I understand your separating yourselves from the Org...BUT~

by Revealed 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

JoenB75

Yes the Bible does start with the words "In the beginning" the next bit of that sentence tells you what happened in the beginning.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Anna Marina,

Yes. It is interesting that the creation record does not mention angels. Also there seems to be some aftermath upon chaosbattle going on. There was creation before. Genesis 1 concerns with what the ancestors of ancient Israel could see with their eyes.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    You can put any date you want on Adam's creation but all else in the chain must reflect whatever date you put on Adam's creation. So the date is of secondary importance to the actual passage of time.

Luke Chapter 3 shows there are 76 generations from Adam to Jesus. According to the Bible, Adam lived to be 913 years old. If every persons from Adam to Jesus lives to be 913 it would mean 68,475 years would have passed from when YHWY created Adam to Mary giving birth to Jesus.

So, where did all the humans living for the some 76,000 years prior to Adam's creation come from?

That is why dates matter. That is why Adam could not be the first human.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

There is an so called old earth creationist called Hugh Ross who apparently rejects evolution. He says

"The most likely biblical date for the creation of Adam and Eve, therefore, would lie between 55,000 and 120,000 years ago. However, the date could be stretched as far back as 230,000 years ago".

https://reasons.org/explore/blogs/todays-new-reason-to-believe/when-did-god-create-adam-and-eve

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

JoenB75 - Creation before beginning? You say there seems to be some aftermath upon chaosbattle going on. I've never come across chaosbattle in the Bible. But you say this was before the beginning of Creation. Who told you this? How do they know? Where did they get their information from?

And how could they see with their eyes that God's spirit was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters? And how did they know that God spoke and things were created? But when it came to man he formed him out of the dust of the earth? Then he blew life into him. Why didn't He just say "let man come to be".

TBK -

Adam lived for 130 years then he became father to Seth. After fathering Seth Adam lived on for 800 years.

800 + 130 = 930. Not 913.

Compare Gen 5:3

And Seth only lived for 912 years.

Arpachshad only lived for 438.

The ages continued to diminish (Gen 6:3) until you get to 70/80 years of age as a general rule but some can live longer - which is what we have today. (Psalm 90:10)

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

JoenB75 - Hugh Ross is making it up.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Anna Marina,

Like "all things", there is a context to "the beginning" of Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1. It is the beginning of the story of Israel, God's dealings with mankind.

Where do we get our information from. It is simple. As I said, the mere fact that the creation of angels are not mentioned should be a wake up call to the modern "Evangelical" tale. Secondly, the Hebrew text itself speaks of chaos "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep". It also speaks of rudely unscientific stuff like a sea up in the heavens.

Hugh Ross places Adam's creation between 55,000 and 230,000 years ago, it seems reasonable and probably the most scientific bet out there but it is based on the premise that Genesis 1 is history in the modern sense. I dont think it is.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    The ages continued to diminish (Gen 6:3) until you get to 70/80 years of age as a general rule but some can live longer - which is what we have today. (Psalm 90:10)

Exactly. Which means humans were walking the Earth for more than 75,000 years before Adam was allegedly created.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

JoenB75 - you said chaosbattle.

If you think Hugh Ross' figures seem reasonable, then that's what you think.

TBK - allegedly walking before the creation of Adam.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Anna Marina,

"Hugh Ross places Adam's creation between 55,000 and 230,000 years ago, it seems reasonable and probably the most scientific bet out there but it is based on the premise that Genesis 1 is history in the modern sense. I dont think it is."

I think chaosbattle. I also notice the - if taken literally - ridiculous decree that green plants will serve as food to all animals on land and in the air BUT NOT sea. Sea was chaos to the ancient Israel. God creates out of chaos. It is not difficult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit