Generally Speaking Do You Support The Police?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know of some black men who have been unfairly targeted by police. And yes, it’s pretty much documented that down south, a lot of blacks got strung up by the KKK and other higher ups in government. Still, I don’t believe that those situations are the norm. I was stopped by a cop a couple of years ago and I said to myself what the hell did I do. He looked at me and waved me on because he said a vehicle like mine was spotted at a robbery. I guess it was because I was white that he stopped me.😐

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Watch the changein attitude when the cop realizes he is being recorded on video

There is no accountability for law enforcement except "internal affairs". (hahahaha -- what a joke!)

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

What does it mean to support the police anyway? I'm grateful for law enforcement and i respect the law. But that doesn't mean being an apologist for racist behavior.

Also all humans are biased. Acknowledging your biases doesn't make you a bad person. Racial bias in law enforcement has been demonstrated repeatedly. That doesn't make law enforcement evil or bad. However as a society we should work to overcome those biases to the best of our ability. Advocating for racial profiling is the opposite and ironically violates the law officers are supposed to uphold.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Generally speaking, yes, I support the police.

That have to keep law and order ... and pursue and detain violent, selfish criminals. They also have to deal extremely awkward people/situations.

In short, their job is very difficult on a regular basis.

The UK has a particular problem with policing, especially policing and local communities.

A couple of decades ago in 1993, there was a black guy called Stephen Lawrence who was killed by racist thugs. His killers were never properly brought to justice (or it took way too long to bring them to justice - sorry, can't remember), due to police incompetence, difficulty in producing the evidence, and possible and assumed racist bias.

The aftermath of this was The MacPherson Report (1999), which basically labelled the entire police force as 'institutionally racist.' This is total bullsh*t. There have always been a few bad apples in the police, certainly, but the whole Met police cannot be condemned as 'racist'. In fact, it's a form of bigotry to do such a thing.

The MacPherson Report has had considerable ramifications. Stop and Search (called 'stop and frisk' in the US) has largely been discontinued since 2010, on the grounds that it is somehow 'racist'. It has been kept for terrorist suspects only but discontinued for gangsters, drug dealers, etc.

Result: London's levels of violent crime and gun and knife incidences have increased.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I can only speak for policing in the United States; most cops are good and decent people who do their job well. There are over 750,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the United States. When you look at the number of "bad apples" in the barrel, you will see that it is a rather small number versus the whole.

The biggest issues we face in law enforcement in the United States is the decline applicants versus those leaving and a decline in funding for adequate training. Couple this with political pandering by law makers who keep passing legislation that figuratively handcuffs police from doing their jobs to appease a small number of loud mouths who demand reform, but offer no solutions, and we see a noble profession in decline.

Many of my co-workers are ready to quit and let the wolves have their run at the sheep farm.

I highly recommend asking your local agency to see if they have a ride-along program. Spend part of a shift with one of your local constabulary. See what it's like to to deal with drunks, spousal abusers, and general dyed in the wool criminals. Also, see how the average law abiding citizen is treated in a typical police encounter. It is an eye opening experience we all need.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If you've ever wondered, here is the kinda shit cops have to deal with ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7mDJDtW9Ig

The cop deals with the person he's speaking to in a very polite, proper way. He seems to be a decent guy - if I was a Yank, I'd be happy there are cops like him keeping me and my family safe.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Profiling is bad and lazy policework - no, it's not, not at all.

Profiling helps catch criminals.

Here's a quick example ...

A guy robs a jewellery store. Witnesses describe him as being of medium tall-ish height, medium build and ginger with a thick beard and curly hair.

So, the Police Dept. profile the suspect. They're looking for a guy who's approx. 5' 8 to 5' 10, medium build, with white, possibly pale skin, and a thick red beard (or heavy red 'shadow' if he's since shaved), and ginger hair. The police wouldn't be looking for black men or black women or Asian men or Asian women in this scenario, right?

Well, that's profiling, chum.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, I support the local police and athletes.

I am a police supporter and an athletic supporter.

Rub a Dub

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I used to pioneer with a friend who was black, worked as a mason, and had a used BMW 325.
    We (HE) would get stopped and harassed by the police with great regularity in our lilly white territory.

I think someone already mentioned this, but this type of profiling is not completely unreasonable. This type of bias is a result of previous observations. What do we see in the media about violent crime? To me almost every time the media reports about a serious crime (robbery, shooting, assault, stabbing, etc) is seems that a large percentage of the suspects are black (at least in my area). Time and time again, we see the same types of suspects in the same types of crimes, and this plays in people’s minds. Also, what are the most dangerous areas in our country? Is is where people from India live? Well no, as you already know.

If I’m walking down the street at 1am, and I see two Asian guys walking my way, there is no uneasy feeling. Why? Well because my experience has been that I don’t see many Asians committing robberies.

To illustrate this further, if you were on a plane, and you know there was a terrorist on board, who do you look at first? The 75 year old Japanese women two rows down? Or perhaps the middle eastern guy next to her? You know the answer, and again this bias is based on your observations.

We must feel sorry for anybody in the black community that is a decent person getting harassed by law enforcement, but the profiling that is at the source of this, is not fabricated out of nothing.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Yes, I support our police and even though there is a bad apple here and there, these situations are not the norm.

One of my nephews had a gun shoved in his face at a traffic stop in Florida. He is white. Maybe he was “profiled” because he had long hair.

However, I do believe profiling IS necessary..I’m sorry this means hurt feelings on the part of those of that group and they can write reams of paper protesting etc.. However, Israelis profile people and have it down to a science to make sure the wrong people don’t get on their planes..They’re not interested in anybody’s ‘hurt’ feelings and feelings of ‘unfairness’..That’s too bad!

PUNK OF NICE:

I don’t blame you for wanting to stick to Canada - which is more civilized and has cleaner streets. Unfortunately, we have a lot of problems here in the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit