Newbie Introduction-or-How to De-Program Yourself in 6,456,129 Easy Steps

by 2escaped lifers 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Well, I said I wouldn't write a novel,

Write the novel for crying out loud, the suspense is killing me. In all seriousness, welcome and hope to hear a lot more from you in the future. Now I suppose I'm going to be compelled to follow my own advice and write my own novel. Bug

• Yesterdays Child
  • rocketman
    rocketman

There is no honorable way out of the JWs.

So true dmouse - a person can't just up and say, 'you know, we've looked at this religion in just the way the WTS encourages us to look at all religions, and we've found that it does not ring true for us'. Nope, you're judged as "weak" or, "apostate" for simply using your brain.

Welcome Brandon and Stephanie! We look forward to hearing more from you soon!!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Welcome, Brandon and Stephanie! Great story!

Yes, thinking is indeed a dangerous thing among the dubs. Sometimes my wife or I would ask a question and get a response like "Just trust what the WTS says... you don't think you're smarter than those spiritual men at Bethel, do you?"

Here are some of my favorite quotes in the WTS pubs regarding "thinking" for yourself:

w83 1/15 p. 27 Armed for the Fight Against Wicked Spirits ***

there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: "This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe." This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

w89 9/15 p. 23 Be Obedient to Those Taking the Lead ***

independent thinking does not prevail in God’s organization, and we have sound reasons for confidence in the men taking the lead among us.

w67 6/1 p. 338 Move Ahead with Jehovah’s Organization ***

in Jehovah’s organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing

*** w83 1/15 p. 22 Exposing the Devil’s Subtle Designs ***

How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God’s visible organization.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Welcome to all the newbies!

feel free to PM or email me for any reason....here is my bio:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/49422/1.ashx

part of my personal recovery is being available to other people. I hope you will be comforted and stay with us--there are so many wonderful real people here.

Ravyn

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Excellent post - well done. Make it longer next time, I certainly don't mind.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Welcome Brandon and Stephanie.

drwtsn32’s quotes from the WT really sums things up, doesn’t it?

When I started to Q things from the WTS, I got similar ‘reasoning;

“Do you think that you are smarter than Elder ‘so & so’? Do you think that you are smarter than the brothers at Bethel?”

Maybe, maybe not. But I do posses something that they apparently lack:

A spine.

And I don’t think that I have properly welcomed the other n00bs here:

MonkeyPrincess, thebeliever, John Barleycorn

Man, I’m starting to feel like an old timer with all the n00bs here.

Winston.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Welcome to the board Brandon and Stephanie!!!

(((hugs)))

BW

• Garnet
    Garnet

Just wanted to say WELCOME!

Garnet

I would have a smiley face, but they aren't working today :(

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Welcome, Brandon & Stephanie Bartlett!!! Aren't these people wonderful here? I'm kinda new here too, Brandon & Stephanie....and I just love this whole crowd of kind, caring, intelligent and fun-loving people on this forum....Yall's post title and content is GREAT! VERY interesting.....can't wait to see the "sequel"...

Frannie B (of the Gellin' the Gnu-Whirled Translation Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit