It's a shame isn't it?

by freddo 77 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

Looks like this thread has resorted to a penis measuring contest between Simon and Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Simon says-

" See how I posted an explanation showing the weakness of your claim " ? That's what winning an argument by using reason looks like. "

Not necessarily. If the explanation is unreasonable it doesn't prove anything. And you haven't won anything if the core of your argument makes no sense. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Hoser!

Should there be an umpire?

• hoser
    hoser

Just calling a spade a spade

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

One thing they stress when you play poker is not to discuss religion or politics but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Both are discussed here because one it a forum about religion and two people want to talk politics and here is one place they can do it amongst people that they have something in common, we were all victims of a cult.

So duscuss away but be respectful of ones opinions! It’s ok to have ones different then other here. I for one hate politics and politicians, people like Trump and Hillary are egotistical idiots!!!

• hoser
    hoser

As a practicing ex jw I find free political discourse on this forum refreshing. Where else can I or other exiting jws have an outlet to state our political ideas and views. The watchtower pretty much shuts us down on independent thought.

• Simon
    Simon
    Not necessarily. If the explanation is unreasonable it doesn't prove anything. And you haven't won anything if the core of your argument makes no sense.

Let me try summarize where we are and in the hopes that you might understand it I'll make it simple:

You claim people post "bad"

I said "link to example"

You claim "me post youtubes!"

I said "that's not example"

You now claim "doesn't prove anything"

Do you actually understand the concept of evidence, of proving something? You are claiming something and to prove it, all you have to do is post a link to an example. But you are determined to no understand this concept and instead throw another claim on, that I'm somehow being unreasonable?

I'm not going to play flipper's game of silly resentment all day. You've been given a chance to back up your claim, so far you haven't and are now getting nito your typical pattern of trying to obfuscate things before you storm of claiming life is unfair.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Political debates are always more tedious because it is assumed that the elected president represents everyone within a political party. I know many conservatives that think Trump is a goon and liberals that despise Hillary. Those types are often the most effective in arguing their views.

That said it is also natural to rally behind the elected president. Some from opposing parties also want to see the president succeed. If it’s good for the country why oppose it?

• Simon
    Simon
    As a practicing ex jw I find free political discourse on this forum refreshing. Where else can I or other exiting jws have an outlet to state our political ideas and views. The watchtower pretty much shuts us down on independent thought.

Exactly. It's important that people not just learn that debate and disagreement is OK but also learn how to do it. Making assertions without any evidence is not the way it works if you want to be taken seriously. Sadly, that's what many of us learnt to do in the WTS. "God is real", "how do you know?", "god said so - look here !". In the real-world this kind of empty rhetoric and insistence can and should be given short shrift.

Hopefully, those doing it eventually learn how to debate so they are capable of taking part in a discussion without making themselves look silly.

• hoser
    hoser

The best day in my life was the day that I realized that someone else’s view or belief might be correct and my beliefs might just be wrong.

That is why I come to this site

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit