Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    I define faith as an emotional belief in the mystery that is involved in experiencing life

Yes there are many things about life the universe and everything that we can't fully understand. But what do you mean by having "an emotional belief" in mysteries?

• cobweb
    cobweb
    I define faith as an emotional belief in the mystery that is involved in experiencing life.

On that basis, does it matter to you whether something in the bible actually happened or not? Does it matter if Jesus said the things he did or as Saename said, whether a particular book is a forgery or not? If it is so reliant on emotion then the emotion could just as easily come about whether these things happened or not. Just like a novel can make a strong emotional impact and resonate and seem very true to us.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I mean the emotion deep in my consciousness that creates a sense of awe in the universe that can only be expressed poetically. Faith leads me to the word God. God being the closest word to express that awe

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

No it doesn't matter to me whether those things actually happened. Not that I disregard that they could of happened tho. I don't really know what exactly unfolded because I wasn't there. Metaphorically it all still works. Was Jesus equal to Jah? He may as well have been.

• cofty
    cofty
    God being the closest word to express that awe

So god is just a metaphor for the awesome sense of wonder.

Congratulations you're an atheist.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    I mean the emotion deep in my consciousness that creates a sense of awe in the universe that can only be expressed poetically.

I recognise that feeling. That emotional sense of awe does not require belief in a God. Atheists feel it too when they look at the night sky or are in nature. The Universe is amazing for sure.

• A Ha
    A Ha
    Cassaruby - I choose not to believe in fairies, except for metaphorical fairies. Like grimms fairy tales is a book I like.

I think this is probably not the case. Let's try an experiment: For the next 10 minutes, believe that you're an elephant. Not in a metaphorical or mystical sense; a literal elephant, weighing six tons, with tusks and a long trunk. I don't think you could honestly believe it. We don't choose our beliefs, though we can choose to ignore evidence that is contrary to what we already believe, which certainly influences or strengthens/weakens beliefs.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

All I'm saying is that mythologic books help us to connect to our consciousness that leads to God. Like a shortcut or a helper. The metaphors are symbols that do the connecting. Otherwise you're on your own to figure life out, which happens to be a valid choice too.

I appreciate mythological books and having faith particularly in the Bible. I'm no fan of all the rules tho, specifically the ones that don't serve to help me anymore.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I think we choose our beliefs. It's the only real point I'm actually arguing instead of discussing.

Often subconscious choices that we don't make deliberately through awareness.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    No it doesn't matter to me whether those things actually happened. Not that I disregard that they could of happened tho. I don't really know what exactly unfolded because I wasn't there. Metaphorically it all still works.

Thanks, that is an illuminating comment and I think I understand where you are coming from now. You have a poetic soul and I think you enjoy the deep meaning of the stories, no matter the origin. You are interpreting the bible in a unique way. I have no problem with that. You would find beauty and meaning in other religious texts and mythology too I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit