JW message becoming more and more relevant

by lsw1961 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    If we came from apes then why are there still apes??? - johnamos

I asked my teacher that question when I was an 8 year old JW. My mummy thought I was very clever.

I know a bit more now than when I was 8.

Pity same can't be said for you.

My mum still thinks its a clever question.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Cofty, no offense intended to you or anyone. I just noticed that isw1961 joined the forum 10 days ago and didn't want him to get discouraged from posting his views. Not everyone has thick skin. A lot of people are sensitive and it takes courage for them to share their beliefs; even on an internet forum.

• johnamos
    johnamos

First, not directed to you.

Second, the least you could have done was answered the questions.

Why have the co-called missing links died off???

Why are there still apes…why haven’t they turned into the missing link???

Shouldn't there currently be so-called missing links in the amounts that there are apes currently and shouldn’t what has died off be the apes and we would be wondering what humans were like prior to the so-called missing link (apes) instead of wondering what humans were after apes???
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Also, I agree with the title of his thread. However, regarding evolution, creation, etc., Either I don't have enough knowledge or I'm not smart enough to know what the truth is. I don't have firm convictions in those areas. I like to read what other people believe.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

JW message becoming more and more relevant

Obviously not. Religion is becoming less and less relevant in peoples' daily lives. 'Love thy neighbour' is nice, but JW doctrine is complete crap. Just about every one of the doctrines unique to JW-ism has either not come true or is unsupported by evidence and therefore unsustainable.

If only people were better at keeping their religious belief at home and at church/mosque/other, then we would have far fewer problems.

• Alive!
    Alive!

ISW1961

As someone else said here, one can't help but respect an individual's courage in speaking out when they feel deeply motivated.

I was a deeply dedicated JW who converted. Many times I'd take that lonely stance for Jehovah's sake - speaking amongst family, at work - street witnessing in shopping areas, in parks to get 'my time in'. I know how it feels to want to make a stand for my perception of God.

My close internal relationship with my Heavenly Father caused me to question 'men'.

Men.... Their motives, their honesty and their way of 'love'.

Be careful. God can make the very stones cry out. It is one thing to teach that there is a wonderful hope for ALL creation. It's another thing to force ERROR down people's throats, giving them no choice - as in 'you either believe this and have Gods approval or you dont have his approval' - it wrecks havoc with the conscience and integrity of people who have prayed in gratitude for this organised Watchtower org programme of teaching re a prophecy, 'supplementary teachings' etc - only to find its not true. Proved wrong.

Apparently false teachers would be prevalent in this age - I'm reading this from the word of God and taking it seriously.

I noted you said the 'the JW' message - not Jesus's message. Are JWs a division? A sect? They have rudely denounced the sincere faith of other Christians who do not subscribe to their wacky 'supplementary' rules and non scriptural teachings/ regulations.

The JW track record of wacky prophetic announcements are not attractive. Many christians would read the word of God and think, NO - God is not among this people - he wouldnt allow such disturbing misleadings.

Personally, I hold Our Father in higher esteem than that.

• cofty
    cofty
    First, not directed to you.

It's a discussion forum. It's open house.

Second, the least you could have done was answered the questions.

You could find the answer in 5 minutes with a few clicks. Lots of people have answered it lots of times..

Why have the co-called missing links died off???

It's exactly the same as looking through a family tree. Some branches thrive for a while and then suddenly disappear.

Why are there still apes…why haven’t they turned into the missing link???

Apes are not a step on the road to being human. I think you are stuck with the Victorian picture of evolution being like a ladder with white men at the top. Apes are the epitome of what it is to be an ape. Same goes for every other species. When environment changes some species are well suited to thrive others vanish. The ancestors of all mammals probably have to thank the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs for our chance to crawl out the undergrowth.

Shouldn't there currently be so-called missing links in the amounts that there are apes currently and shouldn’t what has died off be the apes and we would be wondering what humans were like prior to the so-called missing link (apes) instead of wondering what humans were after apes???

No for the reasons I gave above.

You are suffering from Platonic essentialism. There are no "missing links".

May I suggest some books...

"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll

"The making of the fittest" by Sean B Carroll

"Evolution, what the fossils say" by Donald Prothero

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins

"The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins

"Why Evolution is true" by Jerry Coyne

"Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin

"Life Ascending" by Nick Lane

For starters take an hour or so to read the Common Ancestry thread.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    I like to read what other people believe.

I suggest The Blind Watchmaker and The Selfish Gene if you're looking for some informative books on the subject of evolution and would like to know the science and facts involved.

People that have researched evolution don't "believe" in it. They just have examined the evidence and realize the fact of the matter.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Outlaw I've missed you!
  • freemindfade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit