What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

looter, calm down and think before you post. On this page alone you've told the unbeliever he will "feel [God's] wrath" and get "what he deserves".

Are you surprised that folks aren't taking you seriously? Instead of throwing threats at us try to convince us that the Lord really is a God of love.

Over to you.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Me too but I was talking about in the context of the problem of evil. Evil still have no known explanation even in an atheistic scenario.

There is no problem of evil if you take god out of the picture.

What more can I say to a person who judges others by their appearance and clothing?

You mean exactly like your god said to do?

You're lucky you are not my son, DJS, because you can use some discipline right about now.

STFU.

I'm a minor and I don't appreciate someone trying to make me out to be some old fart.

You are very minor. In every way possible. Are you hip to that jazz? Are you groovy? Are you down with OPP? You're not a square, are you?

As an adolescent, I feel that I have acquired more knowledge than you in my young life because I actually believe that the true God has made all of us.

Every moron teenager (which you aren't, so stop pretending) thinks they are a genius. I would say welcome to the idiot club for teens, except you aren't a teen.

How dare you mock God, Viviane!

Your god can sniff my farts. He's that impotent. I dare him to do anything.

I specifically suggest that you stop hating God and then maybe you'd be more happier but that is just my suggestion.

I specifically suggest you stop telling people what to do and pretending you know anything about anything, old man. Again, I dare your god. Let's see what happens.

You welcome.

You misspelled "awesome". And "you're", but I'll let that one slide

• azor
    azor

Looter. When my 5 year old son was in the hospital with complications of chemo treatment for leukemia and as I jolted out of a slumber at 1AM to very young children screaming in pain literally woke me up to the ridiculousness of a god, much less a loving one.

Over 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year. Many in horrific pain. What do you have to say about the billion plus Hindus that happened to be born into a polytheistic family and culture.

Theism is truly a disgusting and reprehensible belief system.

• DJS
    DJS

Looter, Looter, Looter. What are we going to do with you? You're acting like a Grumpy Old Man.

Oh, wait . . . . .

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    There is no problem of evil if you take god out of the picture.

There is no problem?

Or no evil?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    What do you have to say about the billion plus Hindus that happened to be born into a polytheistic family and culture.

God by definition is an omniscient Judge.

Purgatory solves this problem. Indeed almost every Catholic thinks they will spend a lot of time in Purgatory.

But Purgatory is temporary and all the souls there are already saved. There's only one way out in Purgatory: Heaven.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    When my 5 year old son was in the hospital with complications of chemo treatment for leukemia and as I jolted out of a slumber at 1AM to very young children screaming in pain literally woke me up to the ridiculousness of a god, much less a loving one.
    Over 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year.

I'm sorry for your son. I hope everything's s fine by now.

This situation is what we have been discussing here. The problem of natural evil to innocent people.

Usually the very victims of this evil have hope and faith in God and they keep this position throughout the agony.

But to outside observers two positions can take place.

One is the position of faith in God. And the other is the position that God can't exist if such evil exists.

Trying to be out of this equation and become the hypothetical neutral observer I find these two outcomes very intriguing.

I cannot say that one position is dishonest and the other is true. I think both positions are very sincere. So why an event can produce such extreme positions? I don't have an answer for that.

All I know is that I believe life has no end and all suffering we endure will be transformed in eternal bliss. This is the only way I find to give some meaning to suffering.

In JWism there's only one reason for why Jesus was executed. They take the Ransom view and give it a status of dogma.

But to Catholicism the Crucifixion of Christ is a complete mystery. There is only views that try to explain it. The first Christians tried very hard to make sense why the Messiah was executed in a horrendous and humiliating way.

Christ as a mortal man needed to die. But he could died by natural causes and not be executed as an innocent.

One of the views that I accept is the Model view. God thought for sake of Infinite Justice He Itself needed to face human suffering. So he set a model that the problem of evil is so mysterious that even God Itself had to experience it.

IMHO the problem if evil must have something related to Infinite Justice. And the Cross of Christ is the needle that seam the entire history of suffering.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    There is no problem?
    Or no evil?

The one I said.

God by definition is an omniscient Judge.
    Purgatory solves this problem.

Your god is an asshole. "Hey, I am going to punish you for being born into the wrong family." Purgatory doesn't "solve a problem", it just shows what a jerk of a god you guys made up.

But to outside observers two positions can take place.
    One is the position of faith in God. And the other is the position that God can't exist if such evil exists.

False dichotomy alert!

You're forgetting the option of "your god is just an asshole".

God thought for sake of Infinite Justice He Itself needed to face human suffering. So he set a model that the problem of evil is so mysterious that even God Itself had to experience it.

Wait, god didn't know something? You just wrote he was omniscient. Do you actually know what omniscient means?

• azor
    azor

John Mann life is more meaningful and precious now that I'm almost certain there is no afterlife. Are you catholic? You went from a modern day abusive cult to one of the originals that is responsible for hundreds of thousands of child abuse victims and millions dying too young in Africa due to the condom use ban.

See this is what a theist morality gets you. A human sacrifice cult that thinks it's merciful that a billion people go to purgatory just because they were born on the wrong continent. And you theists wonder why you are derided here and ever more so in the public square.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    False dichotomy alert!

True.

There's also the possibility of God is evil and the possibility of Deism. And maybe more.

The evil God possibility is dreadful. What could we do in such scenario? Just deny His existence would not be a solution.

But usually the common positions are the dichotomy I mentioned.

Wait, god didn't know something? You just wrote he was omniscient. Do you actually know what omniscient means?

We speak in a colloquial mode when we say God thinks, decides, etc...

God possess omniscience and omnipotence.

This implies that He can decide what to known.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit