What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Prologos " Could not these seeming setbacks be incernments in life's journey to better adaption"

Anyway I feel I have gotten to know God fairly well since I left the W.T. In my opinion he believes the virus of violence begets more violence, and he uses nature and the drowning of babies, to teach us about this loving purpose. Sorry these are not the values of a loving God I will teach my son.

For once I whole heartedly agree with Cofty:- BOLLOCKS.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks john_Mann - for me this is supple evolution in practice. what people are saying and doing now in those areas testifies to human ingenuity, resilience and the ability to console themselves

cofty your reply to me has worse implications for yourself than for me - where is that digging one' s own grave emoticon when you need it

• prologos
    prologos
    C: "There was no selection pressure influencing which babies drowned.

Babies in 3 story concrete structures did not drown, but I was speaking in general terms. Catastrophes must have resulted in more drastic changes to the makeup of life, it's purpose, applied more selective pressures than long term opening of niches. or?

TR: Sorry these are not the values of a loving God I will teach my son.

Neither will I, -- my son and young daughter, but I teach them to be realists, foster love in the family, respect to those on the outside, but vigilance and firmness in the competition for life's prises. Thankfulness for the gift of creation we have. Striving for excellence. The creator seems to reward the strivers, to strive is a purpose of life. He seems to expect us to better ourselves.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

This thread " What is the purpose of life? Is way too deep for me, so good morning and goodnight. I am going to ring my mum and dad, ( haven't done that in a while) buy my boy an ice-cream when he comes back from school, and prepare a nice meal for the wife, which I hope will be a nice and delightful surprise.

p.s if a conclusion is reached, please will some kind poster P.M me the answer. :-)

• prologos
    prologos
    p.s if a conclusion is reached, please will some kind poster P.M me the answer.

It is better to travel than to arrive, enjoy the journey.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I am a realistic deist

So.... that's not a thing that exists.

If all the money donated at the retail level truly would reach these devastated areas

But if they donated all the money, then there would be no jobs, businesses, etc., and now all those at the retail level would be destitute and poor. Hardly realistic.

impenetrable shelters with medical facilities, vitels . could have been constructed.

So, those aren't a thing that exists. Now you need those retailers to generate tax income to fund research for this. Hardly realistic if they just gave it all away.

I am not blaming the sufferers, but do not agree that the creator, giver of the possibilities should be blamed for the inability of individuals, families or societies to mitigate danger.

You're quite willing to pretend that the people who didn't cause the problem should get the blame for not fixing what they didn't they break and be on the hook for it by proposing solutions that are unworkable and don't exists.

We've learned two things. Your god is still as asshole and there is no such thing as a realistic deist.

Why do you worship an asshole?

Could not these seeming setbacks be increments in life's journey to better adaptation?

Oh, well, if you think that killing children could be a way to a better life, I now no longer wonder why you worship an asshole.

Absolutely disgusting.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The main view of the people directly involved in natural disasters share this view. This is the very conclusion from the majority of victims. This point must be considered.

First, we're still waiting on your clarification on your definition of posotivism and your claim that you got it right as compared to Nicolau's definition. Why are you afraid to do that?

In any event, first, how are you able to claim that the conclusion is from the "majority" of victims? Are you citing a study? Did you talk to them? How are you aware of what the dead victims, including children and babies, said?

I kind of think this claim is bullshit.

You cannot blame people directly involved in the disaster if they find the faith in God explanation better than "shit happens". Rational minds search for meaning and these people chose not "shit happens", even under extreme circumstances

Ah, the old "I don't know what 'victim blaming' (or posovitism) is, but please eat some of this BS I just made up" gambit.

Cofty didn't blame anyone for anything. Try being honest for once.

You cannot have it both ways. Mystery and victim blaming are out of your deck of cards

Yeah, his comment was neither of those things. Do you actually know what any of the things you attempt to talk about are? I ask, because it doesn't seem so.

BTW, "shit happens" to me is an euphemism for secular mystery. So IMHO you can't even use the "shit happens" either.

That's because actually knowing why it happens involves science. It makes sense you would consider that a mystery.

Instead you should scientifically demonstrate for us why our minds perceiving evil at all (natural and man-made) is an evolutionary advantage.
    What was exactly the evolutionary pressure that made us the only specie to perceive evil?

First, how do you know that we are the only species to perceive evil? Second, in what way is your question related to this discussion? Third, it actually HAS been researched, there is a good answer and it did involve science, so I am in no way surprised you aren't aware of it.

BTW, don't forget to give us the what what on your definition of posotivism. The foundation of literally everything you say rests on you being correct on your definition of it, so it's somewhat surprising you're done everything you can to avoid showing that you know what it is, especially since it would be so easy to do. It's almost like your quoted words on it won't match reality so you're afraid to do it.

Anywho, tootles!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

If we didn't have moving tectonic plates we wouldn't be here according to a popular hypothesis - so what's up with your desire to know what posotivism means viv

• Heaven
    Heaven

The Rebel said: This thread " What is the purpose of life? Is way too deep for me, so good morning and goodnight. I am going to ring my mum and dad, ( haven't done that in a while) buy my boy an ice-cream when he comes back from school, and prepare a nice meal for the wife, which I hope will be a nice and delightful surprise.

p.s if a conclusion is reached, please will some kind poster P.M me the answer. :smile:

The Rebel, I think you've just posted the answer.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    so what's up with your desire to know what posotivism means viv
    Also, how come we've adopted Viv's odd spelling of positivism? ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit