Generally Speaking Do You Support The Police?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know bad cops exist in many cities. I know some cops who aren’t “bad” but do have an attitude. However, I prefer to have law and order as opposed to chaos. As a rule, I feel safer because of a police presence.

I think law enforcement should be respected!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Absolutely!

• cofty
    cofty

In general the British police are worthy of respect and support.

Civil societies have conceded a monopoly in violence to the state - Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. That has led to the lowest rates of murder in human history. The vast majority of murders in mature democracies happen among minorities who reject the authority of the state in favour of an honour-based, revenge-oriented culture.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i rarely see a policeman---or woman---walking their beat.. they seem to be car based these days

• minimus
    minimus

Does walking a police beat still exist??

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

dunno--but if they did i could find out what the right time is.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Sir Robert Peel is the father of modern policing or civilian policing. He gave the Nine Peelian Principles of Policing -

1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
    2. To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
    3. To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
    4. To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
    5. To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
    6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
    7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
    8. To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
    9. To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

I have been in law enforcement for over 20 years with the last 11 as a police officer. What I am seeing is that human society has ignored the 7th Principle - the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

Every member of a free society is responsible for policing. Most of society has excused itself from its duty by using the mentality "I pay taxes. It's not my job." However, society has also adopted a "Want my cake and eat it too" mentality, that is to say "It's not my job and I have no idea how to do the job, but I will determine how the job will be carried out."

No other profession in human society is Monday morning quarterbacked like law enforcement ("policing").

A little over 1,000 people are killed annually in the U.S. by law enforcement. Killed. Not Murdered. Justified homicide.

Conversely over 250,000 people are killed annually in the U.S. by medical malpractice. When was the last time the news media crucified doctors for this?

Is there a problem with police culture? Oh yes! Trust me. I about ruined myself over that non-sense.

I plan being an advocate of police reform. This includes educational programs for the general public and law makers on what really goes on in the streets as well as removing the toxic culture that has infiltrated policing.

• LV101
    LV101

Definitely!

• minimus
    minimus

Truth, great post

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Of course!!!!
    That doesnt mean that blacks dont get horrible treatment. I have seen it with my own eyes many times.

I am white - my experience is polar opposite that blacks have.

I used to pioneer with a friend who was black, worked as a mason, and had a used BMW 325.

We (HE) would get stopped and harassed by the police with great regularity in our lilly white territory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit