What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

hey punk you sound the way I felt once I found this forum what is the point? imagine this punk one day the world faces a crisis and the only one who can figure out what to do is a young scientist named mr punk the 6th.Only he can find the solution to the problem and he wouldn't even be here if t wasn't for his great great grandfather punkof nice.

Or he discovers a cure for cancer or some other disease facing mankind.after winning the nobel prize in medicine he goes home to pay homage to his forefathers of which by that time there will be hologram images of his forefathers in his library.

Or think of it this way you never truly die because as you decay you are absorbed back into the earth to go and help other organisms live.

point is you are needed you've helped me out sometimes with your comments and for that i'm grateful

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ok so I thought of an illustration(TM).

Once I was on a cruise. It was a very nice boat but the trip did not turn out at all like I had planned. My single friend brought her mama with us (without telling me she was doing this) and mama got constant doting. So I was alone all the time.

The ship was really nice but I was hoping for a more hoppin' singles experience--I went to the "club" and was the only one there. When we did the muster drill, they asked singles to raise their hands and less than 10 people total raised their hands--I kid you not. I tried to talk to the single gentlemen but they responded like I was an infidel tart and would not talk back. It was more of a "rich senior citizen" type of experience.

So I pouted for a while. I had spent my $ and limited vacation time on this. I was mad at my friend. I wanted to get off the ship and fly home.

Then I decided, what the hell, I'm just going to make the best of it. I've already spent the $ and there's nothing I can do to change that.

Relaxation was widely available, so I soaked myself in the various hot tubs until I was a raisin. I went to all the events on the schedule. I learned how to fold napkins into shapes. I learned to dance the Hustle with an overly tanned wrinkly dude in a Speedo and thick gold chains buried in lots of chest hair. I ate some extremely good food. I struck up conversations with the staff. I looked at the stars. I felt the breeze. I read lots of books.

So life is not what we would like it to be, but it's all there is. You can make the best of it or not, but the outcome's the same.

The moral of the story is you need to take a Hustle lesson.

• theliberator
    theliberator

The apostle Paul felt the same way.

1 Corinthians: 15. 32. If I fought with animals at Ephesus for human purposes, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, then "let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."

• millie210
    millie210

Well punk,

can I give you a very selfish response?

When I came here I was full of despair. I didnt really know what to do or how to go on.

YOU were so very kind to me. And you didnt know it but you made me laugh. Your tongue in cheek way of poking fun at yourself and at life made me think maybe I could get back to feeling that way someday myself.

So theres your purpose punk! You make us all feel good!

When I think of favorite posters here you are tops.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

what's the bloody point of it all?

Saw your photo. You are a likable dude. You should like yourself too.

The point of it all is justice.

As you experience and everyone else too, life is not everything. You have heard expressions like "it is better to die on your feet than live to live your knees, etc. You are not alone in the "suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.. whips and scorns of the oppressor's wrong.."

Also, mental depression can make things seem worse than they really are.

You need to have the courage to let go and rely on God. You should be able to communicate with God and I do not mean talking to a wall. When you realize that the horse talks back, you will see the point.

Hang on to life, poi.

That is how I see it.

• steve2
    steve2

Fisherman wrote:

You need to have the courage to let go and rely on God. You should be able to communicate with God and I do not mean talking to a wall. When you realize that the horse talks back, you will see the point.

One of the risks in asking "what's the point of it all?" is people will answer.

You will then have to wade through all kinds of answers and it will quickly occur to you that two categories predominate: Some will advocate the importance of human experience and learning , while others will advocate "divine" answers of one kind or another.

The trick will be to view with scepticism answers that are like 'jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire". Thankfully, some answers are (perhaps) unintentionally silly. You can give them short shrift and focus on those that reflect hard-won human courage and experience. I would suggest that any answer that incorporates 'communicating with God' and 'a horse talking back' has silly written all over it.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

people will answer. Steve

No point at all if God does not answer. That was my point

'communicating with God' and 'a horse talking back' has silly written all over it.

"Talking horse" not only alludes to the expression: "from the horse's mouth" but also infers that God talks back! -silly as it may seem to you.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I don't have answers, only a personal story, one that kind of mirrors the cruise story above.

My JW upbringing led to me turning away lots of scholarships to pioneer. I went on to work crap jobs and no matter what I did I ended up back in the cleaning industry. I could earn more money than the other skills I had to work with. No matter how many times I got out of cleaning, I ended back up there. My wife and I started our own business (self-employed) and although I'm really good at cleaning my mind craved more. I was always looking for something else to get into so that once again I could get out of cleaning. Over time I grew to hate it. I was depressed and suicidal at points, not that I can blame it all on cleaning. The lack of fulfillment there was just one piece of the puzzle that was my life that I hated and wanted to leave.

One day I had a perspective shift. Instead of fighting it, instead of trying to get out of cleaning yet again, I decided that maybe Jehovah (this was back in the dub days) was trying to tell me something because I always ended up in cleaning again. So I stopped trying to control everything, surrendered, and took a look at what I did with fresh eyes.

I don't just clean houses. I get to help families maintain their sanity. I get to work with my wife and don't have to work long hours and not see her. I get to talk to really nice, interesting people. I get to listen to podcasts and books and learn all day about anything I want. I get to talk to people about their problems and offer guidance and help, or just a listening ear, which is sometimes all people need. I get to talk to people about what's going on in my life as well and get that same listening ear, or sometimes a helpful word. Every morning on the way to work we start our day in the car by listing our "happy's", things that we're grateful for or looking forward to that day.

So here I am doing the exact same work that I was doing for all of those years that I yearned to escape. I saw no point to it. It was just something to do. But cleaning gave me so much, including a group of supportive friends, not just clients, but true friends that my wife and I relied on during the most difficult time in our life while leaving the Witnesses behind and DA'ing. That thing that I wanted to run away from became my lifeline and I can never appreciate that enough.

Sometimes a simple perspective change can make a world of difference. I don't know what the future will hold. For my whole life I thought I could control it by simply doing enough or being enough as a JW but I was miserable. Now I freely admit that I don't know what the future holds but that's not all I have to look forward to anymore. It was the JWs that had me always forward thinking and now I live in the present and I'm sure to find things to appreciate. I take a camera with me every day to force me to look for small things like a cool cloud formation, the sun reflecting off of something, a flower, a dog, some kids playing (ok, I don't take a pic of that so that people don't find me creepy but I can still appreciate it), and just so many little things that make life beautiful.

Find connection in the present, and the future will hold whatever it will hold. You can't control it. Joy or happiness are feelings in the present. Find that and you won't worry so much about the future. Admittedly, I have some persistent unwanted thoughts about the future myself, but when I start going down that path I bring myself back to the present, and in the end when my time comes instead of feeling awful that life is ending, I want to be able to look back at all of the cool things I got to do, the time I shared with my wife, and the friends that I made. I want to appreciate what I can have an influence on and forget what I can't. I hope the same for you.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    To make it to the end with your boots still on... so you don't stub your toe when you kick the bucket.
  • transhuman68
    transhuman68

What is the point? The point is you - live your life, make your own successes & failures, find your own path regardless of other people's opinions, so you have no regrets- you own it all. Celebrate life, and keep marching on when you can't.

I always liked that song by Seal, 'Crazy', and as I get older I think being totally rational can be overrated,.

Maybe it is best to be a little crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit