Honest Questions About Child Abuse

by Richard Oliver 207 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

2 child abusers per large congregation known by the elders is not far fetched. Even when it is only 1, remember he will do a lot of damage to a lot of kids. Just imagine one of them is yours. And you will never be informed to protect Jehovah's name. That is what's going on, all the time

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Without lawsuits that hit the pocket books of organized religious corporations, and the negative publicity, how do you propose bringing about the changes that are needed? Obviously, laws and principles are not working.

DD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Outlaw. Do u really think that I believe that the lawsuits will just dry up because some new laws are passed.....RO

No..But.....You`d like them to.....

(Have you figured out what a "strawman argument" is yet?)

My point is that we as a society of people should work with legislatures to pass laws to protect children.

No..

Your point is to take the focus off,the WatchTower Protecting JW Pedophiles..

Like your doing right here..

Also u think that the lawyers who are fighting for these children are all saints. Some lawyers just want to make the buck and don't care what happens to their clients in the long run.

Watchtower protecting Pedophiles,is the lawyers fault?..LOL!!..

You forgot the Catholics!..

No WBT$/JW Pedophile Argument is complete,until you Blame the Catholics..

How about if the lawyer,is a GawdDamn Catholic?!..

None of you WBT$/JW Apologists come up with anything original..

You`re all WatchTower Parrots..

Pretty WatchTower....Pretty WatchTower..

Don`t Blame The WatchTower!..

BRRAAAAAAAK!!..

Image result for Parrot

• Incognito
    Incognito
    that if something is impral or disgusting then it is there full unlawful.

Impral???

Something you might consider 'disgusting', does not necessarily make it unlawful.

Child abuse is not only disgusting, it is illegal in most parts of the world.

Your original topic was in regards WT's responsibilities when an accusation is made, particularly when a person with no prior history is accused. You also mentioned pushing for additional mandatory reporting laws.

As you're receiving responses that are not supportive to WT, you then derailed the discussion by including age of consent and disgusting practice issues among others, even though those matters have nothing to do with the original topic.

If WT was truly interested in protection of children, they would not need to be forced to report abuses through laws with 'teeth', but would be demonstrating leadership in effectively dealing with this matter. Instead, they oppose even any suggestion of changing how matters are handled as was clearly demonstrated during Geoffrey Jackson's testimony at the ARC.

I don't agree with the idea that Watchtower should be sued to oblivion but that is my personal opinion.

So, what is your opinion when the Catholic Church is sued for similar behavior?

I don't agree that suing after-the-fact is better than preventing incidents or reducing further damage to children when an incident first occurs. Unfortunately, WT has not acted in other's interests and has made bad situations far worse than they needed to be. Often, the only penalty that maybe realistically imposed, is monetary.

While they can't change what has already occurred, WT can act to prevent further ongoing incidents but sadly, unwilling to do so. Their stubbornness and arrogance is to not only to their determent, but also damages future generations of children yet to be abused, although preventable.

Even as WT claim to JWs that they have no clergy, they then claim clergy privilege while in court.

WT cannot reasonably claim this privilege as matters discussed between an elder and congregant, are often reveled to other elders, the CO and possibly various persons at WT. This is in contrast to a parishioner privately discussing a matter with a priest as that discussion is to remain confidential between the two participants.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Richard: My point is that it is a complete issue that requires actual steps and not just expecting lawsuits to solve the problem.

Go to page 61 of this document and read it.

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/getattachment/c2d1f1f5-a1f2-4241-82fb-978d072734bd/Report-of-Case-Study-No-29

It isn't just your point, it is the point of the Royal Commission that the problems with the Watchtower Society's religion (the JWs) are larger and more far reaching than just the lack of reporting to authorities.

The areas within the organization that need to be addressed are numerous.

When it comes to addressing the child abuse within the JWs, the problem requires an internal change - the policies and doctrines within the organization are what fosters an environment for child abuse.

I know you would like us to keep looking outside of the organization that you are defending, Richard...but...that isn't going to work. That is a Watchtower tactic and we, along with people like those who are involved with the ARC, aren't buying it. We know that the problems are internal. And so does the Royal Commission.

Of course lawsuits aren't going to solve the problem. The lawsuits are meant as redemption for the victims. The lawsuits are meant to solve their problems - the victims' problems. The lawsuits' purpose is not to make the Watchtower change. The purpose is to make the WT accountable and to make them pay. They OWE the victims. The lawsuits are to ensure that that debt is paid.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

The Watchtower is not guilty of the child abuse itself, it is guilty of knowingly giving child abusers access to children, and for withholding important information from parents that enables them to protect their children. For that they have to pay damages and change their ways of working.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    OrphanCrow - "...When it comes to addressing the child abuse within the JWs, the problem requires an internal change - the policies and doctrines within the organization are what fosters an environment for child abuse..."

Unfortunately, however, said internal change - from the WTS's perspective - simply cannot happen...

...for a handful of reasons, all of which threaten (to varying degrees) the Org's self-perception, authority over the membership, and ability to function - and therefore - survive.

This is the root of the WTS's inability/unwillingness to fix the problem.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Thank you everyone. I been looking at this site for a while. Though I will never go back to meetings. I know that I can't be apart of these X-JW communities because it doesn't seem like anyone apart of these communities can move on. I think this just proves that for my own mental health I need to just move on with my life.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    richard: I know that I can't be apart of these X-JW communities because it doesn't seem like anyone apart of these communities can move on.

Lol!!!!

And this is why I keep coming back. For my daily laugh.

:)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I know that I can't be apart of these X-JW communities because it doesn't seem like anyone apart of these communities can move on.....RO

"Why can`t ex-JW`s leave the WBT$ and just move on?"..

The thread is complete..

Watchtower isn`t the problem,ex-JW`s are..

The sermon is over

Would anyone like to say a prayer?

Image result for Anyone anyone bueller

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit