Why Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses Allowed To Freely Express Themselves?

by minimus 113 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It's a simple fact. JW's CANNOT freely express themselves. They can't freely tell another about a doubt or a question that they might have for fear they could be exposed to the elders. They can't just say that they don't like the way an elder conducts a meeting or exerts his opinions. A JW can't just say, "I'm just going on a sabbatical and may return to the congregation a year from now". You just CAN'T say that without repercussions. A JW can't just say, "What a great "R" rated movie I saw last night!" A Witness just can't talk like that......Why aren't JW's allowed to freely express themselves???

• willyloman
    willyloman

Here's one reason:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/58668/1.ashx

In an elder's meeting once, the CO asked the boys why they thought meeting attendance was down dramatically. Most knew the meetings were boring, that the friends were too buy making a living and keeping up with day to day problems of life and were finding the meetings irrelevant and that there were too many demands being made on people. But at this meeting, the responses all fell into platitude territory: lack of appreciation, not studying/going out in service/associating enough, and all that crap. In other words, the elders gave the CO what they felt were "safe" responses. Those who knew the answer also knew better than to be forthright. This describes perfectly how this organization is run and explains why nothing will ever change. There is no freedom of expression, no room for dissent. And the suggestion box is closed.
  • Panda
    Panda

Becuz' mind control means never getting to say what you enjoy in life; becuz you never get any joy in life.

If something makes you feel good you better quit before the spies tell on you.

• minimus
    minimus

I've seen rogue, mischevious elders go against the CO and DO at assembly meetings with elders. They are quickly clamped down on and any discussion is done after the (set up) vote is already in.

• Francois
    Francois

Straight out of 1984, Mr. Loman.

francois

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The same question can be asked about Ex-JWs....Censorship has reached epidemic proportions

• Dimples
    Dimples

One word....FEAR!!!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

JWs are taught from the WTS to live life according to what Jehovah approves or disapproves of. You'll hear JWs say "I don't think Jehovah would approve of that", but you never say "Jehovah would fully approve of that". JWs become extremely paranoid of pissing off Jehovah.

When you ask a JW a question such as "Is there anyone you know that you'd like to see dead", they'll give you an answer of "No, because Jehovah doesn't approve of murderers". If you ask a worldly person this question, he'll say "Yeah, I'd like to see that SOB who ran off with my wife dead!"

It's control when the word "I" is replaced with "Jehovah"

• Benny Sikter
    Benny Sikter

My reply to this good question is that Jehovah's Witnesses are not guided by Gods Spirit. In 2 Corinthians 3:17 we read: "Now Jehovah is the Spirit, and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom."

If all Witnesses around the world really knew "the spirit of Jehovah", they would be allowed to freely express themselves without any fear to be judged by the elders. Who gave the elders the right to judge in the congregations? Jesus Christ? Jehovah God? No, they did not! (See Matthew 7:1; Romans 14:4)

Benny Sikter, Sweden

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Well, it's because it can cause a lot of free and independent thoughts. And you are not supposed to be free and independent if you are a jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit