What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    There have been several kinds of human (or species of Homo).

Yes, I said that.

I said the HSS is the only one remained. The other Homo became extinct.

Not only that but the bicameral HSS also became instinct in recent history.

The other species of Homo probably had a kind of primitive bicameral mind too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The other Homo became extinct

Sounds like a fragment from an anti-gay tirade. ;-)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The other Homo became extinct - but survived for hundreds of thousands (in some cases millions) of years.

I've read that there is some evidence that H. neandertalensis hunted mammoths by using fire to drive them over cliffs. They then used tools such as spears and blades to administer the coup de grace and cut up portions of mammoth meat. No mean feat. This was tens of thousands of years ago.

H. ergaster lived from approx. 1.9 to 1.4 million years ago. This species of ancient human apparently had vibrant culture(s) and technologies and also manufactured tools. The structure of the hip and limb bones strongly suggests they walked upright.

Let's not forget that these extinct species of Homo were sophisticated animals - much more sophisticated than most extant species.

Did these extinct species of Homo possess a soul? Did they worship god or gods? Are some in heaven?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Yes, this is the Thomistic view on soul. Is based on Aristotle indeed.

View? You said theory. Which is it? I ask because "theory" is science. It is supported by evidence, experiment, observation and experiment. You just tried to support what you said with evidence. Posovitism? Are you doing exactly what you accuse other of?

Oh you! You're such a hypocrite!

I didn't said that. I said animals, humanoids and anatomically modern humans can live without the immortal soul (Psyche) but not without the mortal souls (vegetative and sensitive or Anima).

No, you said god gave some humanoid animals souls, that made those specific animals human, who then had sex with the non-ensouled animals. That's a clear case of bestiality.

Why does your religion promote bestiality?

So, anyway, you STILL have't shown us how your definition of posovitism is correct. Why are you so afraid to do that? Seriously, if you were in fact correct, it would take... two, maybe three sentences? Why won't you do it?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    View? You said theory. Which is it? I ask because "theory" is science.

I didn't mean scientific theory, but this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_theory

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Did these extinct species of Homo possess a soul?

Yes. But only mortal souls, vegetative and sensitive ones. They didn't possess the immortal one, Psyche.

Did they worship god or gods?

Yes but in a different way. Their behaviour were similar to bicameral Homo sapiens sapiens.

Are some in heaven?

No. Their entire existence was annihilated. Heaven is one destination primarily for Psyche (directly created immortal soul). Psyche is the only part of man that survives biological death.

Let's not forget that these extinct species ofHomo were sophisticated animals - much more sophisticated than most extant species.

But they lacked the ability to adapt and evolve technology. Some Homo used the same tools during millions of years. Any change in environment meant extinction. Clearly their minds worked in a very different way in relation to Hss.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I didn't say this knowledge is scientific (it can't be) but is philosophical.
    And internally there's logical consistency in this system.

Philosophy is about improving what we know and how we think. You certainly aren't doing any of that, in fact, you're doing quite the opposite. You're anti-philosophizing, really.

If you read about Bicameralism you'll find more explanations about what I mean.

Bicameralism is literally nothing more than something some guy said that you've chosen to fall for.

I am curious what your criteria for belief is. Is is "some guy said it" or "it makes me feel good"?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I didn't mean scientific theory, but this:

In the general sense, a philosophical position[1] is a position that explains or accounts for a general philosophy or specific branch of philosophy.

That's science, attempting to explain or account for something. But, even then, thomistic views on the soul aren't a general philosophy or specific branch of philosophy. There is no thomistic philosophy of the soul, so you can't have even really meant what you're claiming to have meant.

Anyway, you've yet to show how your claims about posotivism are correct. Please do that and quit avoiding it.

But they lacked the ability to adapt and evolve technology. Some Homo used the same tools during millions of years. Any change in environment meant extinction. Clearly their minds worked in a very different way in relation to Hss

Ooops.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/becoming-human-the-origin-of-stone-tools-55335180/

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Bicameralism is literally nothing more than something some guy said that you've chosen to fall for.

That's not the opinion of the two major advocates of Atheism.

Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion (2006) wrote of The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind:

"It is one of those books that is either complete rubbish or a work of consummate genius, nothing in between! Probably the former, but I'm hedging my bets."

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

The philosopher Daniel Dennett on Bicameralism:

"If we are going to use this top-down approach, we are going to have to be bold. We are going to have to be speculative, but there is good and bad speculation, and this is not an unparalleled activity in science. […] Those scientists who have no taste for this sort of speculative enterprise will just have to stay in the trenches and do without it, while the rest of us risk embarrassing mistakes and have a lot of fun." --Daniel Dennett[23]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit