Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

"Traumatic as the initial transition may be, it can lead to the development of a truly personal relationship with these two greatest Friends [the Father and the Son] . . .

"Whatever sense of 'belonging' that membership in some religious system may create, it can never compare with the power and beauty and strengthening benefit of the intimate personal relationship the Scripture presents . . ."

From reading Joseph Campbell I've come to understand that there are functions to religion or mythology. It seems to me that most followers of any particular religion miss out on these functions and that is why the way is narrow. He also states that people without a mythology are essentially on their own to figure out life. I know personally that if I was on my own I'd be in a lot of trouble. I also take Joseph Campbell's approach of interpreting the Bible metaphorically, which works wonders for me. I am by no means a model Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell

I've been studying with some pretty cool jdubs for like 2 years now and I know for sure I have no interest in becoming a Jehovah's Witness. I have found that I've gained many insights from the particular elder I've studied with. After coming to understand the Watchtower organization I find it completely terrifying and insecure. I plan on telling them that I need time to study the Bible on my own before I make a choice soon, just to let them down easy.

I have compassion for those who have left or been disfellowshipped, yet also for those who become atheist or agnostic. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that choice. It just seems to me that it might be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, so to speak.

I'd appreciate any feedback friends.

• evilApostate
    evilApostate

It's not a choice my friend. Atheists lack belief because they have never seen any convincing evidence for the existence of God. Agnostics don't care because it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God.

There are people who believe in fairies. Do you? If your answer is no, then why don't you believe in fairies? Do you see my point?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that choice. It just seems to me that it might be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, so to speak.

If you don't find anything inherently wrong with that then why are you using the metaphor of jumping from frying pan into the fire? The metaphor is the same as referring to the greater of two evils (the fire).

• rebel8
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It just seems to me that it might be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire,

You`re afraid of the unknown..

Agnostics are not..

If you don`t know,you don`t know..

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I don't know what you mean that faith, or lack thereof, is not a choice. I don't believe in fairies.

I see your point about the metaphor. I guess I don't think it's wrong to hang out in frying pans or fires. I figured since I don't like hanging out in them I might reach someone else like me, or not, whatever.

Mostly I'm curious why a former jehovah's witness would make a direct 180 and run the other way instead of making use of the positive things they discovered.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I have compassion for those who have left or been disfellowshipped, yet also for those who become atheist or agnostic. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that choice. It just seems to me that it might be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, so to speak.

Could you be more condescending? The words I quoted from you gives me the impression that you seem to think that we, atheists and agnostics, need acceptance and understanding from believers. Who the heck are you for me to even listen to you? What do you have to say that we haven't heard before? And what makes you thing that our decision to be agnostics or atheists comes about only and exclusively from our experiences in the WT organization?

I strongly suggest you to look at the grandiosity that you display in your post. Then after that, just mind your own business and let others live.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mostly I'm curious why a former jehovah's witness would make a direct 180 and run the other way instead of making use of the positive things they discovered.

We did..

We discovered the WBT$ is "Full of Shit" and we left..

• schnell
    schnell

Cool! I read Campbell as well as Manly P. Hall, and I've touched on Jung as well. I totally get the metaphorical aspect. The Power of Myth marked the very moment when I realized I don't believe in a personal god.

A little bit of philosophy makes one an atheist. A bit more, aaand ya know.

I totally get the metaphor of the monomyth (birth, youth, adulthood, death...), and I wrote in a reply just last night quite directly about this.

There's absolutely a place for rationalism. I do consider myself a rationalist, naturalist, and not a spiritualist. However, as Campbell alluded, we lose some of the experience with that too. It's a two-edged sword.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

"Born again" is used metaphorically wouldn't you say, so how would you explain a talking snake????? I was stuck in the first book of the Bible, is it all metaphorical???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit