What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    If we didn't have moving tectonic plates we wouldn't be here according to a popular hypothesis - so what's up with your desire to know what posotivism means viv

Do you actually read and understand what you are posting about? I ask because .... it seems you don't.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick
    I am a realistic deist, and see in the plight of the poor in these countries, that live in dire conditions, daily, not just in the danger of traffic, storms, waves, a failure of society to care, to share.

The creator seems to reward the strivers

Your vision of God is...you. You worship your world view and that's how you can excuse the inexcusable. A creator that created a world for life to live on, but also created it in such a way that earthquakes/tsunamis would kill vast numbers over history would be perverse. It's like a person creating a computer game and designing it so the environment would, over time, kill huge numbers of characters in the game.

A human might well do it for a laugh, but an almighty God? What kind of God would create an environment that would impact on his living creations so cataclysmically, over so many thousands of years?

• prologos
    prologos
    ws: "--A creator that created a world for life to live on, but also created it in such a way that earthquakes/tsunamis would kill vast numbers over history would be perverse.

It is not perverse, it is nature. it is the way it is , get used to it. All stars, all creatures before you have died so you as you are, can live. Some die young in accidents, other satisfied of old age, but death is part of life, it what keeps it moving. I happen to believe still, that the universe did not create itself. it took energy time & work to have it. yes you are right, I love to work, create novel things, ideas. it is a good purpose in life, remunerative too.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

it is nature. it is the way it is , get used to it.

I am.

But it does not bear the fingerprints of a God. Rather a series of events over aeons of time.

A big bang eventually followed by evolution.

Simple, cold, hard reality. No sky fairies need apply.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

So, after all of that, what is the purpose of life?

Life doesn't have a purpose - as in one that we need to find out from a God. Rather you can make your life have purpose. And, as a previous poster showed, you can just quote the end of Monty Python's Meaning of Life to summarise what that purpose can be:

Well, it's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Simple. That, plus a big dollop of empathy, covers it pretty nicely.

• prologos
    prologos
    wizzstick: "But it does not bear the fingerprints of a God

but you see, to me it does, I imagine, what if I had to make any of it, or all of it, myself by hand, and life for us humans today can be glorious, like the cathedral, the universe we live in, and yes the images of the majestic waves rolling in., wishing and working so nobody would get hurt.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

slimboyfat

Also, how come we've adopted Viv's odd spelling of positivism?

This topic created a new system of thought :
    Posovivism.
    :D

• cofty
    cofty
    The opium of the people. Like an abused wife who begs for her husband's love - Cofty
    This is victim blaming cofty - John_Mann

No of course it isn't.

If the god of Jesus exists, the death of a quarter of a million men women and infants, and the suffering of another 6 million is entirely his work.

The victims are in no way to blame. Quite a few theists tried to make it their fault in the Tsunami thread and I argued vociferously against them. See number 3 here...

Just like an abused wife, many of the victims of the tsunami look to the person who caused their suffering for relief.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people...
  • cofty
    cofty
    If we didn't have moving tectonic plates we wouldn't be here according to a popular hypothesis - Ruby

The tsunami was not a result of tectonics but of plates getting stuck at the subduction zone. Something that would have been trivially easy for the god of Jesus to prevent.

cofty your reply to me has worse implications for yourself than for me

As usual I haven't a clue what you mean.

• cofty
    cofty
    BTW, "shit happens" to me is an euphemism for secular mystery. So IMHO you can't even use the "shit happens" either.

Yes I can. It's simply an acceptance of the fact that the vicissitudes of life often have no intelligent agency.

Instead you should scientifically demonstrate for us why our minds perceiving evil at all (natural and man-made) is an evolutionary advantage.

You still haven't told me what you mean by "evil". Bad things happen. They cause us physical and emotional harm. I don't understand why you think this poses any sort of challenge to my worldview.

What was exactly the evolutionary pressure that made us the only specie to perceive evil?

Sorry but there are too many unfounded assumptions there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit