Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• tepidpoultry
  • Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Yay

• cofty
    cofty

There is no contradiction between being rational and feeling a sense of awe and wonder. It's not an either:or

Let your beliefs be commensurate with the evidence.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

There isn't evidence when it's poetical.

The only evidence for the Bible is contained within the covers of the book itself. Outside of the book it's a different animal

• A Ha
    A Ha
    For instance say you're an adult and you get out of a cult. You're figuring out what to do next and evidence leads you to reason. Naturally, would you choose to follow reason compared to the the other options available?

I think it becomes an issue of semantics. I think a better way to phrase it would be, "I believe that following reason is the most effective course, so I choose to follow it." You can believe that reason is the best course yet choose not to follow it, or you can believe that some other option is better than reason, but you don't choose to believe that reason is the best course, you come to believe it because that's where the evidence led you.

If we drop the quibbling over the word "choose" I think most atheists have given similar answers to your question; that's where the evidence led.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I agree with you a ha. I just have an fixation with that word

• tepidpoultry
  • Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Alright new question. What denomination of Christendom are ex-jdubs most likely to join?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Humanism

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Oh is that a denomination of Christendom?

I know the most obvious answer would be none of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit