Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm sure this man's partner found him attractive, she had a baby with him. It's in the eye of the beholder.

• cofty
    cofty

Xant - Were you really suggesting that anybody in the history of humankind it has ever been thought 'unmanly' for a father to hold his child?

• minimus
    minimus

X, you know a manly man when you see him . Those guys from In Living Color don’t pass the test.😎

• minimus
    minimus

It’s just so silly that men or women have to define what it means to be manly or feminine.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Cofty that's not very grammatical could you clarify please.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t know where this is all headed.

On a basic level I agree with gender and sexual equality. But at the same time I do wonder if society can function if it hollows out the distinct roles of men and women? I’m not so sure. It’s a very strange world we seem to be heading into, in lots of ways.

It could be it’s a problem without a solution. If we are committed to equality and we also want healthy functioning societies. It could be these goals are incompatible, unfortunately. Then what do we do?

• cofty
    cofty

Xant - Were you really suggesting that any man has ever — in the history of humankind — been considered 'unmanly' for holding his child?

I'm cooking, yes that is also 'manly'.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    X, you know a manly man when you see him

Min, my late husband used to write songs and poetry. He hated sport and loved reading, particularly about science. Is that unmanly to you? It's different things to different people. I really don't know what your definition is, because it's in your own head.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes Cofty, in ancient societies eg ancient Greece looking after small children was the province of women, mothers, aunts and wet nurses. Fathers rarely went near them until it was time to teach boys to handle weapons.

• em1913
    em1913

I once knew an ultraflamboyant drag queen (you meet a far better class of friends once you get out of the WTS) who I'd call very "manly," if manly means having an unshakable confidence in who you are and the courage to be that person regardless of what those who live their lives in terrified quivering conformity to what they believe their "proper role" to be think they're entitled to say about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit