believe these guys would go into deep depression if they lost their org status.

I've observed the JW "climbing the ladder" phenomenon for decades. I've seen men desperate to get on the list to carry microphones or read at the Watchtower Study. Then, after they've done that for a while, they're dissatisfied and want to go to the next level; they want to be ministerial servants and give instructional talks, not just student talks. And then they want to be elders and so on.

The JW higher-ups such as Cook have lived in the insular JW world for decades; it's their only world, and they aspire to rise to the top. Think about Cook. He's older, and he was a helper - just a helper. You know he had to think about being on the GB as he observed the younger Sanderson and others.

My feeling is that he started to rationalize and perhaps convince himself he had the calling, and that, perhaps, as jwfacts indicated, he got a little suggestive nudging from others.

And, if some of these guys have finally realized that it's all a bunch of bologna anyway, then they have nothing to lose by faking a divine calling. These guys are older. They're out of shape and not good-looking. They're not good speakers. They don't seem to be very smart. Etc. They could leave the org and be Walmart greeters or stay and be idolized kings in their own realm.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda
    And, if some of these guys have finally realized that it's all a bunch of bologna anyway, then they have nothing to lose by faking a divine calling.

Yes Magnum!

Does anyone know the sequence of events between him joining the writing department and his becoming anointed.

Hopefully one of the leakers in Bethel will let us know. There seem to be more everyday!

This makes me think about how much the writing department must have shrunk lately, hence less "helpers" to pick from. They probably have another testing ground to get helpers from... or not, sometimes they are terrible planners!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Could there be one of the other GB members in bad health, instating the thought that there needs to be a replacement ?

I wonder if Sander's flub at the ARC investigation when he said that the JWS organization was not exclusively chosen by god has some relevance to the rest of the GB members to evaluate who needs to go and who needs to come in their select group ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To be a good supportive company man you need to be good liar when necessary.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FWIW

jwfacts: Watchtower 15/10/15 p.3 states that helpers are of the Great Crowd. "Since 1992, the Governing Body has appointed experienced, mature Christian elders to help its committees carry out their work.* These helpers, from among the "other sheep," provide valuable support to the Governing Body."

That WT above, does NOT list Cook as a helper.

I don't believe that it is rigid that the GB helpers are specifically 'other sheep' and NOT 'annointed' - I suspect that the 2015 article was written the way it was because, at that time, all the helpers where, coincidently, 'other sheep'.

When the GB helper came in to being, the WT repeatedly highlighted that:

Watchtower April 15, 1992 - Announcement: Assistance for Governing Body Committees

Therefore it has been decided to invite several helpers, mainly from among the great crowd, to share in the meetings of each of the Governing Body Committees, that is, the Personnel, Publishing, Service, Teaching, and Writing Committees. Thus, the number attending the meetings of each of these committees will be increased to seven or eight. Under the direction of the Governing Body committee members, these assistants will take part in discussions and will carry out various assignments given them by the committee. This new arrangement goes into effect May 1, 1992.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit