Newbies! Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

by jgnat 226 Replies latest members private

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, AlanF. I knew I would miss some important links. There is so much information out there.

Posted today, a marvellous inside view on the making of a "society man" by JT.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/62554/1.ashx

• dottie
    dottie

Bttt cos I am ROTFLMAO at Syn's links and all the other links are VERY helpful...Great Idea Jgnat

• Sassy
    Sassy

When I read (and posted) in this thread before I wasn't ready to research anything. It was enough for me to know I had felt right about not being a JW any more. I didn't care if there was more justification for how untrue a path it is. I guess we must evolve as we pull further and further away, because I now feel comfortable about reading and learning "why not" be a Jehovah's Witness. In fact I find I need to because as I continue to have family and old friends try to pull me back into the "fold" it is important for me to have reasons why NOT to be a JW more than "I just don't want to" any more. It's like when we were raised to not celebrate the holidays, they taught us to train our children WHY NOT to celebrate, so they didn't have only one reason (its against my religion) to tell someone if asked. Well I need to be able to back up WHY NOT BE A JW. I guess I am ready now, where as I wasn't earlier in this thread.

I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can look at the links as I have time. SimpleSally is also going to borrow me the book Crisis of Conscience.

• jgnat
    jgnat

SNS, I think you are on to something. I, too, did not bother researching the foundation of my own faith until it was challenged. Information has helped me, too, in building a strong mental defence to the onslaught of information, also known as Awake! and Watchtower.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

a thumb up, just to 'bump to the top'.

Still an excellent thread, and it's worth bringing it back up, as we get newbies/lurkers continually.

SYN's links, are a scream.....so for the sake of humour, give them a read as well.

• JT
    JT

SNS says

Like I need to use my brain on my own for the first time. And yet then I think, this is crazy, how in the world am I going to figure it all out 'in my head' if I don't do the research. I feel right now like I am on unstable ground not sure where to go. I don't want to go back, but not sure how to go forward and who to trust. I can't even pray any more even though I do still believe in God. I feel like I am in limbo and space and not sure where to turn and not have the floor fall out from under me.

Did anyone else feel that way? Is there something wrong with me?

i like those cool shades you are wearing- well my dear friend there AIN'T nothing wrong with you

when Lady "C" and myself were leaving we felt just like you, in fact i bet you that 99% of those here can tell you the same thing

do yourself one big favor TAKE YOUR TIME examine things for yourself

you are about to exp the most exciting feeling in your life, the feeling of being FREE TO THINK FOR YOURSELF

it appears that you are female from your photo, well as a female jw you are about to exp true freedom

Lady "C" despite being an elders wife hated the way women were viewed and treated as if they were DUMB

their veiws, thoughts or suggestions were often time very much unwelcomed

so take your time

if you like my wife would love to touchbase with you offline

Lady "C" has a way with making folks feel right at home feel free to touchbase with us

here in the DC area 202-209-4629 or

[email protected]

Jt

you will be just fine just hang in there

• dottie
    dottie

BTTT

• Sassy
    Sassy

Thanks jgnat and JT. JT, I'll send you a pm later regarding touching base with your wife. I appreciate the offer.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What the internet needs is a user-friendly "road map" type of site (a good metaphor, since the Society itself uses this notion in the Life Forever book), which organizes neatly all the varied topics but presents it in a sensibility attractive to the semi-active Witness, in a friendly, gentle non-threatening style reminiscent of the Ray Franz books. I think there is another current thread in this forum that discusses such an idea. --Leolaia

• jgnat
    jgnat

Leolaia, there is a very good reason such a roadmap has not been built yet. IT IS TOO MUCH FREAKING WORK.

ahem

Sorry about that. Lost it for a moment. I know I come across as a little strident, especially since you brought the idea up so civilly.

See, I do this kind of thing for a living. The idea of creating a proper index for this massive bowl of exploding rainbow jello (otherwise known as a Discussion Board) makes my head hurt.

Kind of why I created this thread to begin with. Just enough to point people in the right direction, hinting at the MASSES of information available right under their fingertips.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit