Message from Designer Stubble to the former JWR members

by Designer Stubble 123 Replies latest jw friends

• fugue
    fugue

I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but if no one has offered already, I would like to offer to buy the jwr database, software license, and domain name. I'm a web developer and know all of the ins and outs of the technical end, plus I've got access to server space that could handle the traffic.

If anyone is in touch with Rifter and he's willing to sell it, please give him my email address (PM me here for it.)

What I would need would be moderating help and monetary help; I couldn't do either on my own. I've already reached out to one of my jwr friends offline and he said that he would be willing to help me.

All of the details could be worked out if the site owner is willing to sell.

My reason for offering this is: JWR was bigger than any individuals. It was a lifeline for countless people to get out of the cult and retain their sanity and dignity, even while losing their family, friends and identity.

I, too, have gotten to a point where I am feeling almost like an ex-ex-jw. But for 5 years and counting, I've felt an attachment to that community and I'd like to keep it alive.

Anyone who can put me in touch with Rifter, pm me please. Thanks.

• fugue
    fugue

And just to be clear: I'm not interested in forum drama or assigning blame or making myself look good or anything of that nature. I hadn't even been posting much on JWR lately and even if I helped get it back online I'd probably still not be as active as I once was. I just feel that jw's who are stuck in and want out need as many resources as we can provide.

• Worldling9
    Worldling9

Fugue, you're right. JWR was the best site for people who needed help getting out. I really hope you can make this happen.

Hugs,

wl9

• Zeus
    Zeus

Hey Fugue, nice to see you here. You aren't the first person to offer to take the db and restart the site, it was offered by some of the other admins and mods but Rifter did not want the site to continue based off the old db.

thehotone4u2, frankly I don't answer to you or anyone else on any forum. Whether I was leaving or staying on JWR I agreed with Rifter that the site was well past its peak and had stagnated.

The childish attitude of "maybe he has been reinstated" or "getting a divorce?" are classic examples of the kind of retrograde horseshit that was prevalent on JWR and the way admins and mods were treated.

Signing off, grateful to those who used JWR to become healthy people.

• alicious
    alicious

To DS, MM, Zeus, etc - thank you for all of you're hard work!

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but it truly feels like we all got disfellowshipped and never had the chance to write our own letters of disassociation. We all came to Jwr to get closure from our jw past only to be shut out from the only people who understand what we've all gone through.

@fugue - I would gladly help moderate. I may not post much, but I care deeply about the community and would gladly participate in bringing it back.

MissFit

• fugue
    fugue

Zeus, I hate to hear that you guys already offered to take it over he's not willing to at least sell the database.

It was his property and he has a right to do what he wants with it, but there is so much of me in the 4,000 or however many posts I'd made there over the last five years. From time to time I liked to just look at my older posts just to see how far I'd come. I hardly recognize the nervous person who sheepishly wrote my introductory post in 2011. JWR was like a blog of my personal journey out.

And I'd bet there are countless other people who feel the same way. Like your photo albums from a huge and difficult part of your life just vanished.

If he won't sell, he won't sell. But my offer is open. I wouldn't need him to write up instructions on how to import the data or set up the software, I already know. I'd just need a dump of the tables and authorization to initiate the domain transfer so that search engines, links and bookmarks, etc wouldn't all become broken.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

One of the first things I thought when I got wind of the plug being pulled:

"Oh shit! Fugue's posts!"

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    OneGen - One of the first things I thought when I got wind of the plug being pulled:
    "Oh shit! Fugue's posts!"

I thought exactly the same thing!

• 2badsosad
    2badsosad

If there's any change on the stance of reopening and starting up a new instance of the JWR database I'd be willing to help from a mod/monetary standpoint fugue.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

Not willing to sell the database sounds pretty odd to me. If he's concerned about his posts and those of his partner becoming available again, it ought to be possible to wipe those.

Of course it's not possible to know what's going on in someone's personal life unless they discuss it - sometimes one big change brings others with it.

Although there were many frivolous posts on there, there was also a vast storehouse of knowledge and history too. Not releasing that feels like the modern equivalent of book burning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit