I understand your separating yourselves from the Org...BUT~

by Revealed 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Revealed
    Revealed

I simply don't understand, TBK. I have too- with drastically different results!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Here's a short list of what I found -

• The creation account of Genesis is allegorical and is partially plagiarized from the Sumerian tale of Gilgamesh.
    • The flood account of Genesis is scientifically impossible and appears plagiarized from the Sumerian tale of Gilgamesh.
    • We today can trace the origin of languages. There was no Tower of Babel language creating event.
    • The is no evidence that Moses ever lived.
    • The historical Israel appears to be a Canaanite tribe that was repeatedly conquered by world powers. Fearing that their culture would disappear as was common of conquered/occupied people, this particular tribe created a mythology in which they are a special people, chosen by a monotheistic god, that would one day be freed from captivity and rule over all other nations. The religion created by these Canaanites borrowed from Zoroastrian beliefs as the Persians were the current conquerors. The god created(YHWH) is an angry, jealous, bloodthirsty persona who approves of whole sale slaughter of people to occupy their land, unless those people use iron chariots (YHWY cannot defeat iron chariots).
    • There is no evidence of a person named "Jesus". 2,000 years ago there was no town or city of Nazareth. That area was a wilderness that possibly had a few farms. No one during that time would be referred to as a "Nazarene".
    • There is no evidence that this Jesus was executed by the Romans, was buried, and then was resurrected 3 days later.

I do believe there was an enlightened individual in Israel 2,000 years ago who had new teachings. I believe that a mythos was created around this person and that a religion rose from that mythos.

I agree with the Buddhist Sutra -

Do not believe in anything (simply) because you have heard it ; Do not believe in traditions, because they been handed down for many generations ; Do not believe in anything, because it is spoken and rumored by many ; Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books ; But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
  • Revealed
    Revealed
    • The creation account of Genesis is allegorical and is partially plagiarized from the Sumerian tale of Gilgamesh.
    • The flood account of Genesis is scientifically impossible and appears plagiarized from the Sumerian tale of Gilgamesh.

The account is the ONLY ONE that agrees with science, and I'm surprised you have given credence to Gilgamesh, a story probably dreamed up by Nimrod- unless, of course, you don't believe he existed...

• We today can trace the origin of languages. There was no Tower of Babel language creating event.

Really? Did language magically happen as people started to spread abroad? Or do you believe that apes developed it in different places on their own?

• The is no evidence that Moses ever lived.

SURE THERE IS! The Egyptian media was all over it!

• The historical Israel appears to be a Canaanite tribe that was repeatedly conquered by world powers. Fearing that their culture would disappear as was common of conquered/occupied people, this particular tribe created a mythology in which they are a special people, chosen by a monotheistic god, that would one day be freed from captivity and rule over all other nations. The religion created by these Canaanites borrowed from Zoroastrian beliefs as the Persians were the current conquerors. The god created(YHWH) is an angry, jealous, bloodthirsty persona who approves of whole sale slaughter of people to occupy their land, unless those people use iron chariots (YHWY cannot defeat iron chariots).

It "appears" you had other reasons for doubting, VERY little is know for certain about that time- even LESS before that.

• There is no evidence of a person named "Jesus". 2,000 years ago there was no town or city of Nazareth. That area was a wilderness that possibly had a few farms. No one during that time would be referred to as a "Nazarene".
    • There is no evidence that this Jesus was executed by the Romans, was buried, and then was resurrected 3 days later.

That just isn't true- and I believe it would be a waste of my time to look up the sources, you 'know' it all anyways.

But thanks for answering!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I prescribe to the philosophy of the Beginner's Mind - I know nothing. It is rare for anyone to know something. As I experience things I accept what I learn. I do no cling to beliefs.

• Revealed
    Revealed

Some beliefs are WORTH clinging to!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina
    there is no evidence of a person named "Jesus"

Suggest you check today's date.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

In China it is Tenth Month 3, 2021 (xin-chou), year of the Ox.

In Israel it is 3 Kislev 5782.

In Iran is 30 Rabi ul Awal 1443.

In Japan it is Rewai 3, year of the Cow.

In the U.S. we use the Gregorian calendar, adopted by the Roman Empire in October of 1582 CE.

If you are implying that Jesus did exist because the Roman Empire made a calendar that alleges to be based on the birth of Jesus...not evidence.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

In your opinion but the letters after the year are AD. So whatever you view it does not make you right.

Besides Epoch time which is probably on your computer is counted as the year turns from Dec to Jan. It counts in seconds from midnight 1/1/1970 - and that's the Gregorian Calendar.

Why is it 5782 in in Israel? It is telling you how long ago they think it is since Adam was created. Also, they are on the lunar calendar, which is why the Gregorian date of the Passover changes every year. Gregorian is a solar calendar, but Nisan 14 when Jesus died is a month and day from the Jewish lunar calendar.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I agree with the short list stated by truth_b_known since it is what I have also found as a result of extensive research, though I have also found scholars stating the opposite regarding some of those claims. For example, see the book called Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All by David Fitzgerald, an an atheist activist and a historical researcher.

Revealed, our species of humans (Homo sapiens) has existed for well more than 100,000 years according to modern-day anthropologists (see https://www.newscientist.com/article/2133807-our-species-may-be-150000-years-older-than-we-thought/ ) and multiple human languages likely existed before the year 4026 B.C.E.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Got anything other that prof so-and-so's say so? Believe him cause he/she is like GB and knows better than you and me?

How much does David Fitzgerald charge for his book? And the subscription to New Scientist? I am surprised they can't give it away free given the money they must be making advertising gadgets, jobs, market research services, fine wines and airlines.

Ever wondered how academics get their positions? Just sayin'.

I know there are cognitive processes which replace God with a big number. But what if you take the big number out? And whether that big number is in or out, how do you end up at a year of a cow? What number is Cow?

Oh it is an era. Looks like the Japanese era names started in 140 BCE (Julian Calendar) during the reign of Emperor Wu of Han. So this year is the year of the Vaccine. Cause the word vaccine comes from the word 'cow'. La vache.

The use of era names was originally derived from Chinese imperial practice. And although the Japanese use era names they use the Gregorian calendar.

So - so far we have Gregorian Calendar which by its very nature recognises Jesus Christ and the Jewish calendar which by its very nature recognises the creation of Adam. Then there's Iran. Anyone really want to go there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit