Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• cobweb
    cobweb

I'm the same as Ruby, although its not Christendom. Secular humanism.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Me too. Secular humanism embraces human reason, ethics, social justice, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the bases of morality and decision making.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Cassaruby,

Seriously,

I've noticed a lot of Evangelical Christians,

Don't necessarily like the news,

Just report it,

:0)

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    The only evidence for the Bible is contained within the covers of the book itself. Outside of the book it's a different animal -- CASSARUBY

If I find God a blur within my interior belief, there is no wonder there are disputes when others share their perceptions here.

These bizarre and challenging stories are embedded in my brain.
    -BoCotR

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    For instance say you're an adult and you get out of a cult. -- CASSARUBY

I love Christ. Jehovah is another matter. He terrorized me with his immoral actions. An old, prudish man hurling plagues, thunderbolts, and mass genocide is not worthy of worship. A male god who suppresed the existing goddess cults will never receive my attention.

-BoCotR

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Just throwin my .02 cents in

As JW's we are trained to break down and dispute others belief systems. Than when they have no response to our well rehearsed reasoning from the scriptures logic, we supplement JW teachings as sound and infallible.

When someone wakes up to the truth about the troof, all pretense of a higher power or creator as presented by the big 3 religions has holes and flaws in it.

Image result for a mind stretched never returns

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/af/e7/f0afe7ba7f91079462d6c8c161b8babd.jpg

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

Because we were disillusioned and we don't want it to happen again.
    After I left the WT I spent (or wasted, some could argue) the next 18 years of my life searching for the true religion. I attended many churches and went near-sighted reading the Bible, Apocrypha, Book of Mormon, Calvin, Augustine, Aquinas, ad nauseum.

Once I concluded the Christianity was a total fraud, I looked into Islam (another big scam) and then some of the eastern "religions". I have to admit that Buddhism and Hinduism are actually good forms of psychology if you discount all the supersitious accretions and metaphysical speculation. Lao-tzu and Confucius were great ethical philosophers, but they weren't prophets (nor did they claim to be).

Eventually I just concluded that religion is bunk. I tend to shy away from generalizations, but I can say quite confidently that every person who has ever claimed to receive a revelation from God was either deluded or, more likely, a charlatan. Harsh? Maybe, but keep in mind that I spent EIGHTEEN years of my life in a sincere search for truth and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Religion is, even at its best, an utter waste of time and energy that could be spent much more productively. If anyone hungers for truth then they should apply themselves to philosophy, mathematics, and science (in that order). Pythagoras, Plato, and Liebniz grasped more about the true nature of reality than any theologian. Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy offers more hope than any apocalyptic eschatology. Science has improved more lives, healed more illnesses, and eliminated more poverty than an army of the most well-meaning saints ever could. Banish faith and embrace reason! Your life can only change for the better.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I too have found that the belief system which most resonates with me is that of secular humanism. After years of trying to ignore my sense of reason to accept some piece of theology or another, I do not relish the thought of going through the whole process once again with another religion.

Therefore until God communicates with me directly, I shall remain an agnostic at best. As for whether or not I would worship God after that, all I can say is that it would depend on his answers to certain questions I have about his decision-making process.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Finding out that everything I believed as a Jehovah's Witness was a lie started a process of questioning that inevitability led to my becoming an atheist. I had accepted so many things that turned out not to be true that it made me question everything. It was not immediate, it was probably five years from when I left the religion that I realized I no longer believed in God. I did not come to this realization lightly, I actually wanted to still believe in God. But things arent true just because you want them to be, and I couldn't fool myself. I had worked to hard to rid myself of one flawed belief system to blindly still believe in another. I realized that I had believed in God because from a very early age I had been told he existed, that is all. Just as people born in Muslim countries believe in Allah, I believed in Jehovah because I was born in a Christian country. I found, when I looked at it objectively, that I could no longer see any evidence of God's existence. It's like you have seen the man behind the curtain and you cannot just unsee him and pretend everything is normal, it just doesn't work like that.

It's like if someone came up to you and told you about the wonders of Pink Unicorn, how happy it makes them, how they have such a great relationship with Pink Unicorn.But.....they have never actually seen Pink Uniicorn, they feel him in their heart and Oh My! if you just believe, you will feel him too. I had seen the error of accepting something simply because others were convinced, I just couldn't go there again.

I've heard many times from believers that Atheists just do not believe in God because they want to do bad, or they want to be selfish. I can tell you that is is a common misconception. I am more moral now than when I was a JW, because I don't make the mistake of substituting someone else's idea of morality for my own.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I really would like to believe in a god. Unfortunately, I spent my life in a cult and my god centered spirituality is spent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit