Election Post-Mortem

by Simon 133 Replies latest social current

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ok, Simon, give us the links to the "alternate" covers that show Hillary as the loser and Trump as the winner.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Nathan don't be an ass of course they exist. Most major newspapers in the UK have had an outline for the Queens obituary for years....doesn't mean they want her to die. They would have had a leader prepared for either win.

• Simon
    Simon
    give us the links to the "alternate" covers that show Hillary as the loser and Trump as the winner.

You mean the publications that were available to buy in the shops?

• Simon
    Simon

One thing that's strange is how many issues seem to have a correlation even though they shouldn't.

I wonder, is this simply due to the fact that the two main political parties tend to divide issues up and if one "claims" something the other tends to become against it?

Take immigration. Why can't people be against unchecked immigration but pro-abortion / women's right to chose?

Same with gay marriage and gun control and so many other issues.

Fiscal conservatism seems to have been completely lost in the mix now but that, combined with social fairness, seems to me to be the ideal centre that neither party satisfies or serves. If you want small 'c' conservatism you need to also get wars, voter suppression and racist rhetoric ... why?

Why is it, if someone identifies their views on one issue, is it often so easy to have a pretty good guess at what their views on a whole other range of issues will be?

Is it that the parties feed the sentiment and opinion or reflect the opinions of those who join?

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

One thing that's strange is how many issues seem to have a correlation even though they shouldn't ...

Would you get upset if I hit like about 100 times?!?!?!?!?! I thought no one got it.

• bohm
    bohm
    And this is why your little mind will never comprehend why Clinton lost.

No, you are correct. I cannot comprehend why so many people who otherwise gives the apperance of supporting the american constitution and the values it stands for (as I do) would elect a person who advocate warcrimes and plainly unconstitutional ideas, nor why they would put someone who regularly loose his shit on twitter in charge of the greatest military on earth.

Trump came to this election with the same "you are part of a down-trodden group, you have every right to be angry, now let's go show em'"-rethoric which you can find on the furthest end of the regressive left, and then kept pandering to the feeling of being persecuted and convinced nearly half the population they should rally behind him because he would "fix" everything: Been there done that.

The ironic thing is that so many of his supporters can't see they are doing exactly the same gender politics crap that they keep pointing out amongst the "evil left".

Oh but I know: "Hillary Hillary Hillary, that thing on Yale a few years ago, Hillary Hillary, look at this crap on Tumbler, buhu mean things about white men, Cologne Hillary & you have a small mind".

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hmmm...

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

No, you are correct. I cannot comprehend why so many people who otherwise gives the apperance of supporting the american constitution and the values it stands for (as I do) would elect a person who advocate warcrimes and plainly unconstitutional ideas, nor why they would put someone who regularly loose his shit on twitter in charge of the greatest military on earth ...

Ad nauseum.....and this is why your little mind will never comprehend why Clinton lost....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should be realized that this election had a under cutting flair to racism, spear headed by a man who has that internally placed deep into character and persona.

There are people who live in the US who perceive the white race as the superior race, the most righteous moral race, the most Christian race and that it this belief that makes it vitally important that the President of the US should therefore also be white Anglo Saxon Christian.

Trump's win came partially from that long standing perception, along with his strongly voiced economic nationalism, which brought on support from the economically depressed regions of the US.

There were a large number of people who couldn't embrace confidence in Hillary Clinton to rectify those pertaining problems, so they blocked out Trump's questionable character and voted for him instead, money was really a bigger issue for them.

The only problem with his ideas is that he not pro union or labor, he's pro business and said repeatably that the cost of labor is too expensive in the US and it needs to be bought down.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    One thing that's strange is how many issues seem to have a correlation even though they shouldn't ...

Good points Simon. Try saying that you think that BOTH the right to marry whomever you want AND the right to own a gun are protected by the Constitution. I keep running into people who seem to think holding both of those ideas is wrong, or impossible. Or that believing one implies agreement with some extreme position. For example saying that I believe one has a general right to own a gun doesn't mean I'm opposed to background checks.

We've created this horrid all or nothing binary division that makes discussion and compromise a thing of the past. The politicians on both sides won't settle for anything less than all of everything they want. Increasingly, the result is nobody gets anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit