Election Post-Mortem

by Simon 133 Replies latest social current

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

In times of hardship voters always lean towards the more extreme, nationalistic candidates or parties. When they fail to deliver the pendulum swings backs.

It has occurred through history. Just recently in my own country of Scotland the more extreme nationalistic party won nearly the entire counties seats at Westminster which is unheard of for a minority party but only because there are hardships and people want change.

All across Europe at present there are rises in these extreme nationalistic parties where, eventually, if hardships continue, will gain political power in each country.

It's the same in the US with Trump...he promised something different and less liberal...the voters went for it.

If I was a US citizen...I would have voted Trump too....even though he is an idiot I couldn't take more of the weak democrat politics...and the fact Hilary would have gone to war with Putin whilst Trump seems cosy to him.

All depends now on how Trump and NATO get on...NATO without US are goosed and Europe will be there for the taking by Putin....and he knows it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

notsurewheretogo,

...Hilary would have gone to war with Putin whilst Trump seems cosy to him.

...NATO without US are goosed and Europe will be there for the taking by Putin....and he knows it.

Do you realize the contradiction in your comment? You want Trump to be cozy to Putin while acknowledging his tyrannical behavior and danger to the world?

• garyneal
    garyneal

I voted Trump too. My vote had little to do with the so called "white-lash" that that idiot on CNN stated and more to do with the fact that I am tired of seeing jobs going overseas, decimating economies like my hometown. Tired of hearing that the solution to illegal immigration is to pretend it does not exist or is not that bad. Tired of companies cheaping out on labor costs by exporting jobs or importing third world immigrants (H1-B visas) while I as an American still need to pay ever higher prices for food and shelter.

Of course, I know Trump would be able to do precious little about this as the Democratic and Republican establishment would never work with him on these issues. Never-the-less, as a #NeverHillary voter, I would've been okay with anyone else and that includes Sanders, Johnson, or even Jill Stein. BUT, I only saw Trump as the candidate who had a ghost of a chance in beating her.

The social justice warriors who frame everything as oppression by the patriarchy and/or the white man in spite of facts to the contrary had little to do with it. Of course, calling all Trump supporters racists, misygonists, and bigots made people like me never reveal my intended vote during the campaign. I shy Trump supporter.

• Simon
    Simon

There are lots of issues conflated.

I don't think people voted Trump because the majority of people are suddenly racist as some want to claim (the BLM guy has tweeted some obnoxious nonsense). After all, many of those same people / areas previously voted for Obama. But, at the same time, some of them didn't *because* he was black and some truly racist low-lifes are now emboldened and a lot of Trump's language has already (from accounts) initiated ugly incidents of racism in schools and public places around the country.

That Trump will be a bull in a china shop is his appeal to those left behind & disgruntled by the system (there is no guarantee that he will of course, he may just want his turn at the trough).

But was it really worth the tradeoff for the potentially dangerous other things that come in the box?

• Nathan Natas
  • prologos
    prologos
    nswtg: "All depends now on how Trump and NATO get on...NATO without US are goosed and Europe will be there for the taking by Putin....and he knows it.

Perhaps the hawks that will surround Trump , will get his temper up when Russia keeps pushing into territory that he by law is obligated to defend. all he demanded during the election speeches was to have Europe take on more of the defense effort, a good idea, given the first class job that Russian propaganda, education has done to smear the real benefactors in the post-era mess, the USA, and to eradicate the memory of the war, crimes .ethnic cleansing against millions of Poles, germans. perpetrated by the soviet regime.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    But was it really worth the tradeoff for the potentially dangerous other things that come in the box?

Color me naive but I really do not see how Trump would be any more dangerous than Hillary. In fact, given how much he was loathed by not only the Democrats but by members of his own party, I don't see how he would get much done.

Hillary, on the other hand, could have had a lot more people saying yes to her since not only did the Democrats want her, so did many members of the Republican party. Including neo-cons like George W Bush and Dick Cheney. If that don't scream, "She's establishment...," I don't know what does.

I really thought that Trump had no chance in hell in winning the presidency because it was so obvious that (in the words of George Carlin) "...the owners of this country don't want that." The powers that be clearly wanted Clinton and Trump winning was a big F-U to the plutocrats.

With that many people of power in your corner, there's no telling what Hillary Clinton could've been capable of had she won the white house. She would not be listening to the people, that's for damn sure.

But, at the same time, some of them didn't *because* he was black and some truly racist low-lifes are now emboldened and a lot of Trump's language has already (from accounts) initiated ugly incidents of racism in schools and public places around the country.

As opposed to the bigots who are beating up on Trump supporters (like the video Nathan Natas posted). Not to mention all the protesters who would pick fights with Trump supporters during his events. I mean, really, we've all seen the protesters outside the JW Assemblies. How would JWs respond to those protesters becoming violent at these Assemblies? This violates freedom of assembly. What about the latest assassination attempt on Trump? What about people like Scott Adams who said that he got death threats for even suggesting that Trump might win the presidency?

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I really thought that Trump had no chance in hell in winning the presidency because it was so obvious that (in the words of George Carlin) "...the owners of this country don't want that." The powers that be clearly wanted Clinton and Trump winning was a big F-U to the plutocrats.
    Really? This sounds very conspiracy-theory. I could also flip that and say that "the powers that be" wanted Trump.

As to who would be more likely to start a war... who knows. Perhaps Hillary, perhaps Trump. Perhaps we were fucked either way.
  • garyneal
    garyneal
    Really? This sounds very conspiracy-theory. I could also flip that and say that "the powers that be" wanted Trump.

Yeah it does sound tin-foil hatty but given that even neo-cons were backing Clinton. I really don't see how the "powers that be" wanted Trump given that practically everyone (the Dems, the Republicans, the National Review, many conservative and libertarian commentators like George Will and Thomas Sowell, and the main stream press) had nothing good to say about him.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm hoping that Trump will see the impracticality of some of his ideas, which I think he only said to get votes and that he operates this USA company not according past promises but according to what is good for the country,,and I hope group think doesn't happen with this new administration like it did during Nixon's time in office. To have good team you need people not afraid to speak up to the boss for the good of the country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit