Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

We are basically dreamers - if we weren't we would not be here - I think it is crucial to hold onto our dreams, our speculations, our experimentations etc

metaphors are only one part of the many gears we have crafted.

• Onager
    Onager

Atheism isn't a choice, it's a conclusion.

It's a conclusion that leaves you open to making many different choices though.

Work things out on your own.

Work things out with other people.

Ignore it all and just get on with your life.

Become an activist and join other like minded people in attacking religion.

Decide you were wrong and start worshipping Dagoth the dreaming god...

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Has anyone heard of the dyslexic atheist No? Well he didn't believe in DOG

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

This is one of THOSE threads. Troll or not troll. Either way I can't be bothered with this sort of thread anymore. Just saying, in case you miss my input.

• schnell
    schnell
    so how would you explain a talking snake?????

I would be completely surprised if it didn't have to do with the zodiacal sign of Scorpio, which has not only been pictured as a scorpion but as a serpent and an eagle.

Another instance: In Revelation, there are 4 angels standing before God. One is a man, one is a bull, one is a lion, and one is an eagle. Now go look at a circular diagram of the Zodiac.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I'm baffled. If someone came to the conclusion that Atheism is the most reasonable path to take, then how can one say they are an atheist without choosing to be one based on their conclusion.

If someone asks me why I like chocolate or vanilla no matter what reasoning I use to pick it is ultimately because I simply chose one of the options despite how I justify myself.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i never chose to be a jw. my parents did--when i was a kid. i had no choice. when i was a grown man--married--my own kid on the way--i chose to resign from the jw cult. i did not believe in god, the devil--angels demons etc. no interest in living forever. so--remaining a jw was not an option for me. why would i want to choose to remain in such a narrow minded insignificant silly religion. i had much better things to do with my life.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Chocolate or vanilla ice cream? I like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla. I don't CHOOSE to like chocolate more than vanilla; as far as I'm concerned CHOCOLATE IS BETTER THAN VANILLA.

I choose to believe that this is one of the stupidest threads ever.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

What really got me about Campbell was that being in awe of God put me in awe of experiencing life itself. I love being in awe of life. It helps me to figure out what brings me bliss in life. What calls to me so I know my calling in life. Which tends to change at times.

I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to benefit from the Bible when interpreted by literal extremes, tho I found that viewing many parts of scriptures metaphorically make a lot of sense.

For example, Adam and eve's original sin. Literally, talking snakes sound crazy. Metaphorically, it represents something I can relate to, which is why humans never seem to live in harmony with the world without someone messing something up. In fact, it makes sense why I mess things up myself.

Baptism represents giving up relying on my ego to do things, and letting my intuition do the work.

Literally, in the resurrection Jesus ascends to heaven. Metaphorically, Jesus descends into the mystic waters of his consciousness to be in awe of the mystery of life.

Without the metaphors we are on our own to give meaning to our lives, and discover our own insights. My father is a man of reason and I respect his choice to follow reason and reject faith. He seems quite capable, so I can see how other's prefer I life centered in reason too. I value reason and faith myself

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Is it possible that you did choose chocolate over vanilla and it's as simple as that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit